[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a single book that contains "the Greeks" that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 0.jpg (15KB, 286x347px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
15KB, 286x347px
Is there a single book that contains "the Greeks" that can be consumed without previous reading?
>>
>>9489661
The New Testament
>>
>>9489661

Memoirs of Hadrian.

One of the best books I have ever read.
>>
>>9489677
fpbp
>>9489661
the republic, The Iliad. Most people in highschool read the Iliad with no previous "tha Greeks" knowledge, but a teacher generally guides the discussions and explains the cosmology, context, & "history", so you should do that much yourself. You could probably tackle the Republic this way too.
>>
>>9489869
If I read TNT and then the Republic, will I understand them both, presuming I have read nothing that are relevant to them? I have read over my lifetime quite a few books, but most are not related to the Greeks or the two books mentioned, for whatever reason. I suppose I initially did not think of reading something of that nature and when I did I avoided doing so for whatever reason.
>>
>>9490125
No.
And "understand" is the wrong word anyway, it's not like a math problem. If you read them without annotations or without the proper knowledge, you'll understand the words but miss out on most of the meaning and lessons.

There's no shortcut to it really.
>>
>>9490125
You should probably read the Iliad, and maybe the Odyssey, before you read the Republic. You really don't need anything more beyond those two. The Presocratics are a meme and irrelevant beyond the ways in which Plato and Socrates differ from them. Western thought as an unbroken systemic thing begins with Plato.
>>
>>9490136
So there is no single book that contains "the Greeks" that can be consumed without previous reading.

>>9490138
Can I jump straight in to the Iliad?
>>
my high density greek starter pack: pseudo-apollodorus' library for greek legends and plutarch's moralia for historical trivia and vulgarized remnants of philosophy
>>
>>9490155
Yes, there's pretty much nothing before the Iliad in Western culture. Maybe Hesiod, but even his stuff is really only contemporary with Homer, not prior.
>>
File: IMG_0805.jpg (47KB, 329x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0805.jpg
47KB, 329x499px
>>
>>9489850
How advanced is the French? I'm a beginner now, haven't read anything in French yet.
>>
>>9489661
(pic related) The Texts of Early Greek Philosophy: The Complete Fragments and Selected Testimonies of the Major Presocratics

there are two volumes both can be found @ http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

free. you might have to click around some to find them both good luck have fun
>>
>>9490475

I read it in Portuguese.Still greateven translated.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.