[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was at Goodwill, found Don Quixote for $ 0.99. What should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Tumblr_LBunish_DonQuixote2.jpg (419KB, 576x784px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr_LBunish_DonQuixote2.jpg
419KB, 576x784px
Was at Goodwill, found Don Quixote for $ 0.99.

What should I expect?

Seriously, I don't know what it's even about. I just know it's in the canon of classic literature and it's about a knight or something maybe.
>>
>>9479045
just go into it in ignorance. please.
>>
Translation might be an issue if you're reading in English. There are several, and a bunch are stilted and difficult to read because they're from the 19th century or early 20th.

The most recent one is Edith Grossman and it's generally considered good, because it's extremely readable and preserves the colloquial and easy-going style of Cervantes. If you're reading along in something that seems dry, arid, stuffy, or just plain difficult to read without fading in and out, you might consider getting the Grossman as a full-price paperback instead.

>What should I expect?
It's an easy and very fun book to read and the first half especially will breeze by, especially if you're using the Grossman translation. It won't make you want to kill yourself. It's also one of the most important books in the history of literature for a variety of reasons, so it's a good one to read. It's kind of like reading Faust, Hamlet, or Homer.
>>
>>9479064
This made me excited to read it. Thanks.

Although I just checked. The translation is by John Rutherford. Know anything about that one?
>>
>>9479071
It's a really great book. If you just give it a shot for 50-100 pages you'll see how easy it is to get lost in it.

Rutherford should be A-OK because it's a recent one too.

Apparently a bunch of translations all came out at the same time in the last few decades. As long as you can read it enjoyably, I wouldn't be too worried. Like I said, the Grossman translation is probably preferred these days, but not by much, and it's by no means perfect either. I've read reviews by Quixote scholars calling it "good for a general audience but not good for scholars." The two are probably indistinguishable aside from personal preference.
>>
>>9479101
I prefer Menard's myself, but like you said, for a general audience it's indistinguishable.
>>
>>9479071
All the meme happenings- the tilting with the windmills, the blanketing of sancho panza occur early, and one could argue that there is a kind of repetitiveness in the first part. But don't let this dissuade you from tackling part 2, which is sheer brilliance.
>>
File: 1491772270107.jpg (28KB, 498x475px) Image search: [Google]
1491772270107.jpg
28KB, 498x475px
>>9479108
You fucking memester.
>>
Funny coincidence I just bought a gorgeous copy of Don Quixote from the 60's I believe? It even has its own sleeve. I'll have to see what translation it is
>>
>>9479101
Great to hear. I'm starting it on my lunch break today. Should be a good read. Thanks.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.