[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the literary equivalent of an acid bad trip?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: closet_acid_trip[1].jpg (114KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
closet_acid_trip[1].jpg
114KB, 1152x864px
what's the literary equivalent of an acid bad trip?
>inb4 naked lunch
>>
>>9512462
illuminatus
>>
the
>>
>>9512462
Naked lunch. The atrocity exhibition. Travesty by John hawkes. Vurt by Jeff noon. Journey to the end of night.
>>
>>9512473
>Travesty by John Hawkes
Uh, maybe The Beetle Leg or The Lime Twig... certainly not Travesty
>>
>>9512480
Bud I dunno about you but I've had a bad trip before and definitely felt like being driven in a speeding car to my death
>>
>>9512495
Travesty was the worst book I ever read
>>
>>9512495
Being in a fucked situation
mounting anxiety
Thinking your fucked
Realizing this is real and you are fucked
Accepting you are fucked
Riding it out while your fucked

That's travesty
>>
>>9512499
. I liked it. What didn't you like?
>>
peter pan

it's about a little boy who never grew up
>>
>>9512495
>>9512503
you're taking that book way too seriously

and so is he
>>9512499
>>
>>9512555
How do I take it less seriously. Elaborate? Please I'm interested on what someone else thinks.
>>
>>9512562
I think it's ironic. Hawkes lets the aesthetic he's trying to construct take over so completely, and lets himself become so carried away with his own idiosycracies that the novel becomes ridiculous. He's satiring the way readers think about the author & the unreliable narrator by exaggerating that whole dynamic

I know it's ludicrous to say that everything that seems bad about a novel is actually just ironic, but I would say almost the exact same thing about Charivari, The Owl, and Goose on the Grave, except those three didn't seem like there was anything ironic about them and that's why they sucked. I get a very strong impression from Travestry that Hawkes knows exactly what he's doing but i'm not that smart desu.
>>
Only time i had a "bad" acid trip (kek, it was last christmas) it was really cathartic. I prefer a bad trip to an hedonistic hallucination. And i prefer a good bonding trip over those two
>>
itt: people who have not read the books they are recommending nor done the drug they are comparing them to.
>>
>>9512943
Well Island by Huxley does more or less present mushroom properly.
>>
You can't even really express normal tripping feelings in words to a drug-naive reader.
>>
EEEEE EEE EEE that one by tao lin

Also Something thats inspired by alfred jerry.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.