[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just won a short story competition with a story I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: hospital.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
hospital.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
I just won a short story competition with a story I'm not really that fond of.

I wrote it in a day and submitted it along with another, more serious story and this one won. It's about a retired working class guy who forms a makeshift orchestra since he's always wanted to be a conductor, but the debut performance gets cancelled due to heavy rain.

It's sort of "humorous" and "cute" I guess but I fear that by having my name and image associated with it I will condemning myself as a "humorous" and "cute" writer.

Should I withdraw? There's a small ceremony next month where I'll be handed a $1500 cheque and stuff. In previous years the winners have included 18 year old girls, so it's not like high-brow anything.
>>
>>9551362
you already posted this thread bitch shut the fuck up already lmao
>>
>>9551362
no one gives a shit, cunt.
>>
>>9551362
>$1500 cheque
Unironically do it for the money. Being tied to a ""cute""(I thought it sounded all right desu) story can't be that bad senpai.
>>
You accidentally wrote something publishable. Probably won't happen again, take the money.
>>
>>9551423
>thought it sounded all right

Really? It just seems to me (OP) to be pretty childish and inconsequential.
>>
>>9551460
You ought to let go of the childish belief that you can ever write something consequential.
>>
>>9551476
I don't mean consequential as in capable of preventing a war or turning someone homosexual, I just mean something that isn't just another piece of mediocre content shoveled onto the already giant pile of mediocre shit. I'm tempted to pull out and wait until I have something I want to publish and associate myself with, rather than what is essentially prize-bait for a normie audience.
>>
>>9551491

Really, who gives a fuck

Just write and publish under pseudonyms if publishers don't want your other stuff

Just get it out there, relinquish the notion of the author
>>
>>9551491
Just take the money, and at least *some* recognition, at least if you decide to do something more serious, you've got that competition under your belt, which is better than nothing.

Changing your style might even be a positive surprise for the people who read your mediocre story, and they'll start praising you as "versatile" or whatnot.
>>
>>9551536
>>9551505
I just feel like I'm selling myself out in a way. Thanks for the response though.
>>
>>9551551
Some authors didn't start out strong, anon.

Just remember: way before Dostoevsky wrote Crime and Punishment, and TBK, he got known because some blowhard praised Poor Folk, and he was the darling of St. Petersburg literature for about 15 days until he published the Double, which he got roasted for enormously.

Take what breaks you can anon, you'll never know where it'll lead.

Just a word of encouragement.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.