[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Write a nightmarish scifi short-story last year >Begin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: pkd.jpg (199KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
pkd.jpg
199KB, 800x800px
>Write a nightmarish scifi short-story last year
>Begin to check out Philip K. Dick books cause his themes sound cool, and resonate with my thoughts
>Write a small scene of a play
>Read a PKD story, and it has shocking similarities
>Start reading my second PKD book, realize it has even MORE similarities to the short story I wrote a year ago

I'm not sure I'm me.
>>
>>9513234
>I'm not sure I'm me

Funny. PKD wasn't sure he was himself, either.
>>
>>9513234
Everything has been written before. I accidentally wrote Huckleberry Finn word for word in Middle School and got kicked out for plagiarism.
>>
>>9513262
This is like getting fired from work "for no god damn reason at all."
>>
>>9513262
Heh
>>
>>9513234
>Implying it's not just the plasmoid activating

Calm down, you'll be back in 5...4...3...2...1...
>>
>>9513294
This post is dithering for me, and probably me only.
>>
>>9513234
OP, you're PKD-ish as fuck.
>>
>>9513234
It seems to me that not only are you you, you're also a hack who is probably only capable of churning out Twilight Zone-tier TWEEST stories. PKD shit out a lot of garbage but occasional managed to pull off something meaningful. Maybe you can too.
>>
>>9513745
Hmm, I'm very hopeful. Thank you.
>>
>>9513234
PKD did sort of tap into a zeitgeist, one that's permeated popular culture, or that pop culture and our modern mindsets have already been permeated by.

This is why when i first read PKD's books I got the sense that I'd already read them or even lived them. In fact, a lot of people have said that PKD's books, in a strange but recognizable way, are just what modern reality is like. PKD even complained of burnt-out acid-freaks accusing him of somehow creating the modern world, with all its bizarrity and strangeness, with his works.
>>
>>9514489
I definitely think that the similarities come from PKD's influence. As I read, and the more I find out about him, it's kind of impossible to not see aspects of his thoughts in all kinds of scifi and future-fiction.
>>
>>9514516
Yeah, true. But even when he was writing, people pointed this out.

For instance (if I'm remembering it aright), he worked on Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said such that he thought it was very futuristic when he wrote it; or maybe it was A Scanner Darkly.

anyway, he wanted to edit it more, and ultimately waited a few years before publishing it even though he had the main stuff in it already.

However, apparently he and a friend/critic of his both agreed that the futurism had become outdated by then. Reality had already pretty much become like the book.
>>
>>9514596
Interesting. I haven't read Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said yet but it's on top of my priorities because of its very cool name. I'll remember to consider this when I do read it.
>>
File: jung.jpg (30KB, 195x225px) Image search: [Google]
jung.jpg
30KB, 195x225px
>>9513234
"people don't have ideas, ideas have people"
>>
>>9514601
I think it's A Scanner Darkly actually, lmao.

I actually like Flow My Tears much better though and think it's one of his very tip-top best.

>>9514603
PKD was very influenced by Jung.
>>
File: ziz.jpg (40KB, 586x372px) Image search: [Google]
ziz.jpg
40KB, 586x372px
>>9514603
they didnt happen to him. he happened.
>>
>>9513262
Like that one kid who wrote that one Balzac story and got in trouble
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.