[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>all mathematical propositions are synthetic a priori kek

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

>all mathematical propositions are synthetic a priori
kek
why do people take this guy seriously?
>>
Because it's true.
>>
>>9486610
then post an analytic a priori math proposition
>>
You really gotta stop doing this.
>>
>>9486619
any proposition within non-euclidean geometry
>>
Observation is creation, we exist in a simulation, reality is persistant not objective, the universe expands at the rate of thought.
>>
>>9486634
incorrect
>>
>>9486619
Division is analytic.
>>
>>9486619
1=1
>>
Is there any analytic a priori truth anyways? (actually interested)
>>
>>9490196
A = A
A bachelor is an unmarried male.
Squares have four right angles.
Triangles have angles summing to 180 degrees.
Blue is a color.
Etc.
>>
>>9490219

Gödel and non-Euclid would like a word
>>
>>9490219
But don't you need an empirical concept of A to say A=A? Isn't it as synthetic a priori as a number?
>>
>>9490259
>>9490270
definition of analytic that he is using:
>>9490219
>>
>>9488756
not a mathematical proposition
>>
ITT: people who have not read Wittgenstein or Kripke. Fucking plebs.
>>
>>9486610
nietzsche BTFOs him hard, it's great

i like to imagine nietzsche picking him up by the collar and slapping him in the fucking face
>>
File: goawayfreog.jpg (53KB, 540x533px) Image search: [Google]
goawayfreog.jpg
53KB, 540x533px
>>9490219
>it's a CS major who took calculus ! and II thinks he understands anything about math episode
>>
>>9490219
>blue is a color
>a prior

bro... do you know what colors are?
>>
Can always count on /lit/ to elevate the level of discourse on any subject.
>>
>>9486610
I may have forgotten, but isn't all of math explicitly analytic?
>>
>>9486610
I kant believe he is in another thread. He was out of his depth and now is out of his time. Just let the idiot die already.
>>
>>9492062
No, it's a priori in Kant's system.

Analytic propositions are statements based purely on the presentation or definition of the concept without doing any thinking about it or combining it with any other concept. The classic example is A = A, but really it's any trait that's part of the definition of the concept.
>>
>>9493071
To clarify, I mean that it is analytic a priori (3 = 3) or synthetic a priori (3 + 4 = 7).

I didn't mean to imply that a priori is the opposite of analytic; they're separate categories.
>>
>>9492062
No, a number is analytic because it contains the tatuologic identity of teh number, just as A=A, 1=1. however in the operation 1+2=3, the product of the two analytical premises, being 1 and 2, produces a new number not included in any of the first quantities. Thus mathematic operations are synthetic a priori.
>>
>>9490219
>Squares have four right angles.
>Triangles have angles summing to 180 degrees.
Those are not even a priori.
>>
>>9493518
Yes, they are. They're synthetic a priori.

You can identify the volume of a cube whose sides are 17.17 meters, can't you? Have you ever seen one?
>>
File: 1482890896318.jpg (817KB, 2100x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1482890896318.jpg
817KB, 2100x3000px
is the cuteness of herslag synthetic a priori ?
>>
>>9493539
A posteriori if you know what I mean ;-)
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.