[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just finished Neuromancer. Should I continue reading Cyberpunk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Neuromancer_(Book).jpg (55KB, 392x651px) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer_(Book).jpg
55KB, 392x651px
So I just finished Neuromancer.

Should I continue reading Cyberpunk or is it a dead end beyond Neuromancer?
>>
Altered Carbon is pretty good, if you're ok with some transhumanism with your cyberpunk.
>>
Wow a cyberpunk thread cool. Uh read the rest of the sprawl trilogy, it's good. Idoru was ok. If you like the dystopia, current state taken to logical extreme perspective you might like space opera, Reynolds was good to read after I read Gibson. But in the vein of cyberpunk, read altered carbon. Don't read the rest of the trilogy.
It's shit cash in garbage.
>>
At least read Count Zero
>>
Try the Mirrorshades anthology
>>
snow crash is fun, kinda trashy and absurd
>>
File: 1490925725862.gif (1MB, 1480x2584px) Image search: [Google]
1490925725862.gif
1MB, 1480x2584px
>>9557570
I'm reading Count Zero at the moment and finds it weirdly sad. There seems to me to be this feeling of sadness and loss of innocence throughout the first half of it. Its sort of off-putting when i expected this cool hard boiled hacking shit and instead i got feels.
It is still pretty good though
>>
>>9558013

Neither Charles Stross nor Transmetropolitan should be on that list.
>>
>>9558022
Haven't read Accelerando, but i remember Transmetropolitan being sort of cyberpunkish
>>
>>9558013
yeess I know what you mean exactly. The subplot of Turner and the daughter of that hacker(?) Mitchell was strangely affectionate, all the references to bygone Middle america and the sort of desolate vibe it gives off. If you haven't finished it already, the ending also hit me more strongly than anything else in the novel.
Really looking forward to read the sequel, I read in synopsis of it that Angie becomes some sort of super pop-model? The idea of that saga sounds crazy to me, and definitely like a continuation of the 'feels' that were present in Count Zero. Can anyone affirm or something if this same mood is carried over into Mona Lisa Overdrive?
>>
File: 1492902737478.gif (2MB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1492902737478.gif
2MB, 750x750px
>>9558043
Yes, the Turner plot in particular hits me right in the feels. The art plot is much the same. There is a a similar undercurrent of grief there. All in all it is a nice read. Have had it on the nightstand for a week or so now and i really should get around finishing it.
>>
File: absoluteShit.jpg (119KB, 800x1314px) Image search: [Google]
absoluteShit.jpg
119KB, 800x1314px
>>9557034
Do yourself a favor,
ignore >>9558013 's suggestion for software. Software is a shitty shitty awful book. I dont give a fuck if the guy who wrote it was the great grandson of Hegel or has a PhD in Mathematics. The book was boring, the ideas were uninspired, uninteresting, and non though provoking. The narrative does not explain transitions of time or place in several distinctive parts of the setting, making following the book a hassle. The characters are uninteresting, flat, and their character development, in the one place it exists, is not explained and irrational.
Software is a pile of steaming horse shit and no one should feel like reading it.
>>
>>9558013

Neuromancer was the hard-boiled hacking shit, so it's a nice contrast for Count Zero to have an amateur hacker in the leading role.
Angie/Lain and The Count start off completely innocent of what's in store for them, in a way truer to the 'hero's journey' template. You'll find thorough reminders of ongoing disparity in wealth despite technological advances, the juxtaposition is obvious in the outrageous wealth of the T-As and Virek.

While the first book holds up on it's own, I think they're best read as a trilogy. The Kumiko arc is fantastic and conveys 'feels' similar to what you described. Whereas Mona's is quite depressing. Does anybody know if Sonic Youth's song "The Sprawl" is a direct reference to these books? Their Daydream Nation album conveys the tone of these books perfectly in my opinion.
>>
>>9557596

I recommend this as well. Among these stories, "Petra" by Greg Bear is probably the best of them.

"Mozart in Mirrorshades" is essential but over-rated.
>>
>>9558861
nah man it's good

crazy stoner fights moon robots, it's good
>>
File: 216398[1].jpg (49KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
216398[1].jpg
49KB, 308x475px
Pic is similar to Neuromancer, and a little more coherent, from a structural perspective

> worst cover art edition
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.