[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In what ways is a massive book of philosophy like this beautiful?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: DieWeltalsWilleundVorstellung.jpg (491KB, 696x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DieWeltalsWilleundVorstellung.jpg
491KB, 696x1024px
In what ways is a massive book of philosophy like this beautiful? I've heard that Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard, and especially Nietzsche are all amazing once their ideas connect, but my limited experience means that I'm very far from this goal, so I'd like to hear your experiences.
>>
Nietzsche is pretty nice, try TSZ first. then id move on to Albert Camus

then maybe Heidegger if you want.
>>
>>9488485
Worst advice possible

OP start with the greeks
>>
>>9488276
heraclitus
parmenides
that book about the pre socratics
plato
aristotle
the bible
plotinus
augustine
avicenna
anselm
averroes
maimonides
aquinas
machiavelli
bacon
hobbes
descartes
spinoza
locke
leibniz
berkeley
voltaire
hume
rousseau
kant
hegel
schopenhauer
emerson
stirner
darwin
kierkegaard
marx
spencer
james
thoreau
nietzsche
frege
freud
saussure
dewey
husserl
whitehead
santayana
russell
jung
buber
heidegger
wittgenstein
carnap
hayek
fromm
gadamer
lacan
heisenberg
popper
adorno
sartre
arendt
goodman
godel
quine
beauvoir
merleau-ponty
levi-strauss
camus
barthes
danto
deleuze
foucault
chomsky
pirsig
baudrillard
derrida
bergmann
bourdieu
rorty
searle
kripke
dennett
singer
zizek
>>
File: 1386760260983.jpg (32KB, 250x250px)
1386760260983.jpg
32KB, 250x250px
>>9488485
>try TSZ first
>>
File: IMG_1367.png (94KB, 500x522px)
IMG_1367.png
94KB, 500x522px
>>9488685
Im new to philosophy and TSZ is the first ive read. Am i doing something wrong?
>>
Schopenhauer is great. He is the first philosopher that fucked my shit up. I would recommend him highly. I know he has some stuff on Kant, and Hegel (which is hilarious) in Vol 1. So if you have a lot of free time read Critique of Pure Reason first; otherwise, just jump in and use Wikipedia/whatever when you get lost and you'll be fine.
>>
>>9490391
Could you please tell me what you ´got´ from TSZ? Especially seeing you´re new to philosophy.
>>
>>9488647
this
>>
File: IMG_0018.jpg (81KB, 578x800px)
IMG_0018.jpg
81KB, 578x800px
>>9488276

If you don't thoroughly understand transcendental idealism, I think you'll miss out on a lot of Schopenhauer's beauty. One of the things I found so enrapturing about Schopenhauer's philosophy is the feeling it gave me of looking upon the universe from a timeless perspective - imagining cycles of growth and decay, birth and predation, insight and obliviousness, without beginning or end - combined with sobering reflections upon death and a dignified rejection of the universe's flawedness.

The full story is more complicated than that, of course - Schopenhauer's account isn't totally dignified, since I think he exaggerates and complains more often than is called for, and his philosophical system probably isn't perfectly consistent - but these are the complexities and intricacies that you can't understand without actually reading all of the details, and following his advice regarding what writings to prepare with. Despite the imperfections, it's very gratifying to see a complex system of concepts coalesce within your mind, understanding how one notion links up with many other notions, like the cells and tissues of a living organism, all operating cooperatively - which is also an aspect of Kant's philosophy that I found so impressive and entertaining.

But Schopenhauer is also capable of glowing rhetorical beauty, as I tried to celebrate once in a thread - without much help: https://warosu.org/lit/thread/8627576
>>
>>9490416
Im not finished yet, but i really love the book. Im reading the Norwegian translation so perhaps its easier too understand.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.