[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point in your life did you realize it was fucking rediculous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

At what point in your life did you realize it was fucking rediculous to want to write a novel?

also subsequently at what point did you realize you're writing is shit, and not better or worse than literally thousands and thousands of other aspiring writers who all very likely will become nothing, except perhaps starbucks baristas, or data entry jockies for some soulless corporation? basically what I am advising is that if you are under that age of 18 or even lets say 20 dont go into the humanites, Dont GET AN ENGLISH DEGREE, Dont for however passionate you may be get a creative writing MFA
>>
>>9565641
this. If you don't major in STEM kys
also stop being creative and be a programmer instead
>>
this post reeks of failure
>>
I dunno. Speak for yourself, loser boy. I got 3 novels under my belt and counting, stuff of mine is starting to get published, and i'm continually improving. This is because when i notice stuff of mine is up to my standards, I correct that.
>>
https://youtu.be/gsL6tMM5hJg
>>
>>9565641
>Don't get an an English degree or creative writing MFA
Well yeah, that goes without saying. Even for aspiring writers those degrees are just not at all worth it. You'll learn far more just studying literature and writing on your own.

Aspiring to be a great writer isn't idiotic though if you're actually passionate about it. Those thousands and thousands of aspiring writers are usually not genuinely passionate about writing. They don't devote every second of every day to intense studying literature and writing. While this board isn't a very good example, some of us really do have a great passion for writing. And having a defeatist attitude like that is not going to get you anywhere in life. No great writer sat down at the start of their journey and thought "Well shit, my writing isn't really very good. Time to just give up."
>>
>>9565643
stem requires more creativity than an English degree tbqh
>>
>>9565666
true

Honestly, liberal arts/humanities is just a big fucking meme and cesspool of propaganda that will never land you a job ever
>>
>>9565641
Every day but I still keep grinding because that is what life is about.

I was miserable the whole time during my Bachelors in physics and I'm glad I decided against doing my Masters in favour of studying philosophy. My life finally feels like it is worth living now and again.
>>
"-You made me confess the fears that I have. But I will tell you also what I do not fear. I do not fear to be alone or to be spurned for another or to leave whatever I have to leave. And I am not afraid to make a mistake, even a great mistake, a lifelong mistake, and perhaps as long as eternity too." (Joyce)
>>
>>9565670
shutup peterson poster
>>
>>9565641

>rediculous

nice b8
>>
>>9565690
>autism
>>
>>9565707

(You)
>>
>>9565690
you know I literally saw the typo a millisecond after posting it. And knew some autismo would get off on posting this exact post. My point remains the same, the humanities are a joke.
>>
You're wrong
>>
File: inspiration.jpg (29KB, 465x437px) Image search: [Google]
inspiration.jpg
29KB, 465x437px
>reread something I wrote a couple months ago
>don't hate it
this is a rare good feel
>>
>>9565752
>you're writing is shit
Did you see that one too smart boy?
>>
>>9565664
>You'll learn far more just studying literature and writing on your own.
History is not on your side. Self-teaching is a bigger meme than university.

>>9565641
>At what point in your life did you realize it was fucking rediculous to want to write a novel?

Almost immediatly: writing novels is essentially a egoist passion, and there's no actual reason pit there that will justify such a choice. At best you can motivate it by aknowledging your passion for it.

>also subsequently at what point did you realize you're writing is shit
Sure, but I dis not expect tobe great from the start. Goethe and Dante did not just make everything up: they studied for decades first, and only them they succeded.
As it is, I can only value my insight: as far as I know everything I'll considery everything I'm writing now as a mere exercise in a few years from now.

>thousands and thousands of other aspiring writers
There is no reason to compare yourself with other generic writers, do it only withthe good ones. These numbers are meaningless, since most of these people would have failed regardless of the historical and social context of their time: not everyone is meant to become an author, in fact almost no one is.

>Dont GET AN ENGLISH DEGREE, Dont for however passionate you may be get a creative writing MFA
If you're from Europe you may as well get it. If you're from the US and you can't get it without going 200k$ in red, you may as well move to some country in Continental Europe and study your passion and vocation (literature) for free, it will surely cost you way leas than 200k$, it will be a valuable experience and you'll get to have a shot at achieving your dream.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.