[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk a bit about 'Notes from Underground'?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: hm.jpg (21KB, 362x362px) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
21KB, 362x362px
Can we talk a bit about 'Notes from Underground'?

Was Dostoevsky the late 1800's 4chan shitposter? The 'underground man' is the archetypal /lit/ user.
>>
The underground man is Dostoyevsky's response to another writer (I forgot his name) who wrote a story about a sort of utopia where everyone acts according to mathematics and logic. He agued that this society could not exist because of people like the underground man, who purposefully act illogically out of spite and social stupidity. I think that hits certain users here pretty spot on.
>>
>>9512376

My reading of the Underground Man is that he is floating around in a wilderness of Bureaucracy and pointless days, but his conscience is aware that the state of his society is characterized by common immorality.

He recognizes the need for a saint but he refuses to try and become one himself, despite occasional bursts of saintly intention (the prostitute) coupled with occasional bursts of evil intention (the prostitute).

He hates himself for failing to dissolve the contradictions in his soul and decides he is petty and loathsome. It's easier. It lets life carry on like it did yesterday.
>>
>Le Underground Man is literally /r9k/ and /lit/ XD!
>>
the underground man is just a russian person, which is obvious if you are russian.
>>
>>9512854
well put, anon
>>
File: Books plebs dont understand.jpg (252KB, 1080x556px) Image search: [Google]
Books plebs dont understand.jpg
252KB, 1080x556px
>>9512341
>>
>>9512341
Dostoyevsky was more like the detached guy who wrote about /r9k/ because he thought they were giant faggots.
>>
On the surface that appears to be the case. He's the archetypical guy caught in neutral, frustrated with the world etc etc.

But what we must understand about the Underground Man is that he was engaged in a sort of pathological protest against utilitarian philosophy. That's why he purposefully goes out of his way to humiliate himself and experience awkward and unpleasant sensations. He wants to prove that people are more than automatons programmed to seek pleasure and avoid pain. he's the hero we need.
>>
>>9513306
Is this the beginner's meme trilogy? I would replace Dorian Grey with Catcher or Gatsby out Heart of Darkness, maybe.
>>
>>9513331
good post
>>
>>9512966
>Le 'put le and xD with everything i dislike' xD
>>
>>9513340
Most people don't butcher Gatsby or Heart of Darkness though. This trilogy is a pleb filter because they are three short, easy books that a lot of people completely misunderstand.
>>
>>9513378
How do people misunderstand the stranger? Seems pretty straight forward to me.
>>
>>9513440
I see you haven't been here long.
>>
>>9513306
I'd swap Dorian Gray for The Trial or Catcher in the Rye.
Way more frequently misunderstood.
>>
>>9513440
People misunderstand it in the way they frequently misunderstand existentialism.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.