[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you read any of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: TheWayofKings.jpg (7KB, 284x177px)
TheWayofKings.jpg
7KB, 284x177px
Have you read any of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere series? Why not? It's fantasy, and it is the best I have read. That really isn't saying anything at all, but I am constantly blown away by how well these are written.

Who are your favorites (characters) so far, and who/what planets would you like to read more of? In the 3rd book of the Storm light archive what are some of the big details you can't wait to read about?

What are some other series that are on this same level, if not better that I could get into?
>>
Maybe I'll give this a try someday.
>>
>>9496583
It is crazy epic, so many books that connect and slowly start to paint a bigger picture. Highly suggest it
>>
>>9496562
>it is the best I have read.
In what sense? It's a sprawling continuity, sure, but you could say that for superhero comics and they're (mostly) shit. I don't see any real themes in Sanderson, other than basic "good beats evil, the end" storybook stuff that Lewis or Tolkien did better.
>>
>>9496922
I did also say
>That really isn't saying anything at all
Meaning I do not read very often. Branderson's Cosmere got me back into reading, so I bought the whole damn collection and have fallen in love.
>I don't see any real themes in Sanderson, other than basic "good beats evil, the end" storybook stuff
Umm, not really sure where to start on this. Does their have to be a different theme? I think this is what I like so much about his work, that he takes rather simple ideas and works with them to create master pieces imo. He doesn't go out of his way to make a new, edgy ending because the good guy wins has already been done a million times. He doesn't seem to care in the slightest. When I try and do writings for my college classes this is always a big issue of mine, I always want to do things better, and different, but it always ends up looking like ass. That being said, it would read like ass regardless because writing is not my forte.

I think want I really want to say is that, even knowing it is going to end well, the journey he takes us on is marvelous. For example the first Mistborn triligy are all rather long books, but they go into really deep detail about everything. The entire time he is changing what I think I knew and the ending, even though I knew it would end well was not what I was expecting at all. Was total genius. I wasn't looking forward to reading the next trilogy right away because reading the first three really took it out of me, but that's when I realized that they were smaller books. Turns out he packed the same amount of story into less pages! It is crazy fast paced and super exciting and yet somehow was able to create a couple of my favorite cosmere characters.

His world creation is really amazing, considering he made stories on like 4 different worlds, and made different magic for each of them. This thread really wasn't meant to just rant about this as much as to find other books that I could read that are down the same type of reading that I could get into. I have run out of books.
>>
Hes not an enormously gifted writer, but hes definitely a great fantasy author. he knows how to keep it exciting and fun, and he clearly cares about his universe and keeping it consistent and unique. i really enjoy the stormlight archive stuff, but its definitely not because of the quality of writing
>>
>>9497522
really? well what could you suggest for me with better writing in it that is exciting?
>>
>>9496562
I'm reading the first one and it's so bad.
>>
>>9497607
what about it exactly do you dislike?
>>
File: 1492455946562.jpg (55KB, 258x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492455946562.jpg
55KB, 258x360px
>>9496562
He hasn't read Malazan.
>>
>>9497617
I haven't read most things, that's kinda the point of this thread, to expand my horizons
>>
>>9497620
Stormlight is top tier for fantasy but Malazan is god tier.
>>
>>9497627
oh shit, ok i'll check that out next, ty
>>
His characters and dialouge are shit. World building is okay though.
>>
>>9497761
ouch that hurts to hear, but i'll start digging into other books. I tried to read Game of thrones, but their was so many characters so fast I lost track easily of what was going on... I feel like Sanderson just keeps things simple, hands it to us on a silver platter as Jay z would say. Some of his characters reminds me of people i actually know, so it has felt real to me so far.
>>
>>9496562
>and it is the best I have read

*the only
>>
>>9497864
Nah I have read a handful of other fantasy books, just this was the best.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.