[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Anyone else reading less because their attention span is dying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1474549616059.png (467KB, 1170x900px)
1474549616059.png
467KB, 1170x900px
Anyone else reading less because their attention span is dying? I don't know if it's stress, anxiety or I have fully become a millenial but I can't even finish a film anymore, let alone a book.

I can write for hours and hours, but reading lasts maybe 20 minutes.
>>
>>9572676
I can program for 20 hours in full focus but barely read a page of prose. I only browse this board to think about how I could some day read one of these cool books you cool guys read.
>>
>>9572676
Yeah, except it's way harder for me to focus on a movie than read.
Anyone have concentration tips/supplementation? Can't find Adderall unfortunately
>>
>>9572685
I use modafinil but sometimes I get distracted and post on /lit/ for hours (like now). On a good day I can write for 3/4 hours without stopping. I will probably try:

>Meditation.
This has helped me in the past with focus and anxiety
>Exercise
Been sitting on my ass all day builds up a lot of energy I'm not releasing.
>Therapy
Personal issues are shit.
>>
>>9572676
Sounds more to me like you are just at a stage of mental refraction instead of reflection. When I read, I am always looking to add something to my own ideas, concepts, ect. But when I draw heavily, I can not read or take in anything new. You are just going through anything cycle of output. You have to release some build up of mental forms before you can start processing new information. Hope this helps.
>>
Nah, my attention span is generally fine. It only goes to shit when i don't sleep, for obvious reasons, but i have a lot of trouble sleeping, so it fucks me up quite a lot.
>>
>>9572676
No, I'm reading more because I spend less time on my computer and phone. The more frequently I read and the longer I stay away from the internet, the longer my attention span grows.
>>
>>9572699
You're probably right. I am in the process of editing my TV pilot and I can't concentrate on much else because that's always at the front of my mind.

That really has helped because I feel like a pretentious twat when I can't concentrate on stuff because I want to write.

What do you do? Do you write?
>>
>>9572717
I draw more than anything, but I read whenever I have the drive to do so. I was never any good at creative writing. In college, I was pretty decent at writing a thesis, but we all know doing that is just making an argument, so.....
>>
>>9572739
I miss drawing. Had a gut punch moment yesterday when I uncovered by old bamboo tablet and couldn't find the stylus anywhere.

I completely relate to the input/output cycle idea. I always feel like I have days where I want to watch five films and days where I can't do anything but create.
>>
>>9572676
it's a symptom of depression
>>
>>9572676
What works for you might be something you've never heard of before. That's what would it would look like for most people if they were integrated with their desires. I go back and forth consuming things usually with the intention of ultimately finishing each. An internal balance is something subjective but surprisingly autistic if you know when to say "for now, I get the message". Clichés like the frantic creative genius writing on his hand between coffee bars play on this notion of multi-tasking to make it seem exclusive to a type.
>>
>>9572742
I am currently using drafting markers and pen as my mediums of choice. Makes for a nice earthy combination of detail. I am sad for your loss. Pic related.

There is nothing wrong with achieving your goals or completing your drive cycle. As long as you are not sacrificing everything for that desire, which then is an obsession and you need help, than you are doing just fine.
>>
>>9572682
Same here just not programming. I love monotonous work but I'm not a good reader anymore.
Such a shame because I was extremely linguistically gifted when I was young and I let that potential die.
>>
>>9572676
I'm actually reading more. The more i read, the more books and authors i discover and get into
>>
>>9572676
I'm reading less because I'm slowly losing my vision to vascular occlusion. But yeah op, sure, that sounds rough.
>>
File: donut_steal_2.png (24KB, 698x670px) Image search: [Google]
donut_steal_2.png
24KB, 698x670px
>>9572676
I read a complete novella last Friday when I was sitting on a train and my cellphone died. The less diversions (especially internet diversions) the better, at least for me.
>>
>>9572676
Its fucking social media and diversion on demand. I cant fix myself
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.