[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mmmmhahahah >jump into the water >don't be like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: heh.jpg (357KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
357KB, 750x500px
>mmmmhahahah
>jump into the water
>don't be like us stupid adults
>that speeding humvee has a babby crying
>daily tasks, like, suck man...
>le smugface.jpg
>jump into the water
>mmmhaahahah
>>
couldn't be more thrilled that the memetide has turned against this phony
>>
>>9541561

I think if you took off anon, people would be given more incentive to engage in pseudo-intellectualism and group-think.

DFW's name carries a lot of weight in the industry because he's an industry product. He's a glorified doorstop salesman.

Anyway, sage, we need to stop talking about this guy.
>>
>>9541460
I see we're trying to get waterposting off the ground
>>
>>9541460
Don't bully DFW. He is sensitive.
>>
>>9541460
stop benig mean to him or else he gonna come back and kill himself all ovr again
>>
The only thing better than DFW shitposting is DFW shitposting without ever having read him
>>
>>9541460
>>jump into the water
it's "welcome to the water". get it right
>>
>>9541460
desu you need some water sometimes keep yourself hydrated motherfucker it's summer you dont want to get light headed ok please look after yourself your mom and i worry about you sometimes anon please go outside and play with a friend we love you
>>
I've not read DFW, could someone explain 'waterposting'?

Is it some taoist crap?
>>
>>9542749
He gave a commencement speech called "this is water" which gave the students a run-down of how their degree was relevant, not because they would become successful, but because they could empathise and understand other people's complex situations. It's actually a pretty damn good speech but /lit/ likes to meme David Foster Wallace.
>>
>>9542749
DFW gave a commencement address where he read his essay "this is water". you can find it on youtube. in it he describes his take on modern life. that everyone is basically one long grocery store checkout line away from erupting on the people around them. "waterposting" is pretty much ripping on how DFW had no clue what the average adult's life is like and his essay was one massive projection.
>>
>>9542774
>>9542776

Read it just now. This is the kind of knowledge that honestly American society could do with, since we are a nation of boar-headed "gimmedats", but this essay reads more like a suicide note, and his unconscious self-superiority bleeds onto the page for too much.

It's a shame DFW never embraced the taoist idea of water, because I think he would have appreciated that more than this clumsy self-defeating metaphor about being a fish adrift in a society you barely acknowledge as controlling you.

"Best to be like water, that which benefits the ten thousand things, yet contends none."
>>
>>9542819
>and his unconscious self-superiority bleeds onto the page for too much.
yup. he's basically projecting his superiority complex onto every adult.
>>
>>9542843

I mean, thats pretty much the point he was making. That he does that but he knows he shouldnt.
>>
>>9542849
well it's one thing to write about his own experience but he's acting as if that's what everyone else experiences. everyone isn't constantly on edge. most of the successful people i know are pretty calm and collected and would never sperg out over little shit like a long grocery line. i'd say that type of behavior is more typical of lower-class people.
>>
>>9542849
I see arguments being carried out in this way so much now and I just want to say something. I'm not even the anon you're replying to but I hear this so often in just about every argument that goes against what a person wants to hear. That's not even remotely the point he was trying to make, and you know that.
>>
>>9542819
>it's a shame DFW didn't embrace ideas from an inferior culture
What?
>>
we're all screaming on the inside
try not to be like us
>>
>>9542881
Just because you haven't or don't typically act as arrogantly as DFW warns does not mean that you cannot. The words are still applicable, but maybe you personally are not able to meet with it yet. Give it time and I'm sure you'll make a mistake.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.