[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could someone please explain the Apollonian and Dionysian dichotomy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: apollodionysusduality.jpg (56KB, 492x408px) Image search: [Google]
apollodionysusduality.jpg
56KB, 492x408px
Could someone please explain the Apollonian and Dionysian dichotomy?

Is it kind of like Batman vs. Joker?
>>
Nigger you need to read the greeks
>>
>>9504088
actually he needs to read nietzsche since that was some shit he dreamed up in his german interpretation of greek culture
>>
>>9504082
Apollonian is ORDNUNG while Dionysian is Creation. Batman vs Joker is somehow fitting.
>>
>>9504082
Conscious v. Unconscious.
Concentration v. Letting go.
>>
>>9504082
its just some shit nietzsche made up
>>
>>9504090
Basically this, the way Nietzsche sees Apollo and Dionysius make no sense. Check 'The Frogs' by Aristophanes and 'Eumenides' by Aeschylus for how the greeks actually saw them.
>>
>>9504082
rational vs emotional
analytics vs continentals
>>
>>9505699
>treat satyrical texts as a religious basis

There is no reason to believe that the actual, serious followers of these Gods did not take them as seriously as Nietzsche did. His interpretation may be off the mark, but his approach isn't.
>>
>>9504090
>>9505699

http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/SatyrosMarsyas.html

"Marsyas was also connected with the flute-playing Tityroi satyrs in the train of the god Dionysos."

"The fable evidently refers to the struggle between the citharoedic and auloedic styles of music, of which the former was connected with the worship of Apollo among the Dorians, and the latter with the orgiastic rites of Cybele in Phrygia. ...and other writers connect him with Dionysus. "
>>
No sex before marriage vs it's ok to do anal before marriage (well not really just Muslims are funny. It's more like just have a wine orgy before marriage).
>>
Yes. In fact, some academics have started to use the terms Batmanian and Jokerian in the recent years. I expect that to become the norm within a decade.

>tfw captcha is asking me to click on the squares with vehicles but I click on the squares with street signs
Fuck you Google, I hope your AI cars crash and burn
>>
>>9507055
Dear Miss Lonelyhearts,
How long will it take for these useful terms to bleed even further into Political Partydom?
Whatever. I know for a fact that I'm Batmanian because he's the good guy, right? Also-
What do you think of 1984? Is it a good book? Thanks beforehand. Love ya,
Wondering..
>>
>>9504082
This is from memory, I've read Nietzsche a few years ago, so forgive any mistakes

Nietzsche came up with it in The Birth of Tragedy and then continued the idea in his later works with references to them. It was just an interesting dichotomy that, in my opinion, has nothing or very little to do with the historical-mythological Apollo and Dionysus as they were seen by the Greeks, but is a brilliant archetype with a wider meaning and application than just those 2 figures, but Nietzsche thought he could apply it to them.

"Apollo" as Nietzsche views him is rational, sober, calm, conscious, reflective, contemplative, introverted, an individual and set off from the world.

"Dionysus" is irrational, hyperemotional, sensual/orgiastic, joyful, destructive (but also paradoxically ultimately more creative after the destruction), drunken or intoxicated, extroverted, and loses himself in the moment or in the outside world.

Mythologically, Apollo was the god of archers, music, and the sun, and Dionysus the god of wine, intoxication, and madness.

Of course, this probably isn't really the historical Dionysus and Apollo as the Greeks saw them, but a psychological dichotomy that has great application.

Jung liked the Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy and likened it to Introvert/Extrovert, which IMO is kind of simplifying it but whatever. He used Apollonian and Dionysian in his works IIRC, and of course Jung influenced a lot of other literary critics and psychologists, so the Apollonian/Dionysian split gradually became triter and triter and part of literary-psychoanalytical babble, far removed from its very unique and cynical origins -- i.e., from Nietzsche. Camille Paglia particularly likes it.

Nietzsche initially viewed the Apollonian as necessary for the great Greek plays, because the playwright had to be contemplative and removed from his own emotions/the emotions of the masses to soberly portray great Dionysian happenings and chaos. In the beginning of his writings, he thought they necessarily balanced each other, and it was the Socratic view (of mild, bland irony and over-reliance on reason, even more calm and deadening than the Apollonian) he disliked.

As he wrote more and more, however, he came to glorify the Dionysian, viewed himself as akin to Dionysus, and unofficially sort of short-shafted the importance of the Apollonian and cared about it less and less. When he went insane, he called himself many names in various letters he wrote to people, one of which significantly was Bacchus (another name for Dionysus).
>>
>>9507266
Not OP but good post, tnx
>>
File: williamblake3.jpg (70KB, 958x618px) Image search: [Google]
williamblake3.jpg
70KB, 958x618px
>>9505683
Nicked it from Blake, more like. Urizen and Los.
>>
>>9504082
No, its more like Batman vs. the Condiment King
>>
will vs representation. read schopenhauer
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.