[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there such a thing as the common good? Any political theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg (2MB, 1700x2275px) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg
2MB, 1700x2275px
Is there such a thing as the common good?

Any political theory critical of individualism and the rule of particular interest seems to presuppose some sort of "common good" which individual interests are to be subordinated under. Be it Aristotle's koinei sympheron, Aquinas' bonum commune, Rousseau's volonté générale, fascism's national interest, communism's class interest or similar constructs.

Now to me all these things sound like abstractions without any actual content. What is in the common interest is largely arbitrary and mostly enforced by some form of authority, be it the government, the church, political leaders, etc. This again means the rule of particular interest.

Could someone point me to some literature which attempts to solve this problem or just share their thoughts? Have I just read too much Stirner?
>>
>>9488285
Do unto other that which you would have done unto you. You would get more out of studying psychology if you actually gave two shits about this topic. It is absolutely pointless to try to infer what the common good is from various authors on what their intuition was.

also, go to reddit underageb&. Your kind aren't welcome here.
>>
>>9488295
>You would get more out of studying psychology if you actually gave two shits about this topic

Could you elaborate?

>go to reddit underageb&. Your kind aren't welcome here.

What on earth prompted this reaction? Did I trigger you by calling common good a spook?
>>
>>9488285
>Is there such a thing as the common good?

The common good is the best situation for everybody. People differ in their beliefs of what this is and how it can be achieved.
>>
>>9488285
it is in everyone's interest that, for example, the earth is capable of supporting life. similar reasoning is often also used on a smaller scale.
>>
>>9488321
But doesn't exactly this make the idea of a common good a fiction?

>>9488328
The earth being able to support life right now is just the current state of things. Taking the measures to ensure that the earth will be able to support life in the future isn't in the interest of everyone (i.e. businesses having to cut down on pollution, thus having higher costs, making less profit).

But even then, someone like Rousseau would distinguish the interest of everybody from the general interest. What each and every one thinks is in their interest might actually not be. The same goes for the good of the polis, the nation or the class, respectively.

The way I see it, the core of what makes up the idea of a "common good" is the purported insufficiency of individual deliberation to correctly achieve the welfare of all.
>>
File: 1469180116130.png (577KB, 911x484px) Image search: [Google]
1469180116130.png
577KB, 911x484px
>trying to get at the common good through muh autistic logic and reason instead of through interpersonal communication
Start with the cultural Marxists
>>
>>9488602
It's hard enough to define an objective "good" in the first place so I don't know what you were hoping for?

Do you believe anything that can't be concretely defined doesn't exist?
>>
>>9488613
Anyone in particular? I have rudimentary knowledge of Adorno and Habermas.
>>
>>9488613
>>9488640
Also I'm not trying to get at what common good is but whether such a thing exists in the first place.
>>
>>9488602
you talk a load of nonsense utterly beside the point as if I have not just made one. I don't know if I should berate you or just leave the thread.

why did you make this if you have no interest in the topic?
>>
>>9488285
>seems to presuppose

>>posts a picture of aristotle
>>>whole post is petitio principii
>>
>>9488295
>>9488661
>you don't really care lol

What the fuck are you on about nigga?
>>
The "common good" is a subjective concept. It usually pertains to what is the greatest results for all people in society
>>
>>9488671
can you read?
>>
What's good for me is to be able to sit on my arse while everyone works for me for my entire life. How do i do that...
>>
>>9488681
Can you actually contribute instead of making snarky comments?
>>
>>9488680
That's exactly my point. Doesn't that mean any attempt at having a society ruled according to the common good is just the rule of a particular individual's idea of the common good aka not common good.
>>
>>9488699
We reason with definitions. The common good, I would think, is easily understandable as the thing which preserves and perpetuates life while maintaining happiness for as many people as possible. The means of achieving that are where the difficulty arises. The laissez faire exists precisely so people are free to decide their own good, an equally flawed system because people are retarded and end as suited sociopaths and scoundrel libertines.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.