[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me why this guy is talked about every single

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 36

File: jordanpeterson-998x712.jpg (111KB, 998x712px) Image search: [Google]
jordanpeterson-998x712.jpg
111KB, 998x712px
Can someone tell me why this guy is talked about every single day when all he did was make a big stink about not calling trans people by their preferred genders? I've seen some of his other videos too, and his debate with Sam Harris. Sam Harris pretty much broke down the debate and showed how he's ideologically driven and his arguments make no sense. I literally saw him use an article that was written about conservatives (the one that says they have higher levels of fear and disgust) and went on a talk show and said that study was about liberals. His videos generally tend to be patronizing and melodramatic, plus his constant ranting about postmodernism and liberals is embarrassing and generalizing and vague. Not to mention his fucking new years video he made, where he starts fucking crying because people don't accept jesus christ into their hearts, which he still has as his intro video to his youtube channel.

It's hilarious to me how people think he's this brilliant thinker, I should say sad actually.
>>
hes a meme you dip
>>
Its very sad that we have reach a point where Sam Harris seems like a respectable intellectual
>>
It's also hilarious to me how 4chan contrarians never seem to have anything good to say about life, and yet refuse to commit suicide and keep whining on a Mongolian tapestry-making forum.
>>
>>9525465
>contrarians never seem to have anything good to say
I disagree, they sometimes do.
>>
>>9525475
Well, not on 4chan they don't.

99% of the criticism of Peterson i've seen is like OP's, whining about his character, or the fact that he is getting paid a lot of money on Patreon, which somehow proves he's a charlatan, because god forbid people make money.

It's also absolutely hilarious to say that Peterson is ideological whereas Harris isn't. Harris is the definition of a bourgeois liberal who thinks his own values are "scientific".
>>
>>9525480
What else is good about life?
>>
>>9525480
cuck desu
>>
>>9525342
Peterson is largely a meme but if you unironically think Ben Stiller is some sort of intellectual powerhouse you're even more of one than him.
>>
>>9525521
All I said was he broke down the argument and showed how it was nonsense. Although, I do think that Sam Harris is often very well spoken, and appeals to logic in his arguments in a way that I respect. He is a very level headed, maybe even to a flaw. One thing I miss about Christopher Hitchens was his attitude, he had a lot of it and was extremely entertaining with his gorgeous accent, and his ability to totally shut down people in an argument and put forward his opinion so completely and concisely. I bring up Hitchens because they're comparable and were good friends.
>>
>>9525342
I hear this quite a bit, but i've never been given an example of another contemporary 'brilliant figure', if you have one, it would be much better to compare peterson to him as to make your argument more persuasive because as it stands right now it has no real weight

tldr cry some more
>>
File: 1488599235342.jpg (98KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1488599235342.jpg
98KB, 1024x683px
You all need to clean your rooms and
>sort yourselves out
>>
>Peterson
>Harris
One is a psychiatrist (aka a worthless person) and another one is a pop-"""neuroscientist""" who did some meme research on religions. If you have any respect for either, you are a confirmed plebian.
>>
File: 1492138690638.jpg (115KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
1492138690638.jpg
115KB, 500x505px
>>9526002
You're never going to make it to the top of the dominance hierarchy if you don't
>>
>>9525465
It's not so much they refuse to do it, they are
just too scared.
>>
>a literal who eceleb

Sure is some great literature in here
>>
>>9525342
Im sure the best way to combat this was to create yet another thread about him
>>
>>9525480
they're both idiots, especially peterson, but also sam harris too
you're an idiot as well
>>
>>9525544
shut the fuck up you gaywad
>>
fuck him. he's a cryptomaterialist who doesn't even believe in god.

he says he acts as if god exists, that's all. it's just a really good story for him. if you asked him if he accepts something like the nicene creed you'd probably get a 10 hour speech where he just avoids saying no.

plus he's a zionist.
>>
File: good advice.jpg (15KB, 439x335px) Image search: [Google]
good advice.jpg
15KB, 439x335px
>>9525342

I've truly come to the conclusion that Sam Harris is a joke. Not only that, but he's completely driven by petty concerns.

I've listened to every episode of Waking Up, and there are times where he sounds downright condescending to his audience, and, then, when he's begging for money we're suddenly "the only reason this is possible, and I thank you all."

Fucking phony.

That, and he won't invite certain people because he's afraid of what it will do to his "image." Like he's some goddamn Hollywood star that won't get roles. At least they can use him for Zoolander 3.

I also liked that one time where he didn't release that long podcast with the crazy SJW Muslim because it "wasn't worth people's time" only to dramatize the whole thing for weeks. And then it turns out that he was pretty much a dick to that guy and even swore at him.

I'm fairly certain that deep down, Sam Harris is a complete piece of shit. Maybe not a bad person, per se, but a total piece of shit. He's nice, he's nice, he's nice... and then he slips and comes across as a completely different person.

As for Peterson, he's alright. I dislike the raving about Christianity. Both as an atheist, and as a person that believes that religion deserves more respect than simply being an utilitarian tool. But I do like that he insists people take responsibility for their actions.

I don't know, on Waking Up Peterson managed to sound completely insane. But if you actually watch his lectures he's a lot more reasonable. I don't know why but he becomes autistic as fuck when he's invited somewhere and always repeats the same shit.
>>
>>9525342

Man, that new year's podcast and his whiny crybaby wailing was probably the most pathetic thing I've ever listened to.
How conceited and self-absorbed do you have to be to start crying while talking about your own mediocre meme philosophy and Solzhenytsin and how SJWs are mean to you? And then post it online and make yourself seem like some sort of brilliant genius intellectual martyr who is being oppressed by people with gender studies degrees?

Honestly I've never felt so embarrased while listening to something. I can't believe I study at the same institution this man teaches at.
If I ever see him walking around St. George or Syd Smith I'll whip out my Kermit the Frog plushy doll and follow him around while mock-crying about the death of the individual and Tiamat and frog cults and how my wittle feewings have been hurt by mean Nazi SJWs until he punches me in the face, which he won't do cuz he's a pussy.

Jesus, man.
>>
His interviews and podcasts are not that great.

He has hundreds of hours of lectures as well that I'd recommend. I was a student of his last years and his talks and research on personality are brilliant.
>>
>>9525981
Slavoj Zizek
Giorgio Agamben
Peter Sloterdjik
Bruno Latour
Eduardo Viveiros de Castro
Georges Didi-Hubermann

there, have a few of them

What you people don't realize is that Peterson generates non-discourse , semi-intellectual jungian pap wich serves nothing but to generate MORE neoliberalism, something not even /pol/lacks want, as far as I see you people drooling on /lit/. Nothing he says is new and anything is barely useful (from a academic standpoint). Were he not propped into fame by arguing with a bunch of SJWs, no one would even bat an eye, or even worse (or better): he'd be recognized as a canuck version of Alain de Fucking Botton. The way he tries to drag Nietzsche into his jungian bullshit is disgusting, and I haven't seen his videos with any care or real attention, but it often looks like he's about to go into evolutionary psychology territory, which should be the official mark of a hack: using your fanfiction about pre-history to naturalize post-enlightenment western behaviour is worse than, I don't know, social darwinism or medieval theology from a epistemological rigour standpoint.
>>
>>9525342
forced meme
>>
>>9526088
>All these marxists and faggots who can't stop dick riding Foucault and Derrida for one minute

Got any intellectuals who aren't this way, anon? Don't get me wrong, Petersen is a faggot too.
>>
>>9526127
I actually do know a bunch of more traditionalist guys, I just won't recommend you any of them because you're even a bigger faggot than Peterson.
Grow some balls to read people who might disagree with you and come back to me.
>>
Right, so people who don't like Peterson take issue with his Christian apologetics where he seems to deem cultural Christian as an acceptable theist category, his dismissal of postmodernism as a monolith (most likely caused by equating it with post-structuralism), his liberal use of Jungian archetypes and narratives as the only tools for ''''darwinian truth'''... Am I missing something? I doubt people here hate him because he thinks it's ridiculous for the government to mandate the use of gender neutral pronouns.

People who dislike Harris do so because of his apologetics for interventionism, his positivist/naturalist attitude and I'm assuming ancaps dislike him because he wants to raise taxes for the rich. Is that it?

I really don't see how any of these views can generate so much visceral hate. I'm not a fan of either of these guys, but they seem to be reasonable individuals and certainly far from cult leaders or ideologues of the sorts we see in other meme philosophers or meme youtube contributors. A chunk of their audience does seem to behave as if they are part of a cult, but I think this is an unintended byproduct of their output.
>>
>>9526139
>Assuming I haven't read Slavoj or Sloterdijk
Stop projecting and share your incredible knowledge with me, eternal anon. I am desperate.
>>
>>9526166
what I forgot to add was my conclusion that actually hating either of these guys makes you more of an ideologue than any of their fans in my eyes.
>>
>>9526170
>>9526170
You've read Sloterdjik and think he's a marxist?
>>
>>9526166
The big thing you're missing here anon is that both of these guys are "Reddit." So far as I understand, being "Reddit" in this context just means you serve as a catch-all stopping point for anyone who is pursuing critical theory only insofar as it will inflate their own vanity. For the vast majority of idiots, you can stop at a simplistic figure like Harris or Petersen, because you actually have to be somewhat well-read to begin picking their arguments to shreds. So guys like this--sophists who create rhetorical knots that all seem to end with "my patreon is in the description" catch normies who only "read" to prop up the vicarious image of themselves of being smart that they desperately tend. Also keep in mind reading for these people stops at viewing YouTube videos, which is why these neo-sophists can even market their shitty brands in the first place.

I think that's a big part of why /lit/ hates them.
>>
>>9526194
Is this even /lit/? Are we still allowed to make good posts? Keep the fight my dude
>>
>>9525342
>Can someone tell me why this guy is talked about every single day when all he did was make a big stink about not calling trans people by their preferred genders?
Maybe because there's something underneath the surface of the topic that's being discussed.
That's exactly why this has blown up over his youtube videos. There is an underlying issue, because of the ideological war on campuses.
>>
>>9526177
Sloterdijk's stance on a lot of shit is based on mid century post-structuralism. It has become a meme in recent months to equate any and all progeny of Marxism with Marxism itself--thus the post-structuralists and the postmodernists--so yeah, in the spirit of the meme, anyone who takes Foucault seriously in current year can be flippantly discarded as not having even set one foot into the dissident kitchen yet.
>>
>>9526194
I see. So it's more about how the monolith of '''''''''''''''''/lit/'''''''''''''' perceives their audience, plus the means by which they sustain themselves financially (being largely dependant on donations).

Seems a bit like petifaggotry to me. I have a nasty feeling that the hate comes from /lit/ identity politics, or a large part of /lit/ being Marxist/ancap ideologues and/or young and immature.
>>
>>9526207
First of all, I don't get why people conflate post-structuralism with marxism, since a lot of writers (the big memes at least, Foucault D&G and Derrida) are actually ACTIVELY trying to DISTANCE themselves from marxism theory.
I don't give a fuck that it's become a meme, this actually makes you look even worse, you're letting ideas which have nothing to do with those thinkers influence the way you perceive them, and this is exactly the sort of situation post-structuralists as a whole were arguing for, and maybe if you actually tried to read and understand them, you wouldn't come off as such a dolt.
>>
>>9525342
I quite like his lectures and his talks about the mythological origins for human behavior and archetypes. I'm sure he has biases, but then he does specifically state that he doesn't count on anyone just believing everything he says, on the contrary.

I don't know, I've listened to about 15 hours worth of lectures during work and I quite like him.
>>
He's very articulate and fun to listen, even if 90% of what he says is nonsensical garbage that falls apart under the most basic scrutiny
>>
File: 1492006576413.png (127KB, 354x351px) Image search: [Google]
1492006576413.png
127KB, 354x351px
>>9526008
>only six or seven blacks in the top image
>none in the bottom image
heheheheh
>>
>>9526234
It's just a game, anon, why you have to be mad,

Also the notion that these ideas have nothing to do with our list of thinkers is pretty optimistic; I don't think you actually think that. Also why do you think the post-structuralists were eager for this sort of a landscape where associations and marketing are god? Also you're still insinuating I haven't read the material. I think you're doing that because it's the easiest way out of this odd argument you have available to you, which leaves your personal image untouched.

"Well anon didn't even READ it so who cares, back to me"

Stop that. Also why are you assuming the meme can't be employed as a self aware tool? I am well aware of the way I am loading Marxism in order to drive my point. Instead of sperging out and claiming I haven't read your meme philosophers, maybe make a case?
>>
His rise signifies a transition in reactionaries from the use of supposedly rational paradigms (Sam Harris, Charles Murray, Ayn Rand) to one that is indifferent to it. It's kind of scary to see these people so concerned with protecting the status quo that they no longer care to to use reason to defend it.
>>
>>9526292
What the fuck are you even talking about. Which ideas? Do you mean marxism? Because yeah, as I've said, they were trying to DISTANCE themselves from it, which assumes a initial closeness. Your point is that these writers which clearly wanted to get away from marxist theory are marxists, my point is that they weren't and that this wole "HURRRRRRRR LE POSTSTRUCTURALISTS WNT TO DESTROY THE WORLD" is making /lit/ worst by the day. You might seem to think you're a fresh and original thinker but the truth is that day in, day out and it gets pretty dull after a while, specially when you're talking about "these ideas" which you don't even seem to get a grasp on. You knowing you're being memed doesn't change the fact you're being memed.
>>
File: wew.jpg (91KB, 589x514px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
91KB, 589x514px
Ring wing is so devoid of intellectuals that they will jerk off to a random self help youtube guy without blinking an eye just because he agrees with them on some issues.

But ben stiller is also a tard.
>>
>>9526275
Stop wasting your time and listen to lectures of any random professor who doesn't spew this much bullshit.
>>
>>9526328
>who doesn't spew this much bullshit.
good goy, dont listen to people you disagree with.
>>
File: IMG_3447.jpg (21KB, 427x409px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3447.jpg
21KB, 427x409px
>>9526317
Jesus Christ, anon. You are the worst sort of person.
>>
>>9526304
How is sam harris a reactionary? He's pretty left wing.
>>
>>9525342
Resentment.
>>
>>95263242
>hurr if you dont agree its just cause you haven't read Kant

Harris has a degree from Stanford in philosophy. I'm pretty sure he knows the western canon better than all you brainlets on /lit/ and twitter
>>
>>9526652
>good goy
It's time to get back to the containment board.
>>
>>9526738
As left wing as an imperialist can be I guess.
>>
>>9526738
Yeah, bending over to the authoritarian, imperialist government is left wing as hell.
>>
>>9526860
>authoritarian, imperialist
Any more buzzwords you're willing to throw around?
>>
>>9526871
I don't think you understand what a buzzword is kiddo.
>>
>>9525342
You accuse him of generalizing and being vague and then post shit like
>he starts fucking crying because people don't accept jesus christ into their hearts

I wanted to give you a serious reply but you don't deserve it.
Make a new thread and approach it with some intellectual honesty and maybe I'll give it a try.

But we all know you're just a drama queen faggot shitposter, don't we?
>>
>>9525342
weak bait
>>
>>9526871

How uneducated do you have to be to consider 'authoritarian' and 'imperialist' to be buzzwords?
>>
>>9526860
I'm sure there's also a great deal of left wingers that praise Charles Murray too.
>>
>>9526917
I've made it six seconds in before starting to laugh, is he for real?
>>
>>9526917
>the last 5 minutes are about his online self-help program

IT'S ALL A SCAM
STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM FFS
>>
>>9526947
Shit, I'm sorry, that was the wrong video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnEFt20qe0o
>>
>>9526953
>>9526947
Three seconds into this one.
>>
>>9525342
>I literally saw him use an article that was written about conservatives (the one that says they have higher levels of fear and disgust) and went on a talk show and said that study was about liberals.
To be fair, it's only natural to have high levels of fear and disgust if the entire establishment is against you.
>>
No one gives a shit about this guy, and people who do are e-celeb fadsters. He is not a producer of great literature and has nothing to say about great literature. I guarantee if you pulled the IPs of posters who bump this thread it will just be a few samefags.

Sage.
>>
>>9526969
This guy is an idiot.
Peterson has loads of shit he's written about the big five and how that ties into conservatism and liberalism.
Im 99% sure he wasn't using that fucking article, but his own academic research.
>>
>>9526975
>Nothing to say about great literature
What are you smoking dude?
He says a lot of stuff about literature, one of them being the BIBLE.
I don't know about you, but I consider that great literature.
>>
>>9526975
The vast majority of people shilling him here are from /pol/ and don't actually read (anything, philosophy especially), only watch his youtube videos. It's pretty obvious from the low iq posts and constant spam of cuck/reddit/goy/whatever is the new buzzword of the day on that board, in the threads about him.
>>
File: 135286278272.jpg (66KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
135286278272.jpg
66KB, 900x900px
/lit/ bluepill me on metanarratives, I want to believe.
>>
>>9527008
Just read Maps of Meaning and watch his lectures. His lectures don't really stand on their own.
>>
File: infinte jist.jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
infinte jist.jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
>>9525465
>I'll have the combo meal with the extra large straw man, please.
>>
>>9525342
You sound like a butthurt tranny.
>>
>>9527405
You sound like someone who should get back to his containment board.
>>
>>9525544
>gorgeous
>>
All old fucks must die
>>
>>9527410
>Lit is completely homogenous.
>>
>>9525498
sex
>>
>>9525342
People have long since complained about the ideological invasion into the humanities in universities. But nobody in the relevant positions was willing to make a stand about it. You can find tons of youtubers talking about these issues and threads on forums and image boards, like this one, since at least 3 years about these topics regularly. Peterson is popular because he is an established professor with an actual good track record of successes in his field, acting as a mouth piece for these ideas that were (so far) ignored by the public and academia.
>>
>>9526088
>Slavoj Zizek

My problem with Zizek is how trite and superficial some of his projects are.

His shit on Buddhism was mind-bogglingly weak and made me think that at best he skimmed some wikipedia articles.

Dude was getting basics wrong and couldn't recall the distinction between theravada and mahayana, but thinks he is leveling a serious criticism? What?!
>>
>>9526088
>Peter Sloterdjik

HAHAHAHAHA, Peter "unironically a student of OSHO" Sloterdjik.
>>
Harris is a scientism-materialist dogmatist.
>>
>>9527461
I don't think that being transgender is an ideological thing at all. What people seem to want to do is deny that trans people exist, you have it backwards.
>>
>>9527843
Transgenderism is a fetish mostly.
>>
>>9526006
>Dismissing people on these grounds
Absolute pleb. What job does someone need to have for you to respect their educated opinions? What do YOU do, for that matter?
>>
>>9526317
>being memed
What the FUCK is the alternative, anon? Ignore the most widely influential thinkers? Fucking hell, I'm not that anon who you're arguing with but you trigg'd me majorly with your exclusive-club-of-one fart-sniffing arrogance. You are a childish piece of shit who uses philosophy for virtue signalling even on an anonymous Spanish cactus-carving forum. Kys you deadshit cuntflap.
>>
>>9527866
That's utter bullshit. There's people who would literally kill themselves than live as the gender they don't feel they are.
>>
>>9527843
That gender is purely socially constructed and mental illness is an oppressive concept is ideological.
>>
>>9527867

I agree with you. "He is a neuroscientist", "he is a psychologist", "they are REDDIT", arent arguments.

I have never heard of these guys (I am not American), but the debate about transexuals and pronouns reached my country and it bothers me, because being angry with how your language evolved through the centuries seems ridiculous to me. In fact it is worse in my country because my language has grammatic gender, so the reform would be more drastic than in English.
It is almost like enforcing some light sjw inspired language reform.

There are genderless languages btw, and these people unintentionally imply those languages are better/more progressive.

I also dont understand why feels matter so much. How you feel isnt valuable information, what matters is whether you are a male or a female. One is subjective, the other isnt. And only one is valuable information in the army, a hospital, a sports competition or the courtroom.
>>
>>9525342
He is an intelligent, well-read man, who has figured out where he stands in his values and politics and does not have a problem speaking his ideas or where they came from.

For all these reasons, even if you disagree with him, he generously provides a huge amount of content of food for thought.
>>
>>9525544
>his ability to totally shut down people in an argument
cringe. this is the kind of things philistines draw pleasure from. you only enjoy intellectual pursuits insofar as they operate like a sports game
>>
>>9526166
It's not so much they're views as their limited intellectual acumen. I don't dislike Sam Harris because of what he believes in, even though I disagree, because some of that can be thought-provoking. I'm more annoyed by his trite attempts to criticise (and capitalise on his criticism of) things like religion. No problem with that, but he is not providing anything substantial. It is basically a vanity project.
>>
>>9525376
why isn't he?
because he's famous?
>>
Sam Harris is ideologically driven. Arguments are ideologically driven. Fuck off b8
>>9525544
>logic is good
>level-headedness is good
Ideologue
>>
>>9526166
>why would a Christian be enraged by people who reduce Christianity to brainwashing, or worse, a Pascalian distraction
>>
>>9527887
Ideological fetishes do that. Stop whining.
>>
File: 1433650667600.png (213KB, 383x379px) Image search: [Google]
1433650667600.png
213KB, 383x379px
>>9525480
OP is clearly a faggot, but you are too. JP is a hack, just like Zizek, yet both a praised because this place has become reddit. You're all faggots.
>>
>>9526059
Had the same realization. Sam Harris is a complete idiot, is insanely obsessed with his status/image, and is one of the most notable pseudointellectuals that I've ever come across.

if anyone doubts this, actually read one of his books. He's a complete fraud that's perpetuated the idea that he's a "calm, intelligent, rationalist".
>>
File: disgusted heidegger.jpg (8KB, 205x245px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted heidegger.jpg
8KB, 205x245px
>>9526953
What the fuck. I'm speechless.
>>
>>9525342
I feel like this bait was crafted specifically for me.
>>
>>9526207
Please tell me no-one seriously thinks Sloterdijk is a Marxist.
>>
>>9526059
If you're over 18/19 and you care about these Z-list youtube intellectuals you need an internet detox.

Thats a bit too strong - the thing is we love to hear people who agree with us; if youre an atheist, you'll give Harris a pass, if you get worked up about PC stuff same for Peterson.

btw I went through an atheist phase about 8 years ago and I liked Hitchens - but even then Harris embarrassed me - I think its because he's really obviously vain - it makes me uncomfortable to see an adult male frowning and pouting all over the place
>>
File: 1494713949343.jpg (113KB, 634x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1494713949343.jpg
113KB, 634x1024px
>>9528379

>btw I went through an atheist phase about 8 years ago and I liked Hitchens - but even then Harris embarrassed me - I think its because he's really obviously vain - it makes me uncomfortable to see an adult male frowning and pouting all over the place

I never had an atheist "phase" because I've always been an atheist, but that doesn't mean I agree with any of them (although I've always hated Hitchens because he's an alcoholic warmonger). I don't think atheism is a rational conclusion or the anything to proselytize about. It's simply how I feel.

You're also being uncharitable to Harris if you think he's only a "Z-list youtube intellectual." Whether you like him or not, he's pretty well-known. It's one thing to say you don't like him, it's another to be disingenuous and imply he's TheAmazingAtheist or something. Or even Peterson.
>>
>>9528406
Fuck you slut, you're the same from the classical thread, I ALREADY TOLD IM SUPERIOR TO YOU STOP POSTING NOW
>>
File: Cw0waI6XcAAR178.jpg (62KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Cw0waI6XcAAR178.jpg
62KB, 1200x675px
>>9528422
>>
Not one person in this thread has offered a criticism of Harris' ideas.
>>
File: 1494712929351.jpg (177KB, 1374x957px) Image search: [Google]
1494712929351.jpg
177KB, 1374x957px
>>9528462

That's because he has none?

Not saying he's wrong, just that he has no ideas of his own. He's just an amalgam of rational materialism. He even says that himself. That he sees no need to do the research and come up with original ideas himself, and that he sees job as bringing that information to the masses.

In other words, he's barely sentient. What the fuck is there to talk about? You might say he holds "views"; but he has no "ideas."
>>
>>9525342
TLDR on Peterson?

I only found out about him recently and was surprised to see that he has a big following?

What's going on? Why do people like him? What does he do and say that make him such a meme?
>>
>>9528462
Night in the Museum 2 was a downgrade from the first one
>>
>>9528482

He's actually stated that it's not accurate to describe him as a materialist. I also don't think it makes much sense to say that someone with no original ideas (if that is true of Harris) is "barely sentient".
>>
>>9528497
People seem to hate him just because he has no interest in being an academic and because he's well known.
>>
>>9528483

He's a psychologist that's really into evolutionary biology and psychoanalysis.

And he's a meme because he repeats the same things over and over when he's on shows/podcasts

>clean your room
>jungian archetypes
>pinocchio
>hero figure
>dominance hierarchies

The list goes on... Plus, he's famous with /pol/ because he fights SJWs and because there have been a few incidents of him being connected to frogs. And since then he's made a video on memetics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYJlNbV1OM

Just start with this. He's almost a completely different person when he teaches actual classes.
>>
>>9528497

I'm clearly being hyperbolic and obnoxious. Also, the fact that he doesn't want to be described as a materialist doesn't strike me as compelling when you go by his dogmatic adherence to scientific enterprises.
>>
>>9528560

He was recently asked by Josh Zepps if he thought consciousness ended with death and his response was something like "I have a space there where an opinion should be." How many materialists would respond like that? I think he values science to the degree it should be valued, but my impression is that he has a good understanding of its limitations.
>>
>>9528574

>I have a space there where an opinion should be.

Can you seriously not tell he's catering to normies with responses like these? I can think of plenty of materialists that respond like that, because people take it as them being humble, while they themselves think it's an ironic answer to an unintelligible question. At the end of the day, he's dodging the answer, and that's it. He's literally saying nothing substantive.
>>
>>9526079
>t. someone with a messy room
>>
File: hey leddit.png (195KB, 300x268px) Image search: [Google]
hey leddit.png
195KB, 300x268px
>>9525342
>>
>>9526088
You have to be joking
>>
>>9528219
because he writes several books in defense of ethical consequentialism / utilitarianism and then reverts to ethical deontology as soon as the united states does something with bad consequences abroad (like killing tens of thousand innocents in iraq etc)
>>
File: hegelsystem.jpg (571KB, 1994x3890px) Image search: [Google]
hegelsystem.jpg
571KB, 1994x3890px
>>9526127
the biggest critics of postmodernism are Marxists as well, like Fredric Jameson's "Postmodernism: the cultural logic of late capitalism" etc. Structuralist Marxists are also very angery at pomo / identity politic / poststructuralism / postcolonialism etc.
>>
File: shaikh.png (633KB, 1049x604px) Image search: [Google]
shaikh.png
633KB, 1049x604px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGld3FbDY6s
>>
basically peterson is a cuck

basically peterson is a cuck
>>
>>9528735
But he is not wrong. The intentions matter.

If the United States goal were to rid a state of a dictator and the results were unintended deaths through a civil war that is one thing.

If their goal was to go out and conquest whatever state they were in and the casualties didn't matter that is another thing.

If they were just out seeking to kill as many people as they could and they just happened to start with Iraq then that is an entirely new thing.
>>
Recently, I've noticed a startling correlation between dislike of Jordan Peterson and men with gynecomastia, early onset balding, and dopamine driven lives.

This is all getting pretty meta: pseudointellectual contrarians to the troll contrarian fans of an ideological driven contrarian who opposes authoritarian marxist contrarians trying to label the accepted social norms and foundations of society as contrarian.
>>
>>9526194
>you actually have to be somewhat well-read to begin picking their arguments to shreds
why doesn't anyone go ahead and do that then? i find some of harris and jp's videos very entertaining but what i would really enjoy is an actual debate with somebody that can refute their arguments, but there is none. jp has said more than once that he would gladly debate any "postmodernist" that opose him but nobody wants to do it.

if they are charlatans, why does nobody discredit them?
>>
File: 1443071041785.jpg (99KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1443071041785.jpg
99KB, 400x388px
>>9525342

This guy is working to save Western society and he's doing a damn good job of it
>>
I'm not quite sure if OP and posts like >>9526088
are trolling or not.
Either way, it's low quality and I'm not bored enough to engage with it.
>>
>>9528820
The legislation really isn't that important.
>>
>>9528808
This.

>>9528835
It's about more than the legislation. That's surface level.
>>
>>9528848
It's only the surface level to Peterson and his followers. Canadas not going to become stalinist Russia because of trannies having slightly more leverage and visibility. As some of the speakers said during petersons testimony Canada already has laws similar to this regarding things like inciting and genocide.
There might be more "transtrenders" as lgbt says but who cares?
I think Peterson is just doing all this for publicity.
>>
>>9525342
real /pol/ here

he's a reddit hero, don't pay him any attention
>>
>>9528859
you sound as though you didn't watch peterson and the lawyer's rebuttal to all those claims in the same video you talk about
>>
>>9528859
>It's only the surface level to Peterson and his followers.
He actually spends way more time with his psychology lectures and stuff and many people watch that.
The SJW shit is just a sidekick. He might come of as an attention whore with it, but that's because pretty much no other academic dares to speak about this nonsense (and there are barely any conservative academics).
>>
>>9528879
I did, I just think he overestimates people demanding to be called "xer" and stuff like that. He didn't even have he supposed list of crazy pronouns that he's so scared about. It will be forgotten in a month.
>>
>>9528885
Yeah he's an interesting guy and I had a ton watching his lectures about mythology but this pronoun crap is a joke.
>>
>>9528892
>He didn't even have he supposed list of crazy pronouns that he's so scared about
one of the points he made was that people, like himself, don't even know the pronouns you will be forced to use
>>
>>9528859
>>9528892
Isn't the real problem setting the legal precedent of compelling speech? No matter the content, the form is quite an incredible new regulation of language in Western democracy.
>>
>>9528898
Then he is a complete moron who didn't even research the law he was trying to criticize, what a surprise.
>>
>>9528902
not knowing all the pronouns by heart doesn't equal not knowing the bill.
>>
>>9528899
It's a non issue because nothin will play out in reality because of the bill. Someone might get misgendered in conversation and corrected, that's it. How is it a slippery slope in to communism?
>>
>>9528905
The bill doesn't say anything about pronouns you tard, hahah. How does it feel to be such a brainwashed idiot that you are so well-versed in his position on the issue and not the issue itself?
>>
>>9528910
Um, ok. I'm gay anon but I still think even a few people losing their livelihoods over not baking cakes for gay weddings is too far. If the bill won't come to much in reality, why so much stock in letting it get passed? And again, I mentioned nothing about a slippery slope to Communism, and nothing about transgender, but about the legal precedent of compelling speech. I'm not big on Peterson but I think that's a legitimate concern, regardless of its source.
>>
>>9528892

>I did, I just think he overestimates people demanding to be called "xer" and stuff like that. He didn't even have he supposed list of crazy pronouns that he's so scared about. It will be forgotten in a month.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, so let me clue you in.

He's not overestimating the number of people that want to be called by a random pronoun at all. In fact, if you would've paid attention to what Jordan has to say, one of his principle arguments is the very arbitrary nature of these pronouns and the incredibly tiny number of special snowflakes that want to use them. Time and time again, he mentions that the vast majority of trans people (who are already a small group) find this whole thing distasteful because they consider themselves born "men" or "women" at birth, and that this is appropriation used in their name by a bunch of lunatics. Which, quite frankly, is exactly what it is. Trans men and women have biological evidence supporting their choice in gender. These people have nothing. Absolutely nothing. They're ideologues without any substance, that are a 1% of an already peripheral group.

And if you would've watched an earlier video, you would've also discovered that Jordan has no problem with adding pronouns, or having a neutral pronoun added to the English language in general. He just thinks it should be a natural process that develops as people socialize, and not one imposed by the authorities.

As it stands, there is no set number of pronouns. There isn't anything. You could basically tell a person that you want them to refer to you as "bobobo" and they're obligated to do so, or it's an offense. That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>9528913
?
>>
>>9528917
http://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/
>>
>>9528920
I'm not sure why you're responding to me with that or what you said above. I said that not knowing the pronoun list doesn't mean he doesn't know the bill. Yet you're going on about something entirely different.

However, since you changed the subject on me and brought up this separate thing I might as well respond. He mentioned in the senate vid that he would agree with the interpretation in your link if it wasn't for something they posted on their website and then took down about how the bill was supposed to be interpreted in a certain way. The people in favor of the bill seem to ignore that and just go with what the bill says and not the higher context they put it in.
>>
>>9528820
See here's the reason why I can't take Jordan Peterson seriously. No one aside from teenagers on the internet give a flying fuck about social justice warriors. Even among teenagers on the internet it's becoming a tired subject that's been pointlessly run to the ground. We have the Republicans controlling Congress and literally passing legislation to allow your ISPs to sell your information to private interests, yet for some reason all of the keyboard warriors online are still complaining about muh SJWs. In the grand scheme of things who gives a fuck about what some nobody on a college campus says? They don't pass any laws or legislation, they don't run the country, so why care? The only reason why is because complaining about SJWs is an easy trend to hop on to get attention, because the children online need to feel upset about something, but don't have any actual life experience to know what to be upset about and SJWs is the easiest low hanging fruit to grasp on.
>>
>>9528895
the pronoun crap is just the symptom of the underlying issue, which is why something so stupid caused the storm it caused when he posted a stupid youtube video and it hasn't gone away after 9 months. and its not even their central problem in the bill, seriously did you even listen to his arguments
>>
>>9528923
Yeah I don't know why I'm clarifying the fact that the bill won't be forcing anyone to use pronouns that they don't know even exist. But of course it will, because of my personal interpretation that allows me to justify my edgy transphobic views.
>>
>>9528935
that was very childish of you
>>
>>9528916
How would that ACTUALLY play out though? "Call me bonobo it's a pronoun I just made up" "no" *gets arrested* I don't think would possibly play out.
>>
>>9528934
It went away after a week, but not in the minds of irrelevant /pol/babies who continue to shill him because at last they have someone sharing their idiotic views.
>>
>>9528934
dumb bills being proposed to congress is not a new or recent phenomenon
>>
>>9528940
>400+ articles in newspapers and blogs
>letters from the university to jp telling him to stfu
>lectures cancelled for the safety of the speakers or because of loud protesters, one of them not even a month ago i think
>>
>>9528926
The poster you're replying to never mentioned SJWs and Peterson's main thing isn't SJWs.
>>
>>9528536
He doesn't even go on about Pinocchio that much unless you watch the videos specifically relating to it. If anything his big phrases are clean your room and BLOODY POSTMODERNIST.

>>9528940
You're using /pol/ as a shit buzzword. You could argue that Peterson is anti-/pol/ because he doesn't support the anti-Jew comments /pol/ leaves on his videos.
>>
>>9528955
The articles about the issue died out after a week after people actually looked into the issue. The rest is all about his new reputation which he acquired after becoming a lapdog for the internet racists and bigots that usually get protested at college campuses.
>>
>>9528963
>#notall/pol/tards
Sure thing.
>>
>>9528966
>after becoming a lapdog for the internet racists and bigots
give me a single source where he displays a racist, bigoted or transphobic view, or incites violence in any way or whatever
>>
>>9528939

How it works out is that they will tell you how they want to be called, and they'll get offended if you don't do it. Evidently, you're not going to be arrested because you called someone the wrong pronoun when you haven't even met.

But if you refuse to use them on principle, they consider that assault.
>>
>>9528939
It's about the fact that if you chose NOT to say it, repeatedly, a social justice tribunal (yes it exists and it's really called that) would have the authority to give you a hefty fine. Precedents set it into the tens of thousands. Refusing to pay the fine would then be a much more serious offence. Not only that but companies are responsible for the compelled speech of their staff. So companies are either going to be LESS motivated to hire special snowflakes because of the potential lawsuits (counter to the intentions of the advocates "for" this group), or they would just fire the person who thinks bobobo is silly. This has ramifications, you wanting to just sweep it under the rug is basically just an excuse to stay safely apathetic about these social issues.
>>
>>9528969
You can't just fucking throw something out there and then pick and choose how to interpret it. And it ain't like /pol/ actually fucking influenced any of his thought, or that the SJW meme shit that got /pol/'s attention in the first place has anything to do with his real lectures.
>>
>>9528976
Your reading comprehension isn't very good.
>>
>>9528982
Yeah, exactly, you can't. That's why the whole controversy stirred up by his pants on head retarded interpretation died after a week.
>>
>>9528984
>died after a week
You are literally delusional. It's really strange, anon.
>>
>>9526746

Yours?
>>
>>9528219
Sam Harris' entire objective morality argument just begs the question. He's just arguing that something is objectively bad because we say it's objectively bad.
>>
>>9528990

Apparently mostly gay freaks.
>>
>>9527843
>I don't think that being transgender is an ideological thing at all. What people seem to want to do is deny that trans people exist, you have it backwards.
Did you even listen to anything the guy says? Or do you get your opinion pre-chewed from tumblr/reddit?

Trans people are being taken for a ride, they are being used to further an ideological agenda. Never once has he claimed trans people don't exist. Never once has he said being trans is ideological. Actually he said the opposite. The people he is up against on the other hand believe gender/sexual identity/sex are personal choices and not informed by a biological reality. Social constructivists of intersectional gender feminism who try to force their ideology into the school system and law.
>>
>>9525342
>Can someone tell me why this guy is talked about every single day when all he did was make a big stink about not calling trans people by their preferred genders?

Because people who actually have a problem with transpeople now have a more tenable narrative to push. They'll outwardly say that they don't hate transepople, they hate the marxists who use them as a political meatshield. It's the same thing people who hate fags do when they support Milo.
>>
>>9529007
Or maybe they actually mean what they say and aren't hiding some sinister evil. Ever heard of charitable interpretations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity

You on the other hand always assume the worst possible interpretation so you can demonize your opponent.
>>
>>9528987
I understand it might be quite a shock that people don't care about the random garbage that gets reposted daily on /pol/.
>>
>>9528979
I don't think a crazy person that wants to be called bobobo could hold a job in the first place so this will only be an issue for people that are legitimately transphobic who refuse to properly gender someone in a formal setting like a workplace. you still have freedom of association meaning the crazy bonobos and xers will be naturally weeded out. even though I wouldn't have a problem calling someone a crazy name if that's what they prefer, it seems kind of fun desu.
>>
>>9529011
I would have agreed with you a year ago, but there is far more people who would take that position thank you think. The recent US election was like a coming out party.
>>
>>9528999
>they are being used
lmao consider getting yourself checked, you might have a learning disability of some kind if that's what you consider giving the rights to minority groups have been fighting for them for ages
>>
>>9528999
what is "Social constructivists of intersectional gender feminism"
>>
>>9528979
>this is what /pol/ actually believes
kek and you are surprised why nobody takes you seriously
>>
>>9529019
what the fuck, are you saying people who voted trump had sinister intent? and are you saying that because some people are assholes, others who hold views i disagree with are also assholes in disguise?
>>
>>9529019
>>9529023
>>9529025
>>9529027
>this level of discourse
you're way worse than the /pol/tards desu
>>
>>9529015
>taking bobobo literally and not as an example of the xer xie vie etc.
The fact that they can't hold a job because of their weirdness is exactly the tact peterson takes sometimes. That he will not play into their childish solution because it disempowers them rather than their claim that it would empower them.

>>9529013
He says while engaging in a discussion about said non-existent issue.
>>
>>9528979
>a social justice tribunal (yes it exists and it's really called that)
who cares? am I supposed to think it's run by screeming green haired banshees because of the /pol/ internet sjw memes? are social and justice ruined words now?
>>
>>9529031
The issue very much exists and it's all the shilling going on here. It's time to stop.
>>
>>9529023
The right to force people to use whatever pronoun they identify with that day? The legislation Peterson is fighting against is poorly written and vague.

Also please tell how punishing people who use the "wrong" pronouns is going to help the trans community. I would argue it has the opposite effect, people don't like to be bullied into doing things and people who dislike trans folk will only dislike them even more.

>>9529019
You are doing it again. Do you seriously think all people who voted for Trump did so because they hate gays and trans people? Do you really think half of the population of america are bigots?

>>9529025
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_constructivism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_construction_of_gender
>>
>>9529029
>linking a bunch of posts and greentexting is good discourse
>>
>>9529031
yeah anyone that wants to be called xer or bobobo would be extremely childish, that's why they don't really exist and that's not what the bills about.
>>
>>9529034
When they want to financially ruin and publicly defemate people with the label "hate crime" because they choose to acknowledge the biological truth of gender, for example, yes.

>>9529038
>shilling
Fucking hell, so it's not important enough because everyone's forgotten after a week, then it's important enough to pay people to publicly encourage constant discussion of it? People are just interested in shit they are drawn to. Take off the tinfoil. If you want this discussion out of your life you can make that happen instantly by just quietly fucking off.
>>
>>9529045
Have you watched the videos? They do exist. They are there in front of your eyes and ears. I have some at my uni. They caused a similar public outcry against a teacher for teaching evolutionary principles about gender. It exists. What more do you want?
>>
>>9529042
That's not what the legislation pertains to, it isn't poorly written or vague, if you think it is, it only means that you are mentally deficient. Which is a surprising correlation with the fact that people who made it into collage actually seem not to share your views on the matter.
>>
>>9529047
>When they want to financially ruin and publicly defemate people with the label "hate crime" because they choose to acknowledge the biological truth of gender, for example, yes.
like I said this bill only effects people that are transphobic.
>>
>>9529047
The saddest part is that people like you actually do think it's important, and what's more, do it for free. Sorry if being called out triggers you, this isn't /pol/ echo chamber where everyone will agree with you as long as your opinion is sufficiently edgy. I know, new concept.
>>
>>9529048
yeah a few crazy people that want to be called xer exist so what.
>>
>>9529047
Gender isn't biological moron. It's nice to have a confirmation that people who eat this shit up are simply uneducated and stupid.
>>
>>9529051
>transphobic

Stop belittling mental illness. Millions of people struggle with real phobias every day, and here you are devaluing the term for your cheap political points. Disgusting. Are you even an ally to oppressed intersectional groups? I doubt it.
>>
>>9529051
>acknowledging biology is transphobic
Wew.

>>9529052
>not being apathetic is sad
>throws around the /pol buzzword completely irrelevantly
Grow up.
>>
>>9529049
Nice ad hominem. I am in university and gender activists don't represent the majority of anything, neither people who work for and attend universities nor minorities.

>That's not what the legislation pertains to, it isn't poorly written or vague
Are you unable to make a coherent argument? This is the equivalent of "No u!".
>>
>>9529056
sorry you can't be transphobic in canada publicly any more. luckily there's hundreds of other countries for you.
>>
>>9529055
It most certainly is. Sex is COMPLETELY biological. Gender is a socially constructed quality that has emerged mostly out of biology. It is not separate or distinct unless you are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>9529058
Of course you are in university, just like all the other right wingers on the internet, shame that when the push comes to shove there aren't that many of you out there. But I guess that it's just another conspiracy.

There is already a link posted by someone that explains what this legislation is about.
>>
>>9528969
JIDF is a big part of what makes /pol/ /pol/.
>>
>>9529066
1. I am not a right winger
2. I am not canadian
3. Pointing to some link as an excuse for not being able to put it in your own words is a sign of a poor understanding and an appeal to authority.
>>
>>9528808
>why doesn't anyone go ahead and do that then?
Because honestly no one outside their fanbase take them seriously (or even realize that they even exist, for that matter). Honestly just look at Harris's embarrassing fan emails to Chomsky and you'll see that Harris is a clueless nobody to anyone who is even slightly relevant.
>>
>>9529062
I think you should read your post a few times over and maybe then you will figure out why what you've just written is hilariously stupid.
>>
>>9529057
>gender
>biology
Oh, I don't think I will bother replying to an internet warrior who doesn't even have the slightest idea what he's talking about. Can you put on a trip for this thread, would be appreciated.
>>
>>9529071
>doesn't even know what an appeal to authority is
Yeah, looks like I was right about you being both stupid and uneducated.
>>
>>9529073
>>9529076
>buying the gender is a social construct meme
You have been mindfucked by the postmodernists.
>>
>>9529019
this has to be b8

stop replying to this shitty reddit-tier "discussion"
>>
>>9529079
I think it's time to go back.
>>
File: kkk.png (74KB, 156x277px) Image search: [Google]
kkk.png
74KB, 156x277px
>>9525342
>>
File: unnamed (1).gif (539KB, 238x155px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).gif
539KB, 238x155px
>>9529082
Enjoy your memes, kid.
>>
>>9529061

There it is. There you go again committing ableism! It looks like we'll be trading one form of oppression for another thanks to twats like you.
>>
File: your feelings.gif (2MB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
your feelings.gif
2MB, 500x285px
>>9529061

Would people even be transphobic if transgender people looked good enough? I mostly see this as a technological issue.

Like, most of the time, you can't tell that a successful trans person is trans. You just assume they're whatever they've changed to, be it male or female.

But the idea that a guy that looks like Nurgle or an Astartes can put on a wig and dress, without doing anything else, and can now be considered a "she" is distasteful and stupid.

The idea that there's no reciprocity involved in any of this is insane. It's pretty much like saying you're good at writing when nobody thinks so. Simple delusion.

I don't care how much a guy wants to be a woman if he can't pull it off.

Thankfully, as technology advances, most of these issues will be solved.
>>
>>9529077
Are you going to address anything else from that post?
>>
Abandon thread, its beyond saving
>>
>>9529089
This post has got to be bait, right?
>>
ITT:
>one side just throws around insults
>other side tries to argue with insult throwers

It's pointless you know. They are just going to call you names and assume you are a bigot so they can dismiss you.
>>
>>9529090
I don't care if you are canadian or think you are right wing or not.
>>
Hail Peterson, hail Trump! MAGA
>>
>>9529089

That is what reasonable people would do, there is nothing phobic about it, its like seeing a person walking with his prolapse exposed and expect to be treated normally, you wouldn't call it assphobic.
>>
>>9529053
But that's what bill C-16 is all about. It's a tiny minority having massive, consequences on society. It's what peterson talks all about
>>
>>9529092

Why would it be? I would love to hear your side of it, if you think I'm so wrong.
>>
>>9529102
I think I'd rather just assume it was bait.
>>
>>9529076
Hellloooooo postmodernism
>>
>>9529096
Why bring it up then? You seemed to care two posts ago.
>>
File: yeah right.gif (2MB, 432x250px) Image search: [Google]
yeah right.gif
2MB, 432x250px
>>9529104

Typical.
>>
>>9529095
'But I'm right, it's me thats right not anyone else' wah wah wah
>>
File: images (50).jpg (18KB, 336x438px) Image search: [Google]
images (50).jpg
18KB, 336x438px
>>9529111
>>
>>9529111
That's not what that post said and you are building a strawman again, proving the point. One side in this thread is unable to hold a form of discourse that is not based on attacking the character of the other side.
>>
>>9529106
I don't think I did, sorry if you don't have the mental capacity to tell posters apart.
>>
>>9529114
I know that's not what you said, it was my fault I worded it the way I did. I said what I did as in impression of the people you were talking about. Sorry pal.
>>
>>9529095
>>9529111
>>9529114
>uneducated person holds an edgy opinion that goes against that of the experts on the subject and gets butthurt when people call them an idiot for it
So sad.
>>
>>9529123 I didnt even mean to call
>>9529095 out for it, I just meant to highlight what's happening.
>>
File: 1494393905119.jpg (99KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1494393905119.jpg
99KB, 640x640px
>>9529123

>i'm going to cite the opinion of "experts" without even explaining what they say and why i believe it

It's amazing how you can be so arrogant when you can't even formulate a post of your own stance. Instead, you imply the others won't read it, and take the most uncharitable stance there is. As if they're any more biased than you are, or any other person is.
>>
>>9529135
Post more anime reaction pictures. But if you are unfamiliar with the consensus on the issues you're posting about that's even more depressing.
>>
>>9525498
He's like an adult Kermit the frog
>>
>>9529148
>consensus
Top fucking kek my dude
>>
>>9529156
See, you are in fact an idiot!
>>
File: images (40).jpg (17KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
images (40).jpg
17KB, 460x276px
>>9529159
No he's not. It's a fucking controversial issue and there is no concensus. What are you even trying to do?
>>
>>9529159
Just because there is a consensus doesn't make it right.
The nazis had a consensus you blithering fool.
>>
>>9529089

Uh, no
>>
>>9529089
What's the deal with transgender people anyway?
I mean, come on. They're not transgender and they're not people.
>>
>>9529166
>>9529167
See, he is an idiot after all! And I'm very impressed that after spending all this time in the /pol/ echo chamber you've successfully deluded yourself into thinking that.
>>
>>9529087
yeah yeah boo hoo /pol/ the world is hell for cis white men we get it
>>
>>9529178
The only thing you have is ad hominem.
Oh no the /pol/ boogeyman is here!
Grow up.
Try making a coherent argument next time you post.
>>
>>9529184
Sorry if being called out on your bullshit triggers you so much.
>>
ITT: oblivious sincerity vs obsfucating irony
>>
>>9529186
Fuck you are so boring. How many YouTube comment threads are you trolling right now?
>>
>>9529178
Are you saying the nazis didn't have a consensus?
The group is often wrong.
Don't adhere to a consensus merely because it's a consensus.
>>9529186
What bullshit? I said nazis had a consensus, and you didn't even have an argument you just said you're all idiots pretty much. Not an argument, not calling anything out, you're just projecting your own inadequacies, lighting /pol/ boogeymen on fire.
>>
File: 1281210054782.png (2MB, 3516x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1281210054782.png
2MB, 3516x5000px
I'm new to /lit/. Are threads like this very typical?

Because this is exactly like /v/.
>>
>>9529191
You are incredibly entertaining on the other hand. The idea of a /pol/baby accusing someone of trolling youtube comments is certainly very amusing.
>>
>>9529193
just over peterson, sam harris, anything that has topics that could be a /pol/ magnet like feminism and jews
>>
File: images (14).jpg (3KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
images (14).jpg
3KB, 160x160px
>>9529196
>pol pol pol pol pol pol pol pol pol pol pol
What next level laziness is this?
>>
>>9529192
It's the consensus of the experts on their respective subjects, it's incredible how people like you have the temerity to get upset when they are called morons.
>>
>>9529178

Tell me you're a /pol/tard trying to shit on the other side by trolling.

Did you learn chess with Trump?
>>
>>9529193
This one's a real shitshow, but usually they aren't as bad. The threads about Peterson usually are though.
>>
>>9529193
>>9529199
Pretty much, most other threads aren't very accessible for crossposters from there.
>>
File: 1479157928189.png (75KB, 1229x417px) Image search: [Google]
1479157928189.png
75KB, 1229x417px
>>9529193
It wasn't always like this, I swear

I bet it's the damn phoneposters
>>
>>9526059
>I also liked that one time where he didn't release that long podcast with the crazy SJW Muslim because it "wasn't worth people's time" only to dramatize the whole thing for weeks. And then it turns out that he was pretty much a dick to that guy and even swore at him.

That crazy SJW muslim moron was a belligerent turbotard who refused to acknowledge the basic, simple points Sam was trying to make. Sam had every reason to get frustrated with that total fucking idiot. Listen to the episode again if you think otherwise.
>>
>>9529193
Most people itt are trolling
>>
>>9529201
>I am le triggered
Should have stayed in your containment board hugbox kiddo.
>>
File: images (31).jpg (9KB, 250x229px) Image search: [Google]
images (31).jpg
9KB, 250x229px
>>9529212
Worst. Faggot. Ever.
>>
>>9525342
He himself is a liberal you dope.
>>
>>9529173

Because?
>>
>>9529208

>That crazy SJW muslim moron was a belligerent turbotard who refused to acknowledge the basic, simple points Sam was trying to make. Sam had every reason to get frustrated with that total fucking idiot. Listen to the episode again if you think otherwise.

I'm not saying otherwise. The guy was a retard. But do you seriously think Sam wasn't releasing it because for our sake? Please. I don't believe that for a second. He knew that those corrupt left-leaning tabloids would rip him apart for being mean to the young Muslim man :((.

And that's why I don't respect him. Fucking commit, or don't. But don't play this game where you're trying to fight the good fight without stepping on anybody's toes.

It's fucking incredible that I should even be saying this. The man supports interventionism, but he's afraid he might lose listeners if he invites people that say unpopular truths. Like wtf.
>>
File: too bad so sad.jpg (40KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
too bad so sad.jpg
40KB, 500x333px
>>9529148

Can you ideologues ever hold a single discussion without returning to the same lines? You never make any arguments. It's ALWAYS an unending sequence of ad hominems or appeals to authority.

Are you even fucking human? Do you have any beliefs of your own?
>>
>>9529289
>this reddit post formatting
hi /r/benstiller
>>
>>9529293
You are the one who haven't made any arguments that disprove what is agreed upon by the academic circles. This isn't a matter of belief, learn that or accept being called the dumbass that you are.
>>
>>9529299

>what is agreed upon by the academic circles

Which is, what? State it, you fucking mong. If you are so confident in what your "academic circles" (>implying) have a consensus on, it shouldn't be so hard for you to bring all the arguments together and present them in an unassailable fashion.

Except, oh, there is no consensus, and you're citing phantoms because you have no real arguments and can only lower yourself to insulting others to feel confident in your distorted worldview.

You're a mechanical rat that has no opinions of his own or the know-how to present them.

Go back to your fucking safe space if the concept of a discussion eludes you.
>>
>>9529312
>Which is, what?
Read the thread. Looks like you are fine with 'muh ad hominems' after all :^)
>>
>>9529320

>read the thread
>doesn't point to the thing he means so the other party can waste time and then he can say 'that's not what i meant'

Again, how surprising that you won't be genuine in any fashion whatever.
>>
>>9529332
Yeah, I simply can't believe that people won't spoon feed you the information that's already within your reach.
>>
>>9529341
The thread is full of opinions, which one are you claiming is widely supported by academics?
>>
>>9529346
Are you still trying to avoid actually reading the thread?
>>
File: images (48).jpg (10KB, 410x320px) Image search: [Google]
images (48).jpg
10KB, 410x320px
>>9529358
Jesus christ...
>>
>>9529369
Yeah, I can't believe that people could be this lazy either.
>>
File: unnamed (3).gif (999KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (3).gif
999KB, 443x332px
>>9529373
>>
>>9529346
>>9529369

Don't bother, he is using every low-down tactic to can find to avoid being confronted and put down.

This is their strategy, to accuse you of not knowing things they won't even point to directly, which is somehow proof of you being below them and unworthy of discussion.
>>
>>9529384
>This is their strategy
tinfoilhat.jpg
>>
File: images (8).jpg (23KB, 441x333px) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
23KB, 441x333px
>>9529411
>>
>>9529411

It's not a conspiracy; sophistry has been a common thing for millennia, after all.
>>
>>9529425
A conspiracy of the sophists indeed!
>>
>>9528926
i dont disagree with this ona factual level but i dont like the tone - yeh i care abbout sjw's and gender pronoun madness, thats a big thing in my world now. it might not be for older people but so what?
>>
>>9529047
'defemate' lol, this should be a word. defame + defecate
>>
Some advice for /pol/ - stop saying you're 'at an elite university' - its very obvious you aren't; its just an instant giveaway that youre a crazy person
>>
>>9529056

Mental illnesses don't even exist. Read thomas sasz
>>
>>9529053
they need to be removed from society, or stripped of the platform to speak openly about their insanity.
>>
>>9525342
YES HE IS A MEME JUST IGNORE JORDAN B PETERSON THREADS AND MOVE ON
>>
>>9530698
I'll allow the public execution of furries and otherkins when we remove the sale and advertising of cigarettes, alcohol, blocking off streets for stupid things like parades, horse mounties, segway tour guides, baby yoga, and all kinds of other allowed societal illnesses.
>>
>Another perterson thread with almost 300 replies
>>
>It's hilarious to me how people think he's this brilliant thinker, I should say sad actually.
yeah, it really makes ya think huh..
>>
>>9530974
he's the new richard dawkins
>>
>>9531015
Except he's probably an order of magnitude smarter than Dawkins.

I mean, Dawkins is a science educator with the morals of a 16 year old Labour Party member.
>>
File: 1480364459214.png (847KB, 780x928px) Image search: [Google]
1480364459214.png
847KB, 780x928px
>>9525480
There's nothing wrong with him making a lot of money by itself, I think he should make as much as he possibly as long as his subscribers are happy. However there is a conflict of interest with his position as a professor and at a university, and him running a patreon which is successful because of political/ideological reasons, this dis-incentives him from changing his opinions and views if they conflict with the content that generates income for him.

My other criticism of Peterson is that he just talks about the same books/authors (Pinocchio, Dostoevsky, Gulag Archipelago, Nietzsche, etc.) over and over and over again and never seems to have read anything else.
>>
>>9531022
Is the 16 year old a closet Fabian?
>>
>>9531101
Obviously.
>>
>>9531039
>My other criticism of Peterson is that he just talks about the same books/authors (Pinocchio, Dostoevsky, Gulag Archipelago, Nietzsche, etc.) over and over and over again and never seems to have read anything else.
I believe he's very well-read, but probably only mentions stuff he finds worthwhile to the subject matter.
>>
>>9528462
He doesn't have ideas. There's nothing to pull apart. It's semi-Jungian, semi-Nietzschean (but more sentimental and Christian than Nietzsche) self-help.
>>
>>9525342
>big stink about being legally obligated to placate the mentally ill
>>
>>9528788
youre excluding that part were the United sates perpetuates a lie to the entire world about its goals and then changes them later
>>
>>9529123

I'm transgender, but the people who invented new pronouns aren't experts, they're essayists. Nobody should be fined or arrested for saying anything anyone other than a legitimate threat. Can you not see that a man telling you to call them her, Xe, Xer, Non-conforming, whatever, is a case of the emperor having no clothes and nothing more than an ego-trip? I would prefer if people called me her or she, I'm not going to have them fined for it if they don't.
>>
>>9529123
>he proselytizes whatever someone who calls themslef an "expert" says
>>
>>9529202
You can't be a scientific expert on gender theory so much as that you have objective opinions on things. It's like moral philosphy. You might be an expert on what all the thinkers believe and have inside out knowledge of their ideology, but you can't truly prove that their particularl moral system is the one we ought to follow. This is parallel to gender theory imo
>>
>>9526088
>Eduardo Viveiros de Castro
If you wanna meme a brazilian into your list, there are better choices than this guy
>>
>>9532273
but muh indians!
>>
File: 1427246978750 olabo de garbalho.jpg (57KB, 594x693px) Image search: [Google]
1427246978750 olabo de garbalho.jpg
57KB, 594x693px
>>9532273
Like who?
>>
>>9525475

I get it anon
>>
>>9529182
Isn't it largely becoming hell for 'cis white men' (god forbid if they're straight too) because of SJWs and feminists? Like, when was the term 'cis white man' even used before the year 2000? People fall victim to witch hunts for having the 'wrong' opinion. The topics of transgender people and those within the LGBTQ+WTFBBQSAUCE etc. communities largely are turning into minefields for the uninitiated.
>>
>>9526059

which episode has a crazy muzzy? I want to listen
>>
>>9526059
>As an atheist.

WHY DO ATHEISTS HAVE TO DO THIS SHUT ALL THE FUCKING TIME.
>>
File: 312708123897123.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
312708123897123.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>9526088
damn look at this brazilian monkey with all his hot opinions about psychology theology and shit lol
>>
>>9528265
>don't respext anyone or your a faggot nyeh
>>
>>9525465
well you wouldn't really know if they had committed suicide, now would you?
>>
>>9526059

>a joke. Not only that, but he's completely driven by petty concerns.

>an atheist

o i am laffin
>>
>>9532505
To show that this guy doesn't represent him, just like when on /sci/ you see 'as a christian I hate these creationist idiots'
>>
>>9526006
lel peterson is not a psychiatrist but a coach/psychologist
>>
>>9534223
Whoops I thought he said it in regards to Harris, well to say they are reaching across the aisle, virtue signalling, showing they're not biased to like him etc.
>>
https://youtu.be/f-wWBGo6a2w
Petersons new lecture on the bible.
2~ hours long
Beginning is interesting, he talks about when he gives lectures he's not saying what he knows per se, it's a learning process.
>>
>>9534543
first hour is pretty heavy on myth, dreams and jung
>>
>>9534543
he's said "well, it depends on what you mean by "x"" about a dozen times.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.