[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best books on the history and philosophy of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1470447211169.jpg (126KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470447211169.jpg
126KB, 1200x1200px
What are the best books on the history and philosophy of the Middle Ages?
>>
>>9528539
History of Philosophy volumes 2 and 3 by Frederick Copleston
>>
>>9528539
>Middle Ages

To vague and broad. You need to be more specific about the region, subject or period. The Middle Ages lasted from about 476 until 1453. But contrary to common misconceptions, there was a lot of diversity in thought during this period.
>>
For history I would suggest reading the biographies of the kings written at the time. They are pretty inaccurate as far a true history of the leaders , but they usually show what kind of values they held back then. The two lives of Charlemagne is pretty good.
>>
The New Cambridge Medieval History
volume 1 to however many there are, 8 I think.
>>
>>9528539
With regards to philosophy, I would also say volume 2-3 of Copleston's history as secondary lit.

For an idea of the institutionalization of philosophy as scholasticism I would look for a book on the history of medieval academies. I don't know any good ones in English, since I'm a eurofag though.

Now for primary texts of scholastic philosophy, a lot of it can seem pedantic and the problems raised can seem pretty out there for a person of the contemporary times.

I would say the problem of scholastic philosophy that makes the most sense to spend time on is the stride of universals. The problem of the status of universals is a philosophical question that persists into modern philosophy, and thus we see the application of it and thus purpose of studying it.

I know there is a nice english anthology titled "Five texts on the medieval problem of universals" (edited by Spade). It has texts representing the major positions in the scholastic debate. For some reason it doesn't include Aquinas though, but in my opinion his arguments in this debate is just a shittier version of Duns Scotus. You could consider picking up some Aquinas on the problem as well though, he speaks of it at some point in the Summa.

If you are familiar with classical antique philosophy it is also easy to think of the medieval positions on universals as analogous to the greeks. The neo-platonics (Boethius) being Plato's position, the realists (Duns Scotus, Aquinas) being Aristotle's position and the nominalist position (Ockham) being the sophist position.

Have fun.
>>
>>9528539
The Spirit of Medieaval Philosophy
>>
This is an old one, but I really like this scholar. Learned about him when reading Conversations with Alfred North Whitehead-- The Medieval Mind by Henry Osborne Taylor. Got it cheap on-line. Spengler's contemporary. As comfy as Decline, and about as long (=2vols, ca. 750pp.)
>>
Eco.
>>
>>9528539
History of Christian Philosophy in the Middle Ages by Etienne Gilson

Gilson also wrote this >>9530098 so I'd recommend it as well
>>
>>9530797
Good writer but no
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.