[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is outlined what the quote means to you? it's not what it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: nabokov.png (539KB, 920x780px) Image search: [Google]
nabokov.png
539KB, 920x780px
is outlined what the quote means to you? it's not what it means to me and honestly interpreting it like that never even crossed my mind before i saw this.

btw everyone knows it's not really from Lolita
>>
>>9544288

>is outlined quote means to you

holy shit dude
>>
>>9544288
Who knows what Nabby thought while writing it. He probably just thought, "Sounds nice? I'll stick it in there." He's really good at creating beautiful works but isn't exactly a philosopher, he's more like an idiot savant in that respect. Hunting with your mind through Nabby's works for what he thinks on life, religion, and the universe seems to me a very unfulfilling use of your time. As he himself would say, he speaks to the heart --- and to the spine (namely, its capacity to be touched and to tingle).
>>
>>9544304
Whoa, of course Nab is an arch aesthete, but I would be very hesitant to claim that his works are merely pretty sentences. I mean if Lolita isn't a story about morality (albeit maybe about the author himself) then what is? Not to mention the strong thematics of nostalgia, alienation, and melancholy throughout his work. He is definitely no philosopher, but I cant agree that his work is independent of humanity or emotion. Maybe you could say his work is idea-deprived
>>
OP here

I always read it as commentary on how we rarely get to do exactly what we want. How a lot of our days are spent hoping, wishing and planning for that perfect moment while life is passing us by. All the dreams and fantasies and unfinished projects.

https://youtu.be/Q_w4DVgvVHs
>>
If I wanted to discuss reddit comments I'd go to reddit.
>>
we are but individual words in an endless poem, instruments in an infinite orchëstra, tears in a rain
>>
>>9544288
Why do so many people think it's from Lolita? (It's from Pale Fire, to anyone who doesn't know.)
>>
>>9546240
because most people only know Nabokov because of Lolita
>>
>>9544288
It ought to be well understood to anyone who's read Nabokov that what one of his characters says is not necessarily what the author thinks--even more so than with other authors. That said, my interpretation pretty much aligns with the outlined guy. He is definitely purposely ambiguous--as usual.
>>
>>9544288
It's not much of a stretch from Plato's idea thar each dialogue throughout history works toward the final Truth.
>>
>>9544731
this except for the tears in the rain bit

>>9544304
you are retarded, the meaning is clear
>>9544543
you are projecting, that is not what it means at all.

>>9546278
this guy gets it, though Nabb's phrase isn't as targeted because he doesn't declare we're working towards the Truth, he calls it instead "a vast obscure unfinished masterpiece"
>>
>>9544356
Do you have something wrong with your brain? The poster you responded to said Nabakov deals in emotion, not thoughts, and you respond with, "but I cant agree that his work is independent of humanity or emotion," something that wasn't even implied. You need reading comprehension lessons.
>>
>>9544288
runkkari
>>
File: 1493644698865.jpg (102KB, 398x351px) Image search: [Google]
1493644698865.jpg
102KB, 398x351px
>>9544288
>MFW there are people trying to unironically start threads with screenshots of discussions from reddit
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.