[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there such a thing as a violent or aggressive writing style?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1487953183525.jpg (44KB, 496x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487953183525.jpg
44KB, 496x600px
Is there such a thing as a violent or aggressive writing style? I feel like prose is really good at creating a sort of lush, lyrical or dreamlike aesthetic, or a kind of sparse, precise mathematical aesthetic, (and of course countless other things) but I have yet to experience a sort of violent writing style. This, of course, is unrelated to the subject matter of the prose itself. Music, on the other hand, is great at creating this sort of raw, more primal aesthetic. Take Iannis Xenakis' work, for example, or, to get memey for a second, Death Grips. You guys got any examples of violent, aggressive prose?
>>
>>9475754
Kant sounds pretty pissed of in his Prolegomena.
>>
>>9475754
There is but you would be non-stop cringing at it, just how you'd cringe at musical lyrics if you took the background noise away for a moment.

Imagine the difference between being at a Death Grips concert and growling tough lyrics in mass of energized people, then imagine reciting the same stuff calmly at a Christmas dinner and having everyone analyse it.

A book takes away the cringeprotectors. Try reading Elliot's manifesto or SJWs on Facebook to see how that style sounds in real life.
>>
>>9475754
Form can be violent and aggressive more so than content because content is contextual and demands more of intellect than does form. An edgy poem written on a scrap of paper handed to a friend is not going to have the same effect as a well orchestrated propaganda campaign where the content is plastered everywhere.

I like to imagine poems like bombs, bursting through wires onto a billion screens, some content bouncing around like an old Microsoft screen saver. That'd be aggressive prose. Style is worthless.
>>
Notes From the Underground has this.
>>
I've only read the Girl With The Curious Hair collection by DFW but I find his style intensely violent. So much detail, speed and rhythm. Concerning the Munch painting you might be interested in a friend of his named August Strindberg who's writing can get really intense, paranoid and dense. Try The Inferno if you haven't heard of him, really short but frighteningly vivid auto biographical stuff about his obsession with alchemy/chemistry and his absolutely unhinged paranoia.
>>
I've only read him in translation, and I've heard that the original French is far superior, but Celine's prose practically jumps off the page in violent energy. I'd suggest checking out Journey to the End of the Night or Death on Credit but here's the opening of Guignol's Band:

Boom! Zoom! ...It's the big smashup! ...The whole street caving in at the water front! ...It's Orleans crumbling and thunder in the Grand Cafe! A table sails by and splits the air! ...Marble bird! ...spins round, shatters a window to splinters! ...A houseful of furniture rocks, spirts from the casements, scatters in a rain of fire! ...The proud bridge, twelve arches, staggers, topples smack into the mud. The slime of the river splatters! ...mashes, splashes on the mob yelling chocking overflowing on the parapet! ...It's pretty bad...

Our jalopy balks, shivers, squeezed diagonally on the sidewalk between three trucks, drifts, hiccups, it's dead! Fagged engine! Been warning us since Colombes that she can't hold out! with a hundred asthmatic wheezes ...She was born for normal service ...not for a hell-hunt! ...The whole mob fuming at our heels because we're not moving. ...That we're a lousy calamity! ...That's an idea! ...The two hundred eighteen thousand trucks, tanks, and handcarts massed and melted in the horror, straddling one another to get by first, ass over heels, the bridge crumbling, are tangled up, ripping each other, squashing wildly ...Only a bicycle gets away and without the handle bar...

Things are bad! ...The world's collapsing! ...
>>
Don Winslow maybe

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/12548735-savages-savages-2
>>
>>9476057
this is pretty terrible
>>
>>9476057
It's never BOOM! ZOOM! mom's made pancakes BOOM! ZOOM! we have a new golden retriever
>>
HERmione by HD
A lot of the futurists and vorticists have this so anything 1914-1933 or so has some shadow of it.
>>
>>9476423
have to admit I had a giggle.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.