[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Last thread turned to shit quick so let's try this again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: klee.jpg (46KB, 313x400px) Image search: [Google]
klee.jpg
46KB, 313x400px
Last thread turned to shit quick so let's try this again

>homoegenous, empty time

What do you think is the meaning of this phrase, and what is its significance for Benjamin in his critique of orthodox Marxists, SocDems, and their notion of progress?

Only comprehensible answer I've read was Debord's analysis of time-as-commodity, and its universal equivalence under our experience of capitalism (minutes, days, hours, etc.).
>>
>>9549158
This board is for right-wingers, sweety
>>
>>9549167

>being an ideologist

get out
>>
Can you contextualise the phrase?
>>
>>9549189
Read this
https://ceasefiremagazine.co.uk/walter-benjamin-messianism-revolution-theses-history/
>>
>>9549189
>>9549192
https://www.sfu.ca/~andrewf/CONCEPT2.html

I like this translation better
>>
>>9549158
Marxists view all of history as pre-history; homogeneous empty time is the time of life under power/capital, who have been the continuous victors throughout all of history.

debord agrees with this but his analysis is more related to everyday experience (which benjamin covered as well, in other places)
>>
>>9549317
What gives time under capitalism homogeneity and emptiness?
>>
>>9549317
Or, in Debord's language, what about pseudo-cyclical time renders thinga like day and night homologous?
>>
>>9549158
This essay essentially led me to make the leap from Marxism to Christianity sever years ago.
>>
>>9549158

Are we talking time without space, or space without time?
>>
It didn't turn to shit, you're just a fucking numbskull, bro.
>>
>>9549771
See above links for context. It's ambiguous
>>
>>9549158
I gave you quite a lengthy answer last time you posed the same question (assuming you were the OP of last Benjamin thread on here), so I won't repeat myself.

In any case, homogenous empty time seems in places for Benjamin seems to mean time as a 'container' for the accumulation of linear progress. I would point you towards theses 17 in on the concept of history, as well as the Addendum for clarifying it a bit.

I do like the idea of coupling Benjamin with Debord's idea of commodification of time in everyday life under capitalism though, I think they jive well with each other.

But please, /lit/ really isn't the proper place for a serious discussion on Benjamin. As we saw last time, these threads get quickly infested.
>>
>>9549158
Also, time as empty/homogenous is false for Benjamin because every moment is filled with a constellation of meaning.

'History is the object of a construction whose place is formed not in homogenous and empty time, but in that which is fulfilled by the here-and-now'.

From the Addendum.
'Historicism contents itself with establishing a causal nexus of various moments of history. But no state of affairs is, as a cause, already a historical one. It becomes this, posthumously, through eventualities which may be separated from it by millennia. The historian who starts from this, ceases to permit the consequences of eventualities to run through the fingers like the beads of a rosary. He records [erfasst] the constellation in which his own epoch comes into contact with that of an earlier one. He thereby establishes a concept of the present as that of the here-and-now, in which splinters of messianic time are shot through.'
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.