[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/20/ 15653006/nebula-awards-2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (42KB, 277x330px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 277x330px
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/20/15653006/nebula-awards-2016-winners-science-fiction-fantasy-charlie-jane-anders
Nebula Award winners have been announced
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 313x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 313x470px
>io9 co-founder Charlie Jane Anders walked away with the award for Best Novel. In her acceptance speech, she said that she constantly wrestled with the idea that she wasn’t good enough to write All the Birds in the Sky, and that she hoped that her award means that the next person arguing with themselves will be able to “tell the voices to shut up and go and write their frickin’ book”.
>>
>>9533138
Sounds wholesome.
>>
Can someone do a rundown of how many of the winners and nominees were transvestites or otherwise some kind of female'n'brown cocktail?
>>
Another white male wins again.
>>
>All the Birds in the Sky is set in the near-future and is about Patricia and Laurence, a witch and a techno-geek. Patricia discovers, when she is six, that she has magical abilities, like talking to birds – but she has no control over it and cannot summon it at will. Laurence, from a young age, invents gadgets and later builds a supercomputer in his bedroom. Patricia and Laurence both attend the same junior high school where they discover each other after being ostracized by other children for being too strange.
JUST
>>
File: 1490008285507.jpg (40KB, 444x470px) Image search: [Google]
1490008285507.jpg
40KB, 444x470px
>>9534870
wew
what the fuck is with this YA tier shit
>>
>>9534870
>You built a supercomputer? That's awesome Laurence!
>CALL ME LAURA, MOM SAYS I'M A GIRL NOW!!
>Oh.. weird..
>WHY DONT PEOPLE ACCEPT MY TECHNO-GEEK INTERESTS?
>>
>>9534881
lmao
Seriously, that description is super YA sounding and I'm not sure if that's standard for winners of Nebula Awards but shit...
>>
>>9535264
never read anything of the nebula from 2000 to today
dont
>>
>>9533131
sci-fi LMAO who cares?
>>
Modern SF is a joke.
>>
If you have to advertise a book as sci-fi to sell it's already failed
>>
Fantasy should never have been lumped in with scifi.
>>
That best novel sounds terrible. Jemisin or Yoon should probably have won; maybe they split the vote?

Seanan McGuire is a below-average writer who hustles her lard ass into scooping up awards by schmoozing. Basically a female Scalzi although to her credit she's not as fixated on "homages". She's everything wrong with ~fandom~ and con culture.

It's quite incredible how poorly the major SF awards reflect quality and how little I can bring myself to care about them. The worst IMO are the short form categories, which should enable one to identify promising lesser known authors but instead are used to ego-boost connected nobodies.
>>
>>9535272
basically this
>Annihilation was p good tho
>>
Also I checked and none of the
candidates for best novel are on the top 100 Amazon bestsellers in SFF. Now, that includes a lot of back catalogue and quite a bit of obvious trash as well, but it raises the question: what's the point? I'm not saying that the most popular books are the best, but if the Nebulas are going to make a point of recognizing a bunch of works outside the purview of the typical reader, they need to recognize quality. If the only difference between Douglas Richards or A.S. Riddle and a Nebula-winning author is that the latter doesn't sell as well why the fuck should I care?
>>
>>9535557
Vandemeer? Bleh. Thought he wrote about used ideas and did nothing with them. Not a fan of Annihilation or Authority.
>>
s(he) should have got the Gaylactic Spectrum Awards i am rite lmao
>>
>>9533138
that's a man.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.