[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What more do I need to read to become the master of pre-modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Oriental.png (542KB, 471x663px) Image search: [Google]
Oriental.png
542KB, 471x663px
What more do I need to read to become the master of pre-modern oriental literature on /lit/?
>>
>>
>>9533485
>Read postmodern western book about the history of western perception of the orient
I'd rather read actual oriental works, instead of works that force their view of the orient on me.
>>
>>9533494
>instead of works that force their view of the orient on me.

it encourages to question your implicit assumptions about "the orient". How can you truly understand these texts if your default setting is to see them through your western, imperialist mindset. to truly understand one thousand and one nights, for example, you need to understand the baggage you are bringing to the text.

>post-modern

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NEWB
>>
>>9533524
>your western, imperialist mindset
>the baggage
Sounds to me like you just exchanged negative stereotypes about orientals for negative stereotypes about occidentals.
>>
>>9533479
Spring and Autumn Annals
Tale of the Heike
Genji
Records of the Grand Historian
Red Chamber
Outlaws of the Marsh/Water Margin (not pearl buCKS)
Journey to the West
>>
>>9533639
http://teacup.media/the-china-history-podcast/
https://historyofjapan.wordpress.com/

Also these two always give really solid references to the works that they are citing
>>
File: Noice.jpg (7KB, 241x207px) Image search: [Google]
Noice.jpg
7KB, 241x207px
>>9533639
>>9533645
>>
>>9533666
Whenever these threads come up I post this. http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/ps/cup/sima_qian_letter.pdf

Its sima qians letter to a friend explaining why he didnt kill himself when he was castrated by the emperor.
>>
>>9533676
>I have examined the deeds and events of the past and investigated the principles behind their success and failure, their rise and decay, in 130 chapters.
>I wished to examine into all that concerns Heaven and the human, to penetrate the changes of the past and present, completing all as the work of one family.
I know that feel.
>>
>>9533524
This is your brain on university
>>
>>9533524
That's just lefty bullshit. I don't even fucking believe in imperialism you fucking retard
>>
>>9533789
this is your brain on /pol/
>>
>>9533479
hafez
fuzuli
khayyam
nesimi
nizami
al-mutanabbi.

middle-east literature is about poetry. read poems.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.