[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books/essays on Time? Conceptions of Time, etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1485266394287.jpg (33KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1485266394287.jpg
33KB, 500x332px
What are some books/essays on Time? Conceptions of Time, etc. Bonus points for stuff that will leave me spooked or mindfucked.
>>
Read Kant, Bergson and Heidegger.
>>
Augustine writes about time towards the end of the Confessions.
>>
Borges
>>
File: 51TXKBN0ZPL.jpg (41KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51TXKBN0ZPL.jpg
41KB, 333x500px
P D Ouspensky:

Tertium Organum: The Third Canon of Thought

A New Model of the Universe
>>
>>9485934
What specific works?
>>
>>9485341
Ignore people mentioning Heidegger, he started Being and Time and gave up halfway into Being (this isn't even a joke)
>>
anthony giddens
>>
>>9485341
Ugh, I know I'll get made fun of, but if for some reason you haven't already read it, try "Einstiens Dreams"
>>
>>9485341
Whatever you do, don't read fucking continentals on time. Analytic philosophy of time will present you with some of the spooky implications present in metaphysical views on time.

Time and Realism: Metaphysical and Antimetaphysical Perspectives - Dolev
Objective Becoming - Skow
The Moving Spotlight: An Essay on Time and Ontology - Cameron
Four Dimensionalism: An ontology of persistence and time - Sider
Space, Time, and Spacetime - Sklar
Philosophical Papers: Volume II - Lewis
Real Time 1 and 2 - Mellor
Structure of Time - Newton Smith
A Future for Presentism - Bourne
Around the Tree: Semantic and Metaphysical Issues Concerning Branching and the Open Future - Correia and Iacona
Concepts of Simultaneity - Jammer

there's more but I couldn't possibly list it all. Try these
>>
>>9486126
This is a great, thank you for your effort. I will definitely check these out, but I'm curious why I should avoid the continentals. I ask because I was looking forward to finally reading Heidegger and was also planning on writing my senior thesis on the topic. Would you say there's any overlap between analytical philosophy and continental philosophy here? I'd be interested in exploring Time in a rigorous and systematic way but am also interested in mysticism.
>>
File: Einsteins-Dreams1.jpg (394KB, 1524x2355px) Image search: [Google]
Einsteins-Dreams1.jpg
394KB, 1524x2355px
Time and Western Man (Wyndham Lewis), or pic related
>>
>>9485341
At first I thought that was a pic of a satellite overlooking the earth
>>
>>9486152
I was just joshing you. Continentals are good too, but the temporal issues they explore have more to do with phenomenology, subjective experience of time, and the role of time in framing human life. These are interesting issues and the answers they come up with are insightful, but they aren't really focused on specific metaphysical issues the ontological status of time raises, nor are they really in conversation with some of the developments made in the natural sciences, which is why you don't see much discussion of the philosophy of the special sciences (particularly physics) in continental philosophy.

In short, both continental and analytic avenues regarding the philosophy of time are both fruitful and extremely interesting. Husserl, Merleau-Ponty and Heidegger in particular have some interesting thoughts on temporality coming from a continental perspective. Augustine is useful for framing the context of this as well.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.