[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not trying to be a complete asshole, but how could people contend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Robert_Brandom.jpg (508KB, 1227x2146px) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Brandom.jpg
508KB, 1227x2146px
Not trying to be a complete asshole, but how could people contend that continental theory could even be compared to the work that analytics philosophers have done in the later half of the 20th century?
>>
>>9506133
What "work" is that? Underestimating the brutality of the Khmer Rouge?
>>
>>9506133
>things analytic philosophy has done
>literally just laying out formal basis for maths
>>
what the fuck is with this wave of neo-pragmatist "i'm a continental but i only take the GOOD stuff from the continentals ;)" hacks

it was already tried by that ballsucker rorty and it failed then too

just admit anglo philosophy is garbage and start over
>>
>>9506192
what?
>>
>>9506133
analytic philosophy has done nothing of value since Quine
>>
>>9506133
>to the work that analytics philosophers have done in the later half of the 20th century?

lol
>>
File: art brut japonais.jpg (562KB, 1117x1319px) Image search: [Google]
art brut japonais.jpg
562KB, 1117x1319px
>>9506133

>the work that analytics philosophers have done in the later half of the 20th century?

You mean the language games and unstated assumptions? In my experience, while analytic philosophy is often touted for its clarity, it often (deliberately) talks around the most important points. Perhaps this is due to widespread materialism, over-epistemologization, and/or belief that metaphysics ended a long time ago...

>Continental theory

Maybe it was a "slip" on your part, but the problem is precisely that so-called continental philosophy has been relegated to THEORY. The only way it can fit into the anglo-american philosophical world is if it maintains a position of subjectivist aloofness, not questioning the sacred assumptions guarded by analytic philosophers, who mostly try to tweak these assumptions without changing or replacing them in any meaningful way.

"Continental theory" is by nature castrated. Nobody except speculative realists are coming up with new ideas, and as far as I can tell, they're the culmination of the subjectivist solipsism that passes itself off as continental philosophy.

The work of Hegel, Fichte, Bergson, Bradley, Husserl, and even Deleuze (only his solo work, mind you) could have been revolutionary, but analytics either dismiss it or use it to support their own shortsighted views, while continentals have added nothing to it, instead preferring to write endless commentary that does nothing but obscure the original message.
>>
Heard Brandom took all the "weird" stuff out of Hegel.

That was enough to preclude any interest I could have developed in him.
>>
>>9507038
Read Charles Taylor's book instead, great fun
>>
>>9506574
>belief that metaphysics ended a long time ago.

Kripke is still the most cited dude in the game. I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>9507053

Does Kripke make an absolute distinction between metaphysics and epistemology?

Does he think that metaphysics is the product of "abstraction"?

Does he think that logic is necessarily formal and/or symbolic?

Is he a materialist or physicalist?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.