[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like The Stranger? It's edgy bullshit designed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: L’Étranger_(Camus_novel).jpg (13KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
L’Étranger_(Camus_novel).jpg
13KB, 309x475px
Why do people like The Stranger? It's edgy bullshit designed for people who hate everything.

More importantly it goes against his views in The Myth of Sisyphus. In The Stranger the message is more "Life is pointless, so I stopped giving a fuck" whereas in Sisyphus it's rather "I know life is pointless, but why should I give a fuck about that?"

Would like to have a better understanding of why it has such appeal
>>
>>9479967
You already answered your own question.
>>
>>9479967
>edgy

The end is life affirming. Only after his destructive and nihilistic choices have alienated other human beings and annihilated life does he realize he values what he is to lose.
>>
>>9479967
Are you retarded? Meursault isn't that self-aware to say "hur dur life is pointless." He's just indifferent. So, you're in error, friendo, though you're thinking you're actually providing an acceptable summary of its philosophical basis.
>>
>>9479967
How is 10th grade treating you?
>>
>Life is absurd?

That's it?

What is his solution to dealing with this idea? All I got from The Stranger was DUDE YOLO LIFE IS MEANINGLESS. At least Neetchoo gave us something with depth.
>>
>>9479967
You're misunderstanding the text

Also the stranger is supposed to be read first to get an understanding of the later work. It's mostly recommended to teenagers because the questions it asks are the same that any edgy teen ask. Why try? Etc
>>
Making a thread about The Stranger should become a bannable offense.
>>
>>9479973
just reread the last paragraph, it must have gone over my head first time I read it. you're right, and since it's life affirming it underlines the points made in Sisyphus.

Only thing is though is that this goes against the majority of the book. It's a huge turn for him to realize that he was happy doing what he was doing in the first place as opposed to being apathetic. In Sisyphus the same views are laid out throughout the entire work

Thanks man, this is the answer I was looking for
>>
>>9480029
I've been filtering entry level stuff. You can only discuss catch 22 so many times
>>
>>9480036
Catch-22 is literally never discussed on here. I'm on this board half the day and I have never seen it on here.
>>
>>9480031
>Only thing is though is that this goes against the majority of the book

I would imagine ones thoughts at the end of life, especially considering Mersault's circumstances, would be markedly different, perhaps approaching anagnorisis. Pic related
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.