[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>learning another language doesn't increase your intelig-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Polish Angel.jpg (89KB, 950x1424px) Image search: [Google]
Polish Angel.jpg
89KB, 950x1424px
>learning another language doesn't increase your intelig-

>By learning a language, you permanently change structures in your brain. Bilingual brains are measurably different than monolingual brains—certain brain regions are more developed—and recent studies show that you don’t need to be bilingual from birth to show these telltale signs of bilingualism. You just need to learn a language and maintain it; the better you learn it and the longer you maintain it, the more your brain will change.
How does this affect you in your daily life? When you learn a language, you permanently improve your memory—you’ll be able to memorize faster and easier. You’ll multitask better. Bilingual people are better at focusing on tasks and ignoring distractions. They’re more creative. They’re better problem solvers. Bilingual students beat monolinguals in standardized tests of English, math, and science.
All of these advantages—collectively known as the bilingual effect—aren’t the result of natural, inborn intelligence. Most bilinguals never choose to be bilingual; they just happen to grow up in bilingual families. The bilingual effect is a kind of learned intelligence, and by picking up a new language, you get it too.
Why does the bilingual effect exist? There’s a lot of research left to do, but current results point to a particularly peculiar cause: learning a language makes it harder to think.
>When you learn French, you effectively implant a little Frenchman in your head who never shuts up. Even when you’re trying to think in English, he sits in the background, mumbling away in French. There’s no off switch. Tip-of-the-tongue moments: bilinguals get them more frequently than monolinguals, because they have twice as many words to search through. Bilinguals even have a harder time naming simple objects—that’s a table, that’s a cat. While they usually find the words they’re looking for, they take longer to find them, because they’re always wrestling with that mumbling Frenchman.
On the surface, this sounds terrible, like a kind of learned schizophrenia. But your brain adapts. In the process of learning to speak a new language, you necessarily learn to muffle and ignore your native language. You learn to focus in the face of constant linguistic distraction, and as a result, your brain gets better at focusing in general. It’s like walking around with weights attached to your ankles; after a while, your body adapts—you get stronger—and you forget all about them. Language learning is a form of strength training for your brain.
Not only does your brain get stronger, it gets healthier, too. Bilingual brains are more resistant to the wear and tear of age. Studies show a marked delay in the onset of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease for bilinguals. On average, elderly bilinguals will show symptoms of dementia five years later than monolinguals, and if they’ve learned more than two languages, then the effects are even stronger.
>>
>>9569347
cute slut, shame about the stash
>>
>>9569347
Nice post
>>
The voices in my head are getting louder. I think they talk about killing, but on a really large scale.
I'm görman.
>>
>>9569362
I had to squint to notice anything there. When you shave your face, do you get your forehead too?
>>
>>9569399
>not shaving your entire face
>>
Repeat with me: all advice from /lit/ is bad advice, always do the opposite of what /lit/ says, why would /lit/ ever suggest you to do something beneficial
>>
>>9569347
>tfw you have a little eternal anglo in your head
sheeeeet
>>
>>9569347
wew
>>
>>9569347
What about trilinguals? Quadrilinguals? Five languages? The pope?
>>
EVERY FUCKING DAY, TORMENT ME WITH THOSE JEZEBELS etc.
>>
>>9569347
It barely matters, only Americans are monolingual nowadays.
>>
The little anglo became the leader. And as for the brazilian, he doesn't bug me. I effortlessly snap between each one.
>>
>>9569347
>By learning a language, you permanently change structures in your brain.
Same when you smoke cigs
>Bilingual brains are measurably different than monolingual brains—certain brain regions are more developed
Smokers brains are measurably different from non-smokers brains - they have more neurotransmitter receptors.
>You just need to learn a language and maintain it; the better you learn it and the longer you maintain it, the more your brain will change.
You just need to start smoking and maintain it; the more you'll inhale and the longer you continue, the more your brain will change.
>>
File: 1475449770995.jpg (52KB, 780x688px) Image search: [Google]
1475449770995.jpg
52KB, 780x688px
>>9569824
I gigled, this guy is on spot.
>>
I am pretty close to be bilingual and I wouldn't call myself smart.
>>9569441
That's must be why I am retarded Lindybeige is in my head.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.