[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ I don't come here often at all but in the past 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: book-club-recomendations[1].jpg (95KB, 584x358px) Image search: [Google]
book-club-recomendations[1].jpg
95KB, 584x358px
/lit/

I don't come here often at all but in the past 2 years I've started reading more than I ever have, tabbing all the books I've read to see how much I've read.

But my retention is absolute garbage, my main interest is history but I find myself forgetting most of what a book talks about except the main theme or argument of the author. So when I want to bring it up in conversation I can't remember the details of their arguments.

I guess my comprehension is shit too, did you guys experience this at all? Still do? Any advice?
>>
Take notes, summarize, and reread. All that good stuff.
>>
>>9487131
I just started this with my most recent book, I was mostly curious if that was too much work.

I felt that I should be comprehending things better. I guess it's all still learning.

Do you do this for novels? What do you do if you are reading on the train/bus? I often have the most time during commutes.
>>
>>9487151
>I just started this with my most recent book, I was mostly curious if that was too much work.

It depends on what you're reading. I don't do it for novels, only informational texts. It doesn't have to be particularly long notes, just find whatever works for you.

>I felt that I should be comprehending things better. I guess it's all still learning.

Read slow and don't be afraid to reread complex sentences. Practice makes perfect.

>What do you do if you are reading on the train/bus?

I don't typically read during these, but you can pass on notes sometimes. Try and summarize what you read late. If you can't, reread.
>>
>>9487194
>I don't typically read during these, but you can pass on notes sometimes.
Might reserve for novels then if I have one. I don't particular like to read two things at once but it's better than not remembering what I read.

>Read slow and don't be afraid to reread complex sentences. Practice makes perfect.
Thanks, I was afraid I might be reading outside my ability.
>>
>>9487078
Assuming you have some friends (you don't), a good strategy is to try to explain to your friend what you just read and what the author's main argument was and why you agree or disagree. If it's history, try to teach the events to them, naming the major players, what their goals were, etc. If you don't have friends (you don't), use this same strategy but as a blog or review of the book, which you can either keep to yourself or share with your one follower online (probably your mother)
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.