[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there books on how to write a book? like is there a standard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Is there books on how to write a book? like is there a standard model i have to follow before i add in my style into it? I'm guessing English basics like paragraph structure, grammar, and writing proper sentences and stuff like that comes into play but even after all the basics, is there more? like plot, sub plot, character development, stuff like that? like are there books on how to write horror or how to create a certain type of character, or even to get a certain emotion from a reader when writing. I've heard /lit/ say that you should practice writing if you read a lot and i agreed with that statement.
>>
>>9532907
no bro just do what you want
>>
Does anyone else feel like they can write, but just can't ever read what other people have written, it hurts me just looking at it that way but narcissism is constant, if you hate it, imagine not being to care about anyone but yourself. I want so badly for people to value me, in way that benefits them, that's how a self centered person attempts to be empathetic. This is legitimately a disease, this won't mean anything to me if you don't like it, but maybe while I kill myself trying to write something you like, I could help you somehow, help you to understand me and just the human condition, I'm just a really conceited guy, but my own love, wouldn't be enough, if I could find it, in this disaster, I call a life.
>>
just bee yourself
>>
>>9532936
i j-just wanted advice on starting to write man.

>>9532926
>>9532966
i mean okay i guess, i'll give it shot. thanks bro-skees
>>
>>9533020
It's a /lit/ meme to respond to writing advice with overly pretentious twattle, don't even sweat it bro.

Check out 'How Not To Write A Novel', it's kind of a reverse how-to guide, which reveals through telling you what not to do, what you should do. It's pretty good. If that's not your speed, though, then I recommend Ronald B. Tobias' "X Y and how to Z" where you replace X with a number, Y with an element of storytelling, and Z with how to implement that element of storytelling. The one you're probably looking for is '20 Master Plots and how to build them." but I also recommend his book on characters.

Good luck.
>>
File: writing-is-sexy01.jpg (81KB, 500x537px) Image search: [Google]
writing-is-sexy01.jpg
81KB, 500x537px
>>9532907
I actually worked my way through a creative writing program at a university. Here's what I learned:
>there are instructors who say you should follow certain rules, like outlining your story, creating character bios, and map everything out ahead of time.
>there are others who say to wing it.
The instructor for my last workshop emphasized winging it. Her argument was that writing is art, and art is all about self-expression. So express yourself in whatever way best conveys your thoughts and ideas.

If you REALLY want to follow a formula, there are literally hundreds of books that have road maps you can follow.
>>
This isn't wrong >>9533053
The James Frey books on "How to write a damn good novel" are also useful. There are lots of ways you can approach writing a book and lots of them are online; check out the snowflake method if you like. Whatever works for you.
>>
>>9533443
basically what i was going to do at first, but then i was like well, there are professional people who write for a living so there has to be some sort of academic guidelines i should be following, something they teach you in school i mean don't know anything about writers and i don't know how rigorous their schooling is but it can't all be winging it so yeah thats why i asked lol thanks for your response.

>>9533453
thanks anon i will. what has worked for you?
>>
>>9533443
But how can you avoid asspulls when you wing it?
>>
>>9532907

bird by bird
>>
>>9533712
I take lots of ideas for things then arrange them into a plot.
>>
>>9533768
Inject that ass all over the rest of your story in the 2nd draft
>>
File: works about rhetoric.png (95KB, 749x635px) Image search: [Google]
works about rhetoric.png
95KB, 749x635px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lajos_Egri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gardner_%28American_writer%29
>>
>>9533020
Sorry, I was really high. Just start with the names of all your characters, then slowly write out their backstories, personal traits, character development etc. from there you can write the locations they go to and why. This allows you to pepper in any, actual conversation, extra conflict, or points of elevated interest, while understanding the direction of everything beforehand, then you put it all the pieces together from your notes. I hope that helps somewhat, good luck.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.