[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We don't talk about Gene Wolfe much these days, what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
We don't talk about Gene Wolfe much these days, what's up with that?
>>
>>9500316

I read The Book of the New Sun and it was pretty legit. I'm going to read Urth soon to piece everything together, I've heard mixed things about Long and Short.
>>
How's the wizard knight? Finished book of the new sun and absolutely loved it, but some of his other writing I'm not much into, like Soldiers of the mist
>>
>>9500351
Soldier is a pretty easy straight forward read I found
Helps if you've read Herodotus
Wizard Knight was good, about on the same level
>>
Where to start?
>>
>>9500365
In the middle, make your way to end, the beginning will take care of itself
>>
>>9500316
>Fantasy Masterworks
Disgusting. It's good that so many nice books are able to be republished thanks to their efforts but why do they have to make them so ugly?

>>9500341
Patrician method is to read The Fifth Head of Cerberus and Peace and then read Book of the New Sun again. Everything revealed in Urth can be inferred from a careful and informed reading of Book of the New Sun.

>>9500365
The Fifth Head of Cerberus
Peace
The Devil In A Forest (Optional but extremely underappreciated, you can barely see it in OP's image)
Book of the New Sun
Urth of the New Sun (If you're a fucking casual)
Free Live Free
Soldier of the Mist
Long Sun
Short Sun
Soldier of Arete
Wizard Knight

And throughout this process read his short fiction in whatever order you want as long as you're roughly moving through it chronologically, you don't need all of it. And most of these books benefit strongly from re-readings so you might want to go back at several points before you go forward. After this you can consider yourself a Wolfeman. You can read his later stuff if you want but we probably won't understand The Land Across until 2050.
>>
>>9500316
His fans started high school and don't have as much time to post.
>>
>>9500418

I really like his short stories, although he has some duds. The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories needs to be memed more often.
>>
>>9500418
Haven't had a problem with the fantasy masterworks imprint, what's wrong?
The new covers are pretty neat, all grey except for a circle of a picture in the middle
Better than the new version of the sf masterworks which makes everything yellow-green for some reason

Might as well read Mist and ArĂȘte together, and Sidon too
I remember reading an interview where he speculated on writing a forth book in which Latro would go to South America :\

I'd also recommend There Are Doors and An Evil Guest, skip Castleview

Haven't read Homefires or Sorcerers House how are they?
>>
>>9500464
That is a good short story, it was what put him on the map in the 1970s first started getting attention
>>
>>9500454
Pretty much all I remember about my last year of high school is that I spent a lot of time here Wolfeposting. What a year.

>>9500464
His short fiction is incredible. My personal favourites are 'The Death of Dr. Island', 'And When They Appear', 'Has Anybody Seen Junie Moon', 'Westwind,' 'Forleson' and his masterpiece 'From the Desk of Gilmer C. Merton.' It's all fantastic though.

My problem with Fantasy Masterworks is that I can't stand their graphic that they put on the tops of their spines. That garbage font with the stupid number bubble. Next to all of those other nice books they look cheap and tacky. SF Masterworks are better graphics-wise but choose bad cover-art and always screw up the colours for some reason.

And I think that I remember reading in an interview with Wolfe that he said 'It is a categorical fact that the Ancient Egyptians sailed to the Americas.' That might make for an interesting story. But I think that the fact he sincerely believes that is almost more interesting than anything he's written down. And I also haven't read Homefires or Sorcerers House. I sometimes talk like a Wolfe authority but next to the real experts my knowledge is pretty pathetic.
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 309x475px
>>9500484
This is what fantasy masterworks look like now, grey background with a single image imposed
Like the sf masterworks they're no longer numbered
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 308x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 308x478px
>>9500529
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 182x277px
>>9500533
>>
>>9500316
I've got those goddamn copies of Book of the New Sun, the covers are worse than Wordsworth Editions I swear.
>>
>>9500418

I heard Urth is good in its own right. Either people love it or hate it. I really don't want to read 1,000 pages of Book of the New Sun again though. I'd prefer to just move a long and come back to it later in life.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.