[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>No anon we are not going to accept your story because it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: Face of Despair.jpg (233KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Face of Despair.jpg
233KB, 1680x1050px
>No anon we are not going to accept your story because it has one cliche in it.

>Yes we are going to publish story about cliche dystopian future YA that is nothing more than rehashing others YA novels

What do they mean by this? I'm trying to find an answer to this paradox. Can someone explain?
>>
Because your story is not profitable and shit, while the other story is profitable and shit
>>
>>9521480
>No anon, we don't like your story. However since we have the combined literary knowledge of a slightly above average high school student we can't really tell you why beyond that we don't think other retards like us would enjoy it. Here's one of five stock rejection phrases.
*publishes Wise Man's Fear without editing
>>
>>9521480
Nothing to explain anon.
People want to read the same rehash story. (I.E Hunger games knock offs, and Twilight knock offs.)

Agents will reject stories that uses cliche in the beginning and feel good about themselves, while simultaneously accepting a story that is heavily cliche-ridden from beginning to end.
>>
>>9521493

It's a stock excuse for rejection. Be happy you got that because they normally won't even give you that. There could be nothing wrong with your book or there could be a million things wrong with it. All you can accurately gleam from a publishers rejection is that they don't want it. Chances are the first chapter was weak because that's all they really read and nothing stuck out while glancing at the rest of the book.
>>
>>9521489
Explain anon
>>
>>9521514
Its not even that anon but.
>Don't write cliche because they will aways get rejected.
>Accepts a dystopian YA story that's nothing but cliche.
I can see why people like Op can be confuse.
They say one thing but than they do the opposite
>>
>>9521480

I don't think anyone has ever been rejected because of cliches. Like you said, cliche shit gets published all the time.

Where did you get this idea from?
>>
>>9521489
kek
>>
>>9521480

>Can't understand the difference between being cliche and being profitable

Those two qualities exist independent of each other
>>
>>9521703
>Those two qualities exist independent of each other
They exist side by side
>>
>>9521713

Not really?

It's quite easy to imagine both something that is "cliche but not-profitable" and something that is "not-cliche but profitable"

Or can you actually not imagine such a thing?
>>
>>9521628
>dystopian YA bullshit sells a fuckload of books because people have bad taste
>your deep story with an interesting prose wont sell for shit

I wonder what could be going on here, my guess is that it has to do with something called market
>>
>>9521480
Capitalism, you dip. What do expect?

https://youtu.be/SWqvaMEFIdI
>>
>>9521722
Free markets were a mistake
>>
>>9521659
I don't understand the reference
>>
>>9521734
So does George prefer soviet movie industry
>>
>>9522255
I think it's more that he would've preferred being a Soviet film maker, because of the greater artistic freedom he would've had to create more cerebral films that he knows would not have seen mass popularity. He felt that under the Soviet Union, directors were more free to create art for art's sake, provided he avoided criticizing the the Soviet gov't.
>>
>>9522319
lol yea because if it's one thing the Soviets were known for it was all that artistic freedom.
>>
>>9522330
Soviet film is kino as fuck senpai. Check that shit out.
>>
>>9521480
That's why you have to disguise your novel as genre fiction
>>
>>9522319
>directors were more free to create art for art's sake
>directors were more free to create art
>directors were free
in soviet union ?? does he even know what communism is ?
>>
>>9521568
>>9521874
Wise Man's Fear is a 1000 page long unreadable piece of offal which topped the New York Times bestseller list despite being considered garbage even by fans of the author. It supposedly went through a lengthy editing process but I find that exceptionally hard to believe.
>>
>>9522330
Stalin personally saw to it that a popular anti-bolshevik writer was able to keep writing despite his White sympathies because he was such a fan of his work.
>>
>>9522330
>>9522733
Funny how the two biggest retards on the board found eachother in the same thread :)
>>
wew it's almost like capitalism incentivises profit and wageslaves look for something familiar and pleasant in the few hours of entertainment they're allowed each day so they find a solid middle ground were the plebs get their YA and superhero movies which are adequately enteraining but risk free while the producers get to make money and please stockholders
>>
>>9521489
Wew lad, bitter much?
>>
>>9524168
I've never tried to write anything, let alone get published. But yes, knowing that that Patrick Rothfuss has been published and that god knows how many people think that his work is what great writing looks like upsets me. Collectively, how many hours do you think have been wasted reading The Adventures of Kvothefuss since they were first published?
>>
>>9521734
>tfw you 'll never overthrow capitalism so comrade George can make the star wars sequels we deserve
>>
>>9524259
>Patrick Rothfuss
is he an awful writer?
>>
>>9522348
What do you recommend?

I have no idea where to start.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.