[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a slow reader. How I do I become a fast reader? Also,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Lavery_Maiss_Auras.jpg (388KB, 618x750px) Image search: [Google]
Lavery_Maiss_Auras.jpg
388KB, 618x750px
I'm a slow reader. How I do I become a fast reader?
Also, I can't read more than an hour. I lose interest after reading for an hour.

Help!
>>
>>9546776
>I lose interest after reading for an hour.

do short bouts of intense physical exercise when the mind starts going dull, then continue
>>
>>9546776
I noticed I got faster at reading when I started using captions while watching tv and movies because you have a short time to read the whole sentence. As for reading through a decent chunk of a book quickly, minimize distractions so you don't end up rereading the same sentence or pausing too much.
>>
>>9546776
reading slowly is good though
>>
Why do you want to read faster? Just enjoy what you're reading.
>>
>>9546776
Just read more, brother. And don't worry about how fast or slow you read. Just be there in the moment with the book you're reading.

Maybe read an hour at a time? Also if you read an hour a day you probably read more than 90 percent of the planet's population and half of this board.
>>
File: goethebereading.png (130KB, 395x644px) Image search: [Google]
goethebereading.png
130KB, 395x644px
Practice, practice, practice. Goethe slalom read two books a day. Wollschlaeger estimates that a fast reader can read approximately 15,000 books in his lifetime, discounting his teenage years for necessary experiences, and Sundays + holidays. 300 books a year, over the course of 50 years = 15,000. Now, these are calculations for people who read and wrote for a living, their entire lives. A dedicated neet without a life but all the more dedication fueled by the narcissistic goal to be more erudite than your next e/lit/ist could do it, were it not for the mandatory shitposting to prove how much more well-read he is to anonymous posters on a Tibetan carpet weaving platform
>>
>>9547760
>300 books a year
Kys, senpai.
>>
>>9547804
well, im no Goethe nor a neet. And I value my social life a great deal more than many here
Its just a tongue-in-cheek calculation by an insanely well-read writer who based it on the reading habits of a genius. Obviously, your ordinary mortal can never, ever even hope for half of that number if he reads serious literature as a hobby.
Borges read many thousands of books. Eliade too. Arno Schmidt of course, he had a 100 hours work week for over 50 years and did nothing but read, write, translate and hate the world. Who else was /erudite/?
>>
>>9546776
Mr. President, is that you?
>>
>>9546776
First of all, you have to read regularly and a lot.

There are books you want to read slowly and books you want to read more briskly. You have to figure out what type of book you're tackling.

When you're reading for information, it makes no sense to read very slowly. For example with non-fiction, a textbook or whatever. First look over the contents of the book to get a global idea. Might even browse very quickly through the entire book without stopping on anything just to get a quick bird's eye view of the entire book Then start reading. Scan the first chapter quickly by letting your eyes glide over the text only reading the titles and other very short highlighted stuff. Then glide over the same chapter paragraph by paragraph quickly reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph. Then you can go back to the beginning of the chapter.and figure out what you want to get out of it because you now have plenty of landmarks in the text and have an idea about what it contains. These first two stages (and the quick global look at the book) take very little time, but they will help you retain information a lot better than if you just start reading.

One way to increase reading speed in general is to use a finger or an object as a pointer. Point it at the end of the first line in a straightforward narrative or biography. Then start reading while slowly moving your pointer down the page, line by line. First you'll have problems with sync, but after practice you'll notice your reading speed improve and you're swimming rather than running in water.
>>
>>9546798
This is strange, whenever I go for a run and try to read afterwards my mind can't focus on the words my comprehension and reading speed is a fraction of what it is hours after I've ran
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.