[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>half of the threads are about philosophy >on the literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1487899335615.png (482KB, 883x905px) Image search: [Google]
1487899335615.png
482KB, 883x905px
>half of the threads are about philosophy
>on the literature board

awesome
>>
>>9481538
I don't know why the history boards needs to be shitted up with it as well. You guys can keep it since this place would be slower than /3/
>>
>>9481538
The correct answer is who cares.

The average person playing this game would probably go again if it was lower than .5. You wouldn't have a calculator and formula sheets with you, and even if you did, it doesn't matter because the problem has no relation to reality anyway.

tl;dr just cut the knot with a sword

t. Alexander the Great
>>
Who in the heck are you quoting OP?
>>
>>9481538
>>
Let x be the cutoff point for switching to a new number, and let E(x) be the expected value of the final number for cutoff x. E(x) = (probability of switching) * (expected value of switching) + (probability of not switching) * (expected value of not switching)
A number chosen uniformly from [0,1] would have expected value 1/2, so this is the expected value if we decide to switch numbers. In the case that we don't switch, our number is randomly chosen from [x,1], so the expected value would be (1 + x) / 2.
Thus, we can say:
E(x) = x/2 + (1 - x)(1 + x)/2
We can find the maximum of E by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for x, yielding x = 0.5 for a maximum expected value of 0.625.
We're not done yet, though: If I know my opponent can achieve an expected value of 0.625, then I have to switch if my first number is less than that. That brings our cutoff, x, to 0.625. We plug x back into E to find the new expected value, which yields 0.617. Now we have to switch if the first number is less than x = 0.617. Iterating this process, we quickly converge to 0.61803..., which actually turns out to be 1/phi.
So our final answer is 0.61803..., which is remarkably close to your estimate of 0.6.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.