[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /lit/, i'm fairly new to this board and reading in general.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1473211094656.jpg (249KB, 799x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473211094656.jpg
249KB, 799x1080px
hey /lit/, i'm fairly new to this board and reading in general. I just finished Things Fall Apart and currently going through Storm of Steel.
I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what i should read next. Or even books you found yourself enjoying quite a bit when you started out reading.

>inb4 Infinite Jest
>>
>>9517794
Slaughterhouse 5
Stoner (Also Augustus)
Lolita

These are a couple of books that I've enjoyed recently.

Beware if you are new. If you get replies, at least one will be about shitting on your reading choices. There will be plenty more shitting on the reading choices of other. Honest and helpful insight is not uncommon here, but is not abundant.
>>
>>9517803
I was actually recommended Stoner by someone else. I've read Slaughterhouse 5 and I actually did try to give Lolita a shot, but it felt way too dense. I'll definitely give it another shot when I'm a better reader.

And i know people will shit on what I read. I mean, it's 4chan after all. I'm just trying to get a feel for possible reading options and about the board culture. Thanks though.
>>
>>9517818
Stoner is a great book. He's a real person.

Augustus is similar. But it's told in letters.
>>
>>9517826
I've only read letters once and it was Liaisons Dangereuses. Loved that book man.
I'll add that one to my list then. Cheers.
>>
>>9517794
Read the stranger and then come back here complaining how shitty it was and that you hate /lit/ for recommending it to you. We never have enough of those threads.
>>
>>9517803
Good choices. OP, if you liked Storm of Stee, try Journey to the End of the Night for a different take on things. Other fairly short works that have stirred my appetite as a begginer were Hunger, Heart of Darkness, The Stranger, The Trial. Make sure to check out some short story collections too. Chekhov and his disciple Carver are good, as is Hemingway. Then give Flaubert's Three Stories a try.
>>
>>9517818
I've been reading awhile and on top of that have been visiting /lit/ for nearly a year and before going to lit i've tried to read Lolita several times. I did recently finish Pale Fire by Nabokov which I think is alright. I'll try to tackle Lolita later so don't feel too bad about it. Try to revisit it or other books you've had troubles with when you feel your ready/
>>
>>9517838
Then get thoroughly memed into starting with the Greeks and make sure to come back here to ask why was Achilles being such a pussy.
>>
>>9517862
I tried reading the Trial when I was in High School and I thought Kafka was what made you smart.

It was too hard for me back then.

I'll pick it back up. Thanks
>>
>>9517867
Go on, give it a go and you'll see it's not hard at all. Why, if you're like me, you'll even chuckle and cackle a fair bit. The prose reads like some sort of meticulous report, but you'll be amazed at yourself by the multitude of different, even contradictory, perspectives it makes you think in. It really got my soggy noggin' joggin'.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.