[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into Japanese Theatre, that Kabuki and Noh shit. Recommend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: kabuki_forweb.sflb.ashx.jpg (616KB, 2370x2544px) Image search: [Google]
kabuki_forweb.sflb.ashx.jpg
616KB, 2370x2544px
How do I into Japanese Theatre, that Kabuki and Noh shit. Recommend me some plays worth reading, or something like that, I have 0 idea of how that works. Maybe some academic work, i don't know.
>>
Learn Japanese.
>>
>>9470015
Not today
>>
>>9470031
Anything useful to say?
>>
>>9470038

For such a niche topic you're gonna have to be more patient than ten minutes.
>>
>>9470040
Sorry i'm off meds and on caffeine
>>
Zeami's plays and his book ''The Fushikaden''.
>>
>>9470013
> Recommend me some plays worth reading
I'm not really sure why you would want to read rather than watch them. What I would suggest would be finding a translation of a major kabuki or nō play and read along with the performance. There are a lot of these plays on youtube if you are looking for a place to watch them. While I really like bunraku I find that since there is only a narrator who voices everything and he puts on such a strange voice it is hard to reconcile the text and the speech.
>>
>>9470056
>hmm I'm off meds today
>what should I do?
>I know: ingest loads of caffein!
>>
>>9470015
Actually, Kabuki Japanese is so old that modern Japanese people have trouble understanding it, there are headphones with live translation for everybody.

OP: I wouldn't read plays, as these don't really tell you anything, Kabuki is more about makeup, actions, movements, music, little dances than about dialogue. Emotions are expressed via colors, not words.

I've been to a fullday Kabuki event in Fukuoka and it was amazing, even though I didn't understand a word, but that didn't matter since there were not many words anyway.

Begin Japanology from NHK has a few nice videos with basic introductions, they're on youtube. NHK also made/makes Kabuki Kool, a series where they show Kabuki plays with subtitles and explanations, I'd watch that.
>>
Mishima's early plays
>>
Why would you want to get into some medieval shit you can't even appreciate due to your vastly different temporal and cultural surroundings? It's like trying to get into Minnesang.
>>
>>9471241
Don't you shit on Walther von der Vogelweide boyo

got gebe dir hiute und iemer guot!
>>
>>9470013
>I have 0 idea of how that works
It's probably better if you SEE the Japanese traditional theatre before you read anything:

Noh (it's the latter episode of this video, so the link starts the video 28min in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0C1WXyiqCs&t=28m

Kabuki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP47NyeG4wk

Bunraku:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbCGJzL9K8
>>
>>9471244
Wolfram von Eschenbach's where it's at.
>>
>>9470445
>>9470464
>>9471223
>>9471250

Thanks guys, will look into all of that
>>
>>9470445

this the good stuff
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.