[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>start with the Greeks >not start with the Bible Seriously,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2034.png (123KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2034.png
123KB, 785x757px
>start with the Greeks
>not start with the Bible
Seriously, what the fuck are you doing? Reading and understanding the Bible and being able to spot allusions and understand synthesis of its concepts is infinitely more useful than being able to do the same with the Greeks.
>>
File: st-paul.jpg (39KB, 338x468px) Image search: [Google]
st-paul.jpg
39KB, 338x468px
>>9484305
>he thinks he can understand the Bible without reading the Greeks
>>
>>9484305
The Bible was written in Greek, you fool. That's why you start with the Greeks.
>>
>>9484372
the old testament is written in hebrew and it predates the greeks, faggot
>>
>>9484382
Yeah but thats mostly just backstory, like the Star Wars Expanded Universe
>>
>>9484372
This.
>>9484382
Kys
>>
>>9484305
Firstly you should not be reading because it is "useful", certainly not because it is useful for understanding other works. If that is all you want, read those works' respective companion guides.

But I understand that part of the point of "start with the Greeks" is because it can be difficult to start anywhere else, and seeing as the Greeks are as OTHERWISE worthwhile as any other grouping of works, you may as well start with 'em.

The Bible is not like the rest of the Western Canon. Except for the NT, it is not drawn from anything you may feasibly need to read (yes, it has origins in Mesopotamian myth, but you do not need to know them). Further, it does not have any influence on the Western Canon until waaaaay after the Greeks have also had a tonne of influence. It is sort-of in its own capsule.

So you could start with the Bible, yes. At least for the OT. But you could equally start with the Greeks, then move to the Bible.

I guess you should really start with whichever you wanted to.
>>
> not starting with cave paintings
Or at the very least with the egyptians
>>
>>9484305
start with the classic 19th
/20th century novels & short stories

Read the greeks and the bible

Read philosophy

Read poetry

You win!
>>
>>9484456
There is no winning. It's not like a desert road which eventually leads to an oasis banquet. It's more like a forest pathway with low-hanging fruits which slap you on the face as soon as you start walking.
>>
File: images (15).jpg (33KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images (15).jpg
33KB, 470x313px
>not starting with stone age Pictish carvings.

Get on my level plebs.
>>
If you really want to be autistic, do
>Old Testament
>Greeks
>New Testament
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.