[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much does your written voice differ from your spoken voice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: photo_2914_landscape_650x433.jpg (258KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2914_landscape_650x433.jpg
258KB, 650x433px
How much does your written voice differ from your spoken voice? What does it mean if it does? I can't help writing like a 19th century philosopher 75% of the time, but I talk more like, just, the Dude, man.
>>
>he only has the one authorial voice
>>
>>9573471

I think people would be shocked because when I communicate online it's way more thought out and I use words I wouldn't when speaking, in person I talk just like typical people around my area and probably sound pretty dense.
>>
>>9573471
Bumping with another question, that probably could have had its own thread but what the hell. Did you guys know about this? It's called persuasive language.
>tfw to be a really good writer you have to master all of these techniques
Despair...

Assumptive Adverb Opener: Obviously, it works.
Connection Language: Attaching and pushing away.
Experiential Language: Talk about real experience.
Final Impact: Put the impact at the end of the sentence.
Future Language: Using the future in persuasion.
Hidden Commands: Burying commands in sentences.
The Hook: Grabbing them.
Intensifiers: increasing the emotional impact of a statement.
Money Words: Appeal to greed.
Object Focus: Focus on the object and let the subject slip by.
Perceptual language: What you perceive, not what is.
Possibility Language: Talking about what could be.
Power Words: Words that have special meaning.
The Power of Abbreviation: Short but powerful.
Pre-apology: Sorry, but...
Pre-excusing: This may not work, but ...
Pre-thanking: Thank you for...
Pronoun Language: I, you and so on add power.
Punch Words: Words with impact.
Sensory Language: Language that evokes senses.
Short Sentences: Like this. That work. Of course.
Superiority Words: That grab status.
Temporal Language: Changing time and hence meaning.
Trivializing Words: Deflating what others say.
Using Pauses: Adding power with very largely nothing.
>>
That's a good question. When I've been reading a lot of old-timey books for a long time, I unintentionally write the simplest stuff in the most formal, elaborate way. I haven't been reading for a while so now I write more chill. But yeah, sometimes it's embarrassing, I reread what I wrote and it's way too complex and formal for quite simple situations.
>>
>>9574741
It's kind of like a character, or a game for me at this point. It's just too bad I'm the only player.
>>
>Can get people in hyponisis with my words
>Disappointed when they read my writing
>"You just need to write like how you talk anon"

Granted, my grammar is rather poor........
>>
>>9573534
If that post is suppsoed to show how you communicate more clearly online and "use words you wouldn't use when speaking" you must talk like adowns kid in elementary school irl.
>>
make style a concern, forget self.
>>
I'm making a conscious effort to make my writing more concise and less flowery. I'm tired of writing like a pretentious schoolboy trying to prove how smart he is. I certainly don't speak like one, even if I am one.
>>
>>9573471

im like that as well. it's fine. the whole idea behind writing books is so you can take the time to find the language for your thoughts rather than succumbing to and spitting out whatever stupid bullshit your reflexive sublimations of popular rhetoric cook up on the spot.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.