[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Aldous Huxley considered a good writer? I've never been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: a_huxley.jpg (1MB, 2221x1332px) Image search: [Google]
a_huxley.jpg
1MB, 2221x1332px
Is Aldous Huxley considered a good writer?

I've never been a reader, but Jordan Petersons reading list has got me reading again. I'm almost finished with Gulag Archipelago and Brave New World.

The writing in Brave New World seems so...childish? Bad? Like a highschoolers use of language and drama?

The George Orwell books were ok. I can understand his fame.
Huxley just seems bad.
>>
>>9493111
Brave New World was an outlier and pretty much a joke project (even for himself). It has absolutely nothing to do with his other work.

"Time must have a stop" is pretty /lit/ for example.
Then there's Doors of Perception, which is completely different again.
Really diverse writer and clearly good at it, too.
>>
I didn't really care for Brave New World. I don't think Huxley is a great technically accomplished writer, having read Brave New World and The Doors of Perception.

Still, you have to understand that the appeal of Brave New World does not reside in the style, the writing style - it resides in the ideas he was trying to convey. With dystopian literature world building becomes very important and the technical aspect of writing takes a back seat.

This is because what is important, as I've said before, for those writers, is to showcase their ideas and the dystopia they have imagined. What matters is the imprint of the described world on the reader.
>>
>>9493111
Try point and counterpoint
>>
File: tOvSJhOalnNss.gif (249KB, 314x192px) Image search: [Google]
tOvSJhOalnNss.gif
249KB, 314x192px
>>9493111
>Petersons reading list has got me reading
>seems so...childish? Bad? Like a highschoolers
>>
>>9493202
This. His style is pretty cumbersome and just bad at times. Brave New World is an interesting exploration of ideas, but nothing too special. (I have only read Brave New World, so maybe his other stuff is better)
>>
>>9493111
Both are considered pleb by those of us in the biz
>>
>>9493210
I don't get the joke?

here is the list

1. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
2. 1984 – George Orwell
3. Road To Wigan Pier – George Orwell
4. Crime And Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
5. Demons – Fyodor Dostoevsky
6. Beyond Good And Evil – Friedrich Nietzsche
7. Ordinary Men – Christopher Browning
8. The Painted Bird – Jerzy Kosinski
9. The Rape of Nanking – Iris Chang
10. Gulag Archipelago (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, & Vol. 3) – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
11. Man’s Search for Meaning – Viktor Frankl
12. Modern Man in Search of A Soul – Carl Jung
13. Maps Of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief – Jordan B. Peterson
14. A History of Religious Ideas (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3) – Mircea Eliade
15. Affective Neuroscience – Jaak Panksepp
>>
File: 64f70027cbc5b064cef10e11927713bf.jpg (604KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
64f70027cbc5b064cef10e11927713bf.jpg
604KB, 1024x768px
>>9493212
the biz?
>>
>>9493226
I'm not him but I'll explain:
Peterson's list is not /lit/, it's supposed to enable you to understand and discuss very specific issues (which also go against the prefered narrative on /lit/). It's not a list of "great books". It's more like a reading list for a university class.

50% of the posts on /lit/ is shitting on dystopian novels because "idea literature" is inherently less "patrician". People even hate on Dostoyevski for the same reason here.
>>
>>9493226
It's just a list, it means nothing. It doesn't even seem to have a coherent theme. Read what you want.
>>
>>9493111
>Jordan Petersons
I do not understand this man. Why is he liked?
>>
>>9493240
you have to be incredibly stupid to not see the appeal

sorry
>>
>>9493235
is there a board for just books?

I forgot how faggoty fiction books are
>>
>>9493238
Not sure where he got it from, the full list is much longer and split up into categories like Jungian psychology, neuroscience, etc.

>>9493240
tl;dr he stood up for free speech, addresses a lot of important issues, has good life advice, comes across as very genuine and caring
>>
Clinical Psychology and Personality
Sigmund Freud: The Interpretation of Dreams
Carl Jung: Modern Man in Search of a Soul
Carl Jung: Answer to Job
Carl Jung: Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious
Carl Jung: Aion
Carl Jung: Psychology: East and West
Carl Rogers: A Way of Being
Carl Rogers: On Becoming a Person
Jean Piaget: Play, Dreams and Imitation in Childhood
Jean Piaget: The Moral Judgment of the Child
Henri Ellenberger: The Discovery of the Unconscious
Erich Neumann: The Origins and History of Consciousness
Erich Neumann: The Great Mother
Ernest Becker: The Denial of Death
May, R., Angel, E., & Ellenberger, H: Existence: A new dimension in psychiatry and psychology
General
Derek J. de Solla Price: Little Science, Big Science
Hans Eysenck: Genius
Hernando De Soto: The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else
John Gall: Systemantics: How Systems Work and Especially How They Fail
Theodore Dalrymple: Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass
Religion and Religious History
Huston Smith (introductory): The World’s Religions
A History of Religious Ideas (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3) – Mircea Eliade
Jeffrey Burton Russell: Mephistopheles: The Devil in the Modern World
The Bible: Designed to be Read as Living Literature
Bernard Lewis: The Crisis of Islam
My Books
Jordan B. Peterson: Maps of Meaning
Neuroscience
Jeffrey Gray and Neil McNaughton: The Neuropsychology of Anxiety
Jaak Panksepp: Affective Neuroscience
Joseph LeDoux: The Emotional Brain
Larry Swanson: Brain Architecture: Understanding the Basic Plan
JJ Gibson: An Ecological Approach to Visual Perception
Elkhonon Goldberg: The New Executive Brain
Literature/Philosophy
Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Devils
Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Idiot
Nikos Kazantzakis: The Fratricides
Nikos Kazantzakis: Zorba the Greek
Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita
Solzhenitsyn: The First Circle
Solzhenitsyn: Cancer Ward
Friedrich Nietzsche: The Antichrist
Friedrich Nietzsche: The Gay Science
Northrop Frye: The Great Code
Northrop Frye: Words with Power
Robert Pirsig: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Biography
Henri Troyat: Tolstoy
History
Edvard Radzinsky: Stalin: The First In-depth Biography Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia’s Secret Archives
Theodore M. Porter: The Rise of Statistical Thinking 1820-1900
William L. Shirer: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
>>
>>9493235
>it's supposed to enable you to understand and discuss very specific issues
No it isn't. It's supposed to make his pseud fans feel smart since they read half the shit on the list in high school, then sell copies of Peterson's books. Peterson has to know that anyone who's a fan of him doesn't have the patience to read something like Gulag Archipelago. At best they'll look it up on wikipedia and cite in the comments section of I Took a Gender Studies Course So You Don't Have To
>>
>>9493256
do you feel smart?
>>
File: 140867253081hy.jpg (7KB, 259x189px) Image search: [Google]
140867253081hy.jpg
7KB, 259x189px
>>9493255
>>
>>9493256
I'd tell you to actually listen to him so that you can see how the shortcomings you hate about yourself make you resentful enough to divide the world up in idiotic enemies and you, the genius, but I know your frail ego will never allow you to seek the fault with yourself.

If you really think the man isn't interested in helping or educating people and it's all a scam to make money, you have some serious issues.
>>
>>9493260
t. xPetersonxFan02x
>>
>>9493275
lmao Peterson fans are fucking cancer. I have listened to him, and he does have some interesting things to say. That doesn't mean he isn't a pandering hack with obnoxious, pseudo-intellectual fans
>>
>>9493281
He's a hack insofar as you can call all Jungians hacks, that's a matter of opinion.
Calling him pandering when decades of research on those things didn't lead to any attempts at having a target audience until he stood up against a bad law and the target audience found HIM, is simply dumb.

And the rest is a matter of opinion again. Personally, I find his "opponents" in real life downright horrifying and his "opponents" on /lit/ to be among the most obnoxious and pseudo-intellectual posters, so we won't agree there.
>>
>>9493111
Huxley's best work is arguably his least well-known: "Grey Eminence", a biography of a French priest who became the power behind the power behind the throne (Richelieu). Fascinating study on the relationship between religion and power in Europe. And bloody well-written at that/
[it's up on archive.org for those who are interested]
>>
>>9493202
This. I have read BNW and Island and I can say the same for both books. He has good ideas but poor writting. Perhaps the other books I have from him will change my mind but so far he remains, to me, a mediocre writer with good ideas.

Has anyone read chrome yellow or after a many summers? How are they?
>>
>>9493294
I thought about what I said while I was in the shower. He's not a hack, but he is willing to pander to idiots, which I look down on. I don't like his fans because they don't care about what Peterson seems to care about the most. When he was interviewed by Sam Harris and Dave Rubin for example, they couldn't understand what he was talking about, and almost talk down to him. His fans are largely interested in his work that is immediately political and clearly useful for BTFOING KEKS when that's clearly not Peterson's goal. Peterson likes education while his fans like being right, and by putting goofy trigger warnings on his website, Peterson has shown that he's willing to pander to an anti-intellectual crowd. You have to keep in mind that his target audience isn't people like you who care about all aspects of his work, it's anti-sjws. I think he wants his target audience to care about his work, but they most likely never will.
>>
>>9493337
See, with that I can agree 100%. Part of me would like if he stopped giving interviews now because he's clearly in over his head and he already said everything there is to say, talking about it to youtube idiots like Sargon will only water down his messages. The other part of me hopes that it will still lead some viewers to the light and that they'll investigate deeper than just SJWS BTFO.

But now that you've changed your tone, you'll maybe notice a lot of his opponents on here using the same tone and feeling smug about stupid right-wingers. And Peterson trying to stop that kind of shit is probably his biggest merit and more important than another Disney movie analysis.
>>
>>9493385
You're right. Sorry for being rude for no reason, anon.
>>
>>9493394
Stop being a pussy and grow a pair, you cockmunching negro faggot.
>>
>>9493394
No problem, getting an apology out of any /lit/ user is enough of a miracle.
>>
>>9493337
Do you really think that the anti-sjws are worse than the people interrupting his speeches with blowhorns and chanting that he's a fascist?
>>
>>9493111

Aldous Huxley was a pedophile
>>
>>9493226

The 'joke' is that you're criticising a very respected and critically well regarded author as being childish, whilst you admit to only reading because a guy from a YouTube video told you to.
>>
His essays are much better.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.