[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /lit/ I just finished pic related. I've heard some people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: part1.jpg (4KB, 180x290px) Image search: [Google]
part1.jpg
4KB, 180x290px
So /lit/ I just finished pic related.

I've heard some people say that reading the part II isn't exactly mandatory.

I'm not sure what to do, I read Goethe's Faust I in order to better understand Mann's Doctor Faustus, which I'm about to start.

What would you do? Would you read the second part?
>>
mann's book is based on the original faust legend which is best told in marlowe

by reading goethe instead you got the extra special version

so no, no need ot read part 2
>>
>>9542711
I had already read Marlowe's. Thanks!
>>
Part 2 is the mandatory one.
>>
>>9542863
nope
>>
>>9542872
>>9542863
yeah it is, if you want to be a patrician
>>
>>9542960
nah
>>
Part II is fucking brilliant. It's essentially the conflicts of the first but blown up to a macro level, eg. The motif of debt goes from something like Faust's debt to Mephisto to the debt of a whole kingdom, or instead of chasing one beautiful girl he's chasing Helen as the personification of beauty itself. And the poetry of it is gorgeous.
>>
>>9542872
>>9542983
Your brain on part 1
>>
>>9543121
Well, I'll read it then. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>9542678
Part II is basically Goethe going overboard with the story trying to outdo himself in every possible way. It's a semi-autobiographical presentation of statesmanship, enriched by Greco-Roman mythology.

It's like if you took Faust and smashed Plato's The Republic into it.
>>
>>9543901
In other words, the unwarranted ramblings of an old half dead sack of turds. Most of it is shit that people in his own time didn't really care about. It's worth reading, but you'll get more of Goethe out of it than actual economics, life science, geology, etc.

Faust part ii, perhaps as a more allegorical work, would have worked better as a novel. Goethe probably would have written a novel version of Faust ii had he not perished.
>>
>>9543914
>the unwarranted ramblings of an old half dead sack of turds
>as if anon spewing shit on the greatest german poet isn't an unwarranted spouting of unsubstantiated diarrhea
and also fucking obviously it's allegorical, and do you really think it's meant as a stage drama and not using that form to sneak in epic poetry?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.