[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Americans always fall for the "Protagonist has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ohherro.jpg (33KB, 439x498px) Image search: [Google]
ohherro.jpg
33KB, 439x498px
How come Americans always fall for the "Protagonist has to be likeable" meme?
>>
fuck you, faggot
>>
>>9567899
It's not only Americans, it's people who only read YA and pop-fiction and then try to read something more complicated. Look at the 1-star reviews for almost any classic on Goodreads. The most common criticism is that the characters are "unlikable" or "mysoginistic" or "racist". These idiots are so used to having protagonists who perfectly fit their moral standards that they can't comprehend a racist/sexist protagonist. The concept goes completely over their heads.
>>
>>9568025

I once saw a feminist giving Of Mice and Men 1 star because Curly's wife is only mentioned as Curly's wife with no name. She was extremely offended by it.

Clearly she expects social justice to reach far into the past. The protagonist could have simply not known her name. What's the big deal?

>114 upvotes on that review

Wow
>>
>>9568030
I believe it. One of the highest rated reviews of Paradise Lost on Goodreads gives Milton's work one star, says "fuck your misogyny" and has a mematic gif of a cat pushing things off of a table. Sometimes it's hard to keep hope in humanity.
>>
>>9568060
>some people are dumb
>muh faith in humanity
>>>/9gag/
>>
>>9568064
these are people who read. they're supposed to possess some sense
>>
>>9568067
It's not fucking 18th century. Reading is not a prerogative of intellectual elites. Despook yourself at once.
>>
>>9567899
Not even close to true
>>9568071
Why are people so quick to anger, is there lead in the water?
>>
>>9567899
Strikes me as somewhat similar to many Americans preferring unambiguously "happy" endings at the movie theater. Probably has to do with anti-intellectualism or laziness, rather than American-ness
>>
>>9568153
>anti-intellectualism
As a proud American this is a feature of the American identity. The basic idea is "I'd rather trust what makes sense to me rather than take some expert's word for it."
>>
>>9568153
But antiintellectualism and laziness IS Americaness
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.