[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is suicide always a sign of philosophical weakness? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: asdasds.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
asdasds.png
4KB, 225x225px
Is suicide always a sign of philosophical weakness?

I don't understand why so many people are reluctant to die regardless of how worthless their life becomes and how little they enjoy being alive.

I don't ask to be edgy. I just feel like life gets worse and worse, and that my own capacity to appreciate let alone enjoy being alive has diminished to the point where a major overhaul of my value system and perspective is required if I'm to wake up each day and look forward to the future.

Things have gone downhill in the past couple of years but I know one of the reasons I haven't snapped completely is that I'm still relatively young and still riding that youthful optimism train which dictates that my relatively youthful appearance and the fact I have a job means I am ideologically secure and may still have the potential to live a life that seems worthwhile to me.

But really my instincts are now encouraging me to give up and quit playing along and do what I know is ultimately right before I reach the point where all that sustains my existence is fear and loyalty to routine.

Any response please? Any books on this matter?

Sorry for the long post.
>>
>>9546132
I sabotaged my life for years to drive me to self murder. I learned that God doesn't play fair.
>>
>>9546140
What do you mean? What happened?
>>
No. There is no single view of suicide. I just picked up a book called "the ethics of suicide" and only started reading today, but I think you might like it. It's a collection of widely varied (in space and time) sources dealing with different conceptions and perspectives of suicide, but the quick rundown given in the editor's intro was basically to the effect that different cultures and time periods have had wildly different ideas on the matter, as regards suicide being a private vs social issue, a strong vs weak decision, laudable vs criminal, etc. More specifically with respect to your question, it was pointed out that only since Freud/the early days of psychoanalysis has suicide been considered as resulting from a psychological "fault" or "illness," rather than any of the other social, political, cultural, private, and very possibly dispassionately-reasoned justifications for suicide.

ISBN:0195135997

>Is suicide wrong, profoundly morally wrong? Almost always wrong, but excusable in a few cases? Sometimes morally permissible? Imprudent, but not wrong? Is it sick, a matter of mental illness? Is it a private matter or a largely social one? Could it sometimes be right, or a "noble duty," or even a fundamental human right? Whether it is called "suicide" or not, what role may a person play in the end of his or her own life? This collection of primary sources--the principal texts of ethical interest from major writers in western and nonwestern cultures, from the principal religious traditions, and from oral cultures where observer reports of traditional practices are available, spanning Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Oceania, the Arctic, and North and South America--facilitates exploration of many controversial practical issues: physician-assisted suicide or aid-in-dying; suicide in social or political protest; self-sacrifice and martyrdom; suicides of honor or loyalty; religious and ritual practices that lead to death, including sati or widow-burning, hara-kiri, and sallekhana, or fasting unto death; and suicide bombings, kamikaze missions, jihad, and other tactical and military suicides. This collection has no interest in taking sides in controversies about the ethics of suicide; rather, rather, it serves to expand the character of these debates, by showing them to be multi-dimensional, a complex and vital part of human ethical thought.

If you might want to buy it, check the "honey" chrome app for bn.com coupons. Got 20% off my copy. Sorry for any typos, am on my phone.
>>
>>9546166
Thanks for the rec.
>>
File: 1495407446891.png (630KB, 604x601px) Image search: [Google]
1495407446891.png
630KB, 604x601px
>>9546132

>Is suicide always a sign of philosophical weakness?

No, it's a sign of profoundly unhealthy lifestyle.

People rarely act based on what their philosophy is. Most edgy fuckers that preach nihilism tend to be rather nice and happy people. And many of those that kill themselves tend to think it's cowardly, or a sin, or whatever.

If your life is getting worse and worse, you're probably not dealing with your problems. Stop reading philosophy and start interacting with the things that are making you miserable. It goes without saying that you need to stop being delusional if your thinking is along the lines of, "There's nothing to fix, I just can't see a point to living."

A mentally healthy human being shouldn't want to die.

Ask yourself the following question:

1) Am I spending my day the way I want to, or am I studying shit I couldn't care less about and/or working a shitty job when I could work an easy part-time one and live on less?
2) Am I single? If not, am I just in an unhealthy relationship that I'm unwilling to disentangle myself from for fear of being single? Are there a lot of people in my life that are making me miserable?
3) Am I eating well, exercising, and getting enough sleep? Do I smoke, drink, do drugs, or have any kind of corrosive habit?

And if you have none of those issues, it could just be that your parents gave you some shitty-ass genes that are making you predisposed to depression, in which case you should seek psychiatric treatment.
>>
Fuck this stupid long post, I'm not reading this shit even to find out if there's an apology for the length at the end.
>>
>>9546218

This seems like sound advice.
>>
>>9546132
No, the rejection of consciousness is the ultimate truth.
>>
>>9546231

>rejection of consciousness

The ultimate red pill desu.
>>
for some suicide is more like an escape not excuse nor an end. no matter how much you force your mind or force yourself onto drugs which might help sometimes you have to put it off.It's not a sign of weakness and everyone knows that their life is worth a living but the situation and the environment don't let them move forward...and there's no other way out. no matter what you do where you go you end up having a thought to end your life. having a secure life doesn't guarantee anything, it's not a state of mind either. Sometimes it's better off when they can end their lives than living their lives miserably.
>>
>>9546132

Have you heard about Jordan Peterson? I think you may find him enlightening.
>>
>>9546142
There is always a way out. When you make suicide the goal, the easy way out becomes something else.
>>
>>9546132
>Is suicide always a sign of philosophical weakness?
You're overthinking it. It's just natural selection at work.

Obviously the will to survive is a major driver of evolution. If you're suicidal, it just means you're not meant to evolve. You're an evolutionary dead end.
>>
>>9546231
>>9546237
In what, for what?
>>
>>9546569
You are underthinking it.
>it's just
What if it is not 'just' what you claim it to be, but it is itself in whole, not in part from a certain point of view?
>>
>>9546569
>I have faith in evolution

hahahahhahahahaha
>>
>>9546218
I have lots of issues to fix and I clearly see them, but I still don't see the point of living. I see no reason to fix them when the world and life are so uninteresting.
>>
>>9546569
Holy...
>>
it is only wrong if you believe your body to belong to another, so society coded it negatively since pre twentieth century the individual did not necessarily have full individual autonomy but feudal obligations, manorial dues etc. alternatively, if religious one might believe their life belongs to a supernatural force
>>
>>9546569
t. Richard Dawkins
>>
>>9546132
>a major overhaul of my value system and perspective is required if I'm to wake up each day and look forward to the future

You had it right there, OP
>>
I can think of many reasons why I should never commit suicide, but I always forget those when I'm really down so from now on I have my own mantra: Remember That You Will Forget.
I think I will forget the significance of the reasons why you shouldn't kill yourself when a suicidal moment would ever happeb but at least I can remember that I have forgotten.
>>
>>9546736
yo quiero mas
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.