[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which are some older examples of the "bad life conditions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: Judgment4.jpg (191KB, 609x978px) Image search: [Google]
Judgment4.jpg
191KB, 609x978px
Which are some older examples of the "bad life conditions breed evil people" paradigm in literature? I want to know where that Nigga Motto proginated, not to discuss it's accuracy.
>>
Joe Christmas in 'light in august' by faulkner
>>
>>9514086
I was looking for something older
>>
>>9513655
Story of Kullervo in the Kalevala?
>O, ye many unborn nations,
>Never evil nurse your children,
>Never give them out to strangers,
>Never trust them to the foolish!
>If the child is not well nurtured,
>Is not rocked and led uprightly,
>Though he grow to years of manhood,
>Bear a strong and shapely body,
>He will never know discretion,
>Never eat the bread of honor,
>Never drink the cup of wisdom.
>>
>>9513655
Plato says the trouble with evil people is not that they're purposefully evil (because that would be an absurdity, since everyone thinks they're doing good --- leave Nietzsche/Stirner aside for the moment), but that they were never taught how to be good or don't know what is good for them.
>>
>>9514191
You are naive to your own detriment if you really believe that all people see themselves as forces of good (as opposed to evil). Read the writings of the Columbine shooters. Those kids enacted violence because it would bring about destruction. Their actions were purely punitive, they did not view themselves as restorative agents of some kind of neglected virtue. Evil people often recognise the nature of their deeds and are driven by this awareness. Plato was reductive.
>>
File: hobbes.jpg (223KB, 1000x632px) Image search: [Google]
hobbes.jpg
223KB, 1000x632px
>>9513655
The lack of an authority such as the Leviathan creates conditions in which men become voilent and evil (cfr. Lord of the flies)
>>
File: Carl_Panzram.jpg (48KB, 370x449px) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Panzram.jpg
48KB, 370x449px
>>9514241
What drives the lust for destruction?
>>
>>9514241
So your argument against Plato is two edgy 15 year olds.
>>
>>9514282
>plato says everyone thinks they're doing good
>in reality not everyone thinks they're doing good

MUH UNFALSIFIABLE HERO
>>
When I talk about a "Nigga Motto" I'm about the "grew up with no dad and mommy was broke so I started hustling and gangbangin u digg?" kind of argument.
There's a lot of people who justify evilness with a difficult past and shit. This shit has an obviously christian base: fetishism of the miserable, camel going through the eye of a needle and shit. But I wanted to know some literary roots for the most usual form of it, the laic one (it doesn't forgive sinfulness, just justifies it while still pitying the miserable; christianism puts the weight on the sin, not in its causes tho).
>>
File: Lázaro.jpg (18KB, 279x439px) Image search: [Google]
Lázaro.jpg
18KB, 279x439px
Naturalism is all about how "CIENTIFICALLY" authors could "prove" that bad life conditions would create wrong doers by putting their characters in bad life settings. Try reading some Zola.
But if you want really old examples then Lazarillo de Tormes.
>>
>>9514254
You got Hobbes right but I don't think he is the answer. Hobbes argues that men are naturally 'evil' and that the state corrects that. It's not far from the notion of 'original sin' etc.

The answer I think OP is looking for is Rousseau, who argued that men are actually naturally 'good' and it is society that corrupts them. The basic idea is expressed in his tracts like pic related, and his novels (Emile etc.).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.