[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /lit/ got lucky and was accepted to Stanford. convince me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 897654678.jpg (582KB, 1412x1075px) Image search: [Google]
897654678.jpg
582KB, 1412x1075px
sup /lit/

got lucky and was accepted to Stanford. convince me not to major in English.

shit at math or id do CS; although, I feel in 5 years it'll be the new MEME degree.
>>
You don't need to be good at math to do CS. You'll make more money with a degree in CS than a degree in English.
>>
>>9503966
>in 5 years
Oh boy do I have news for you
>>
>>9503981
i mean, CS majors will become the new blue-collar workforce (if not already lol).

>>9503979
calc 1-3 are requirements. your last statement is empty.
>>
Only do English if you plan on

1) working as a journalist/writer

2) going to law school

If you can get into Stanford you can do CS, or other STEM.
>>
>>9504001
it happened a few years ago.

Your best bet is to use the credentials from the school to aim at a Law gig. Do an english degree that leans toward pre-law, do some reading about different legal specialties and how to get there.
>>
>>9504001
The problem is fags came into CS treating it like a fucking trade. CS math can be very elegant but most students don't want to learn it. They want to learn whichever meme library or framework which is popular at the time (not knowing it's the concepts that are important).

Advice: if you want to do STEM, take a major where you have an interest then take a few CS courses (or learn independently) for the fundamentals of CS.

It's a general problem though. University has become job training instead of a place of knowledge.
>>
>>9504001
Honestly a bachelor's degree in English without law school or a master's degree is useless. I've heard of people getting odd jobs with just a bachelor's degree in English, but that's not something you can count on.
>>
>>9504025
How can you expect it to be otherwise? By making education something that is for everyone, not just the rich and elite, it's inevitable that it will become more utilitarian. Not everyone is going to be interested in the mathematical concepts behind CS.
>>
>>9504026
actually, id be getting a coterminal MA as an English major.
>>
If you do English, do what others said and set up a plan to get into Law after you get your degree.
But it is going to be shitty and it scared me away from doing law school
>>
>>9504141
Not OP, but what was shitty about it?
>>
>>9503966
> Not Mathematics
>>
>>9504026
this. same goes with journalism degrees.
>>
>>9504026

A degree from Stanford is going to get OP's foot in the door regardless of what the degree is in, though. If OP wants to major in English, he should. He will just need to be able to sell himself a bit more when it comes time to get a career than he otherwise might with a more 'practical' degree, but one would hope his actual learning in English would help with that.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.