[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone actually enjoy this book? I know its a "classic"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2012.jpg (146KB, 300x449px)
IMG_2012.jpg
146KB, 300x449px
Does anyone actually enjoy this book? I know its a "classic" and has "literary merit" and whatever, but has anyone here actually enjoyed the story or given a shit about any of the characters?
>inb4 only plebs read for plot or characters.
I get it you're so enlightened and better than me despite being a NEET
>>
read This Side of Paradise. it's like fitzgerald doing Animal House
>>
I actually enjoyed it and could connect with Tom Buchanan, being a redpilled male myself.
>>
>>9507008
>yfw you realize Tom was just a "confirmed bachelor" in the Levitical sense.
>yfw you have no face.
>>
The characters are interesting enough. When they make you read The Great Gatsby in high school they tell you to focus on the characters, and that's fine, but it's really more about American cultural myth and the fracturing of that culture after the end of the 19th century. It's a book that gives you a lot to work with, you could easily write hundreds of essays on it. Fitzgerald isn't the most sophisticated author, so people get fooled, especially when they're forced to read Gatsby as children and don't have the oppurtunity to appreciate all its subtleties. If you want, I could give you my notes on it from uni.

Just wondering, did you make this thread right after reading this post: >>9506843
>>
Carraway was afflicted by the homosex.
>>
>>9507008
>redpilled male
>being cucked by Gatsby

Pick one.
>>
>>9507064
Gatsby was the cuck. He devoted his life to impressing a woman. Tom realized women are inferior and cheated on his wife. He also hated immigrants.
>>
>>9506951
Yeah, I've read it probably more times than I've read any other novel. It's fantastic.
>>
>>9507045
Is it still relatable to a contemporary or non-american reader? I'm a Taco so most of the "american dream cynicism" I know comes from television and movies. We're kind of obsessed with religion and/or colonialism butthurt over here, so the whole capitalism/multiculturalism thing doesn't seem as ubiquitous.
>>
>>9506951
I'm not a dedicated reader (but I'm working on it). But I started rereading this book this past week because I remember there being some good parts from high school. The first chapter was amazing, I had no trouble paying attention to it, and all the characters felt real. And I really related to the main character.

So, I think it's pretty good, but I'm a normie when it comes to literature.
>>
>>9506951
I enjoyed the premise but the prose was incredibly tedious and esoteric at times. Gatsby is the most interesting character and the other important characters are foils IMO.
>>
>>9507136
I'm actually Canadian, so I'd say non-Americans can relate just fine. You should have some kind of basic knowledge of American literature and history though, especially to do with the early colonists and the frontier.
If you're really interested, you could try skimming Turner's Frontier Thesis and Wintrop's Model of Christian Charity, and that might be enough. IMO It's worth it.
>>
>>9506951
The storyline is legit retarded
>>
>>9507106
>Tom's wife literally slept with Gatsby behind Tom's back.
>Gatsby's the cuck

wew
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.