[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Dubliners and Portrait so humourless compared to Ulysses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Why are Dubliners and Portrait so humourless compared to Ulysses?

How did Joycey boy come to see the light?
>>
>>9544190
Dubliners does have a lot of humor: it's just hidden by obscure references that you wouldn't immediately know unless you were an Irish Catholic from the 19th century.

He definitely became a lot more playful in Ulysses, though.
>>
he went from writing "SERIOUS LITERATURE" for the literary establishment to writing whatever he wnated
>>
>>9544208
Example please c:
>>
>>9544190
Age more than anything I imagine. Younger writers tend to think their work is a great deal more important than older writers, so that reflects in them writing generally more serious works.
>>
>>9544190
He went slightly bonkers in deciding to/while writing Ulysses, especially because he was stressed that Portrait and Dubliners were masterly works but no one was recognizing them much.

Even today, hilariously enough, they're mostly overshadowed by Ulysses and forgotten.
>>
DUDE, YES LMAO XD

Nausicaa was sorta funny. Funnier than anything Milton ever wrote, that's for sure.
>>
>>9544190
I've read that when Joyce wrote Dubliners he thought he was writing a work that would singlehandedly make the entire people of Dublin realise their follies and transform themselves. Basically, younger Joyce somehow managed to actually overestimate his own (actually massive) importance, and it made him take writing very seriously. When writing Ulysses he was a bit more down to earth in his opinions of his own importance.
>>
>>9544190
>be me
>chilling in the yard, thinking bout some farts
>some faggot kid comes up GRANDPA GRANDPA LOOK I'VE LEARNT HOW TO READ
>he starts babbling in a text written in a single language as if it's some big accomplishment
>mfw
>>
>>9544483

The further back in time the easier it was to have a true Christ Complex.
>>
>>9545659
Don't blame him, pretty much every modernist thought they could pull this stunt.
>>
I'm not starting another thread, but could someone point me to the best FW companion?
>>
>>9545666
Honestly if any one writer in history deserved to have a complex about their writing, Joyce is definitely a contender
>>
>>9544190
booze and whores, mate/

Protip: "you should try it some time"
>>
>>9545645
More like
>that primal babbling gives me the idea for my next great hit
>[brekkeks internally]
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.