[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal What did T.S.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (844KB, 2361x1575px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
844KB, 2361x1575px
>Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal

What did T.S. Eliot mean by this? What's the difference between imitating and stealing?
>>
>>9523287
If you can't understand Eliot and if you enjoy the mediocre doodles of Basquiat then your IQ is clearly too low to properly appreciate art. I strongly suggest that you get interested in a field that doesn't require creativity and intelligence, like maybe retail
>>
>>9523311
what a naive assumption to spew
>>
If you try to be someone else, you will fail. They are better at being them than you are, they've had more practice at it. But if you take what is theirs and make it your own, you will reap the rewards of their efforts and your own. Also this quote was Stravinsky's first do your fucking research.
>>
>>9523287
Possibly, imitation acquires the scent of a man in the skin of lion, and stealing is to lionise a man. Like, bad, bad imitation is bad, and yet bad can be so good if good isn't all so bad if you give it a try - unless you try and find it smells funky and you're actually not even sure if it's fit to eat at all. So you go to the drive-through.

Or like, it's like, like so much better to teach a man to fish than to make him eat awful sushi. Cause he gets to learn how to practice his skill, maybe? Maybe not, eh? No...but like, imitating is sorta like, but not really, I know, like doing something you've been practising, and then you yaget so good it's like you've stolen it from them.

Again, though, I don't read much Eliot.
>>
If you steal something it becomes yours instead of theirs.

Which is to say, you can achieve what a past poet was attempting and surpass him, such that the attempt becomes more associated with you than with him. If you're a great poet, that is.
>>
>>9523311

Never change /lit/
>>
>>9523287
"have some fucking balls because aint nobody truly original, sooner you learn this the better"
>>
Imitating is copying someone else completely

Stealing is taking only the bits you need
>>
>>9523510
This.
>>
>>9523287
He meant that Basquiat a SHIT
>>
>>9523821
You have it wholly backwards, wow
>>
Something like this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifesto_Antrop%C3%B3fago
>>
I always attributed this to Picasso.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.