[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1. How many people read without first reading the Greeks? 2.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg (18KB, 306x450px) Image search: [Google]
149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg
18KB, 306x450px
1. How many people read without first reading the Greeks?

2. Why aren't the Greeks widely taught in schools?

3. Is someone who hasn't read the Greeks able to derive anything from what they're reading? If not, do they realise this?
>>
>>9533656
1. Most people

2. They used to be, but now with the advent of public schooling it is obvious that it would be impossible to teach the average person Ancient Greek.

3. No. If you haven't read the Greeks, you are completely lost. Think of all those shitty writers in the past who didn't know Greek, retards like Dante, and Shakespeare.
>>
>>9533665
2 + 3. English translations, I mean.
>>
I learned a lot about the Greeks in school because I didn't receive >american education
we read plays, myths, poems in the literature class and studied ancient history, art and architecture in history. I also had an ethics/philosophy class.

I assume most Europeans are knowledgeable about the Greeks
>>
>>9533665
Tbh the romans are much more important than the greeks.
>>
>>9533656
1. They aren't really reading, are they?
2. It's a Roman conspiracy.
3. See 1. If they aren't aware of the Greeks then they obviously can't be aware of what they're missing.
>>
>>9533656
1. How many people read without first reading the Sumerians?

2. Why aren't the Sumerians widely taught in schools?

3. Is someone who hasn't read the Sumerians able to derive anything from what they're reading? If not, do they realise this?
>>
>>9533929
Reminder that everything south of Rome, west of Bordeaux and east of Vienne isn't Europe
>>
>>9534038
Reminder that everyone who isn't an upper class Briton isn't white.
>>
>>9533665
>2. They used to be, but now with the advent of public schooling it is obvious that it would be impossible to teach the average person Ancient Greek.

step off your high horse mate
>>
>>9533665
Heh. Look at this guy.
>>
Every once in a while I check back in on /lit/, inevitably find something as pretentious as and then leave. I can't figure out what you folks enjoy more, reading a book you enjoy or feeding your superiority complexes. Take it easy lads, books really aren't all that serious. Don't forget to live life.
>>
>>9533656
As a greek, I learned a lot about the greeks in school. However I still feel like I know jack shit about them, as the greek school system is one of the worst in the developed world.
>>
>>9534292
you can't figure it out? isn't it obvious? half the people on this board don't read and two thirds of the rest don't read enough to even understand the memes they're parroting.
>>
How many of you guys WERE taught the Greeks in school? In 9th grade we were required to read a book on Greek mythology and then we read a lot of excerpts from The Odyssey.
>>
File: aaronpaulsurprise.gif (2MB, 400x308px) Image search: [Google]
aaronpaulsurprise.gif
2MB, 400x308px
>There are people on this site who haven't read The Iliad in it's original lenguage
>>
>>9534359
Classics was literally a subject for the idiots at my school. Believe they read the iliad and odyssey, or at least excerpts of it
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.