[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about A Brave New World's light version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: player piano.jpg (17KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
player piano.jpg
17KB, 311x475px
Let's talk about A Brave New World's light version tbqh.

Any economists on? Are we heading to this, added universal income or some other gay stuff?
>>
>>9486804
>Asks to talk about the book. Starts with politics.

I like the religious parade part. Maybe ten years since I read this book. So maybe the guy with the crazy hat is made up.

Remind me about it?
>>
>>9486815
>Starts with politics.
No, I'm talking about actual economic research. Bell Journal, Journal of Finance, Journal of Accounting & econ, etc. You can take the politics and shove it up your ass, homie.
>>
>>9486804
It's Vonnegut's best novel after Cat's Cradle.
>>
>>9486804
And, yeah, UI is a safety plan dreamed up by compassionate conservatives to keep people satiated when automation runs the show. Most seers fear that war will cause too much damage, so they're afraid of the potential libidinal/technological release that humans have been forever determined to do.
>>
File: check em.jpg (9KB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
check em.jpg
9KB, 300x170px
>IQ determines how high up in the society you'll be
>>
>>9486826
It's not a good economic plan that will stay forever. It's just a emergency relief like unemployment insurance. But people need to believe that it'll last forever when they start losing jobs by the millions.
>>
>>9486868
I'm not talking about the optimal, rather than the vision painted by Vonnegut. The central idea is automation and artificial intelligence, most important forces in industry in player piano, aye? The following division in two (social classes) with one lacking any stimulation. It's like Stoner, but on a society's level.
>>
>>9486890
Fuck, I can't remember that book. I just remember Ford over and over again, and I remember reading about the Ford assembly line. I think this is the book that made me read Tolstoy's Confessions as if he were talking about robots.
>>
>>9486804
>Any economists on? Are we heading to this, added universal income or some other gay stuff?
Not in the slightest or at least we won't have it for very long, UBI isn't sustainable at all. Don't take my word about it, just look at what happened when New York city offered to pay $6,000 towards every in city student's college: Every college raised tuition by precisely $6,000.

Likewise, automation (to the degree of the book) is only sustainable in certain circumstances. There's a reason there's no cobblers in America yet plenty in urban Italy. Take away these circumstances (Which are largely government made) and automation (and to a degree, outsourcing) suddenly go away.
>>
>>9486862
I mean, this is what the intellectually elite have always dreamed of

Generation after generation, just dreaming about subjugating Stacy and Chad
>>
>>9486834
It's by far his most trite. His best book is Breakfast of Champions anyways
>>
>>9486804
I read this over the winter. I really liked it. Yes, it's still quite applicable, although the economic reasons for the problem are a little different different (outsourcing and automation, not just automation).

I think universal basic income would probably be terrible and would demoralize everyone. Or at least most people.

But I could be wrong. Our society ought to be able to support all sorts of workers, craftsmen and service providers of various skill levels. But it probably won't because employers would have to actually increase wages to keep up with inflation, etc, etc.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.