[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello I am an idiot. I just got done with Goethe's Faust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Faust.jpg (92KB, 562x900px) Image search: [Google]
Faust.jpg
92KB, 562x900px
Hello I am an idiot. I just got done with Goethe's Faust but I am lost on the historical hype over it

Can someone explain to me why this is considered such a masterpiece?
>>
>the poetry
>the banter
>the imagery
>the dense textual devices you notice on repeat readings
>the enjoyable easy to follow drama that goes along side the dense literary aspects
>the nature of the wager itself
>recontextualizing a folk tale as a depiction of the zeitgeist of the enlightenment without changing the tale in any way
>depicting the struggle of humanity so perfectly, "like a long legged grasshopper all of whose leaping/only lands him back in the grass again chirping/the same tune he's always chirped"
>Its role in shaping a unified European literature, and its greater literary and cultural legacy beyond that
It's one of the best works of literature ever produced, you can fuck off now.
>>
File: 1492741741731.jpg (131KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492741741731.jpg
131KB, 720x720px
>>9541230

hey man you should like calm down and stop assuming everyone can perfectly understand one of the most important/difficult pieces of European literature after a single read

:--)
>>
File: 1474892172047.jpg (152KB, 646x646px) Image search: [Google]
1474892172047.jpg
152KB, 646x646px
>>9541230
>>the poetry
>the good thing about this poetic work is the poetry
>>
>>9542165
Think about it and you will realize it actually does make sense.
>>
Reread it in German
>>
>>9541230
You fucking neckbeards and your purity tests are retarded.

>Hurr Durr if you you don't think what I like is great I hate you

That's such a weak view on the world.
>>
>>9541176

Did you read both parts? Goethe has written it over his whole lifespan, so it contains pretty profound reflections on the nature of everything by the second part. Where the first part deals with the nature of man and his desires, the second one is a reconciliation of men with desires external to him such as in politics and social relations.

Much has been done after Faust and it kind of numbs the experience because you've seen it being repeated. But it is still worthwhile because Goethe was one of those "all-around" man who worked in business, research, writing, etc. and has much to say about overarching aspects of living.
>>
Marlowe's Dr. Faustus is better
>>
>>9542770
At least he gave some actual reasons as for it being good like OP asked
>>
>>9542801
i'll take dangerously wrong opinions for 800, alex
>>
>>9541230
>>the enjoyable easy to follow drama that goes along side the dense literary aspects
>>recontextualizing a folk tale as a depiction of the zeitgeist of the enlightenment without changing the tale in any way
>>Its role in shaping a unified European literature, and its greater literary and cultural legacy beyond that

You did not read it, nor do you understand it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.