[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What language are you learning anon? How's it coming along?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 253
Thread images: 13

What language are you learning anon? How's it coming along?

Scottish Gaelic, slow.
>>
French, moderate pace.
>>
What is the best book for learning Latin? I am currently using a book titled "Getting Started With Latin" by William Linney, but it kind of sucks and is short.
>>
>>9468505
Wheelocks latin, i've heard it's pretty good.
>>
>>9468491
The language you are learning has about 100 thousand speakers. What a waste of time.
Spanish maestra raza.
>>
Latin.

It's hard to pace myself with Oreberg. I'll get excited and read several chapters at once, but outpace my ability to internalize the grammar and vocab being introduced. So then I have to go back and reread more carefully.

I worry that I'm learning to recognize grammatical forms, but not internalizing the rules. That is, I can recognize that 'dixit' is the imperfect third person active while reading. But if I wanted to write 'he said', I might be at a loss to come up with the word.
>>
>>9468505
Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata by Orberg
>>
>>9468562
Dixit is perfect; the imperfect is dicebat.
>>
I'm on chapter 16 of wheelock's Latin
>>
>>9468491
Večinoma slovenščina, und Deutsch auch. Un poquito español, et un peu français, mais très lentement.
>>
>>9468568
Right. Keeping track of technical terms is another thing I'm not absorbing.
>>
>>9468491
old church slavonic
>>
German. It's hard.
>>
>>9468491
what books/course are you using, anon?
>>
>>9470386
http://learngaelic.scot/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radionangaidheal

Boyd Robertson, Gordon Wells Speak Gaelic with Confidence with Three Audio CDs A Teach Yourself Guide Teach Yourself Language

Boyd Robertson, Iain Taylor Gaelic a Complete Course for Beginners

Speaking Our Language 3
>>
>>9470438
ok. Buntús Cainte and Progress in Irish are good (if a bit old, but classic and still in print) from the Irish pov. They may supplement/provide diversion to your studies. Never mind the other guy!
>>
latin, i took it as an elective at uni.

regretting it i guess, i'm not putting in the work. i just cram before exams and remember everything, then forget once the exam ends.

i do like puzzling out sentences for translation though, it works a different part of my brain than i usually use.
>>
Russian, I'd probably be a lot further if I put in more time, but I'd say it's coming along well. Can't read Dostoevsky yet but I'm impressed with what I can understand.
>>
>>9468657
If you're a native English speaker it's simple. I was practically fluent after only a year of study. French is much harder. I've been learning that for much longer and am nowhere near fluent. It's been over four years since I began studying it I still make all sorts of small grammatical errors.
>>
I can't choose what language I want to learn. I don't really want to learn one for a country that I haven't been to or dislike because that feels to me like it's wasteful. There's no one source of literature that I like enough to try and read originally either. I've tossed around Russian, French and Japanese and I like others like Finnish but I'm still yet to decide on one.
>>
>>9470484
Learn the one that's fun to learn. In the end no language has practical use unless you move there, the only purpose to learn one is to broaden your horizons and as a hobby.
>>
>>9470473

Do you have any tips for learning verbs? My vocabulary is generally speaking fine, I don't have any major problems with retention, but for some reason I really struggle with verbs. Any advice, other than just studying more?
>>
>>9468520
Not an entire waste of time if, and only if the language is apart of his heritage
>>
>>9468511
I'm doing that too. How are you finding it?

I think it's pretty tough going, but at the same time, it's so comprehensive that it almost makes it easy in a way.
>>
File: ZgBlm0K.jpg (47KB, 640x637px) Image search: [Google]
ZgBlm0K.jpg
47KB, 640x637px
>mfw Japanese so I can watch anime without subtitles and read literature about dissociated societal outcasts
>>
>>9470473
Same here :)
>>
Latin

Lets say it's coming together. Lets also say I have an exam in 3 weeks and I'm a bit worried.
>>
>want to learn French

Any tips for this? I wouldn't like to spend to much time studying, say like an hour a day on weekdays.
I'm a native speaker of English and Spanish btw
>>
>>9468491
Mexican Spanish, Slow as motion at 1 degree kelvin.
>>
German.

Good. Girlfriend and her family are from there and speak it with each other.
>>
File: too old.jpg (177KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
too old.jpg
177KB, 1080x1080px
Currently trying to improve my English (as British as possible).

European Spanish is my main language (my domain is superior to the usual spaniard) but Romanian is my mother tongue (although I forgot 90% of it).
>>
>>9471773
Are you trying to adopt the British accent as well? I´ve always felt rather conflicted about whether or not I ought to
>>
>>9471801
Yes. I am actually targeting for an Upper RP. Somewhere between Jacob Rees-Mogg, Stephen Fry, with a hint of Richard Burton's voice. Pretentious as fuck, I know.
>>
File: 1489339217747.jpg (15KB, 252x268px) Image search: [Google]
1489339217747.jpg
15KB, 252x268px
>>9468491
German.
It feels like a breeze compared to anything else I've done, and I'm probably going to move onto something else soon. Thinking Russian right now, but maybe some romantic language.
>>
>>9468491
Russian, been teaching myself it for the past 8 months. I can read, write, and understand it, but cannot speak worth shit. It is almost becoming passive for me because I do not have many people to speak it with.
>>
>>9471593
>>9472867
keep studying lads
>>
French. Made great progress at first considering none of my learning was conversational at all. Not many French-speaking people where I am. Then I just kind of stopped studying and fell into my same old video game-playing, masturbating self.
>>
>>9470688

Make sure you've got the basic patterns of Я + -y/ю, Tы + eшь Oн/a/и + aeт down, and it usually won't stray much from that, if it does it's for pronunciation sake (like it's easier to say живёт instead of живaeт).
For things like perfective and imperfective aspect, I think of it in terms of English present progressive and perfect (technically perfective and perfect aren't the same, but it helped me immensely in getting the aspects down). The imperf. verb жить has the same meaning as to live and is living, so Я живy в Mocквe is "I live in Moscow" and "I am living in Moscow." Я пoжил в Mocквe is "I have lived in Moscow" or Я пpoчитaл Дocтoeвcкoгo "I have read Dostoevsky" Basically, use "have verb-ed" for perfective and you'll get it.
Reflexives are pretty easy in that they're verbs that relate back to the subject in some way, either with something like "I wash myself" or in an intransitive way like "the door closed" There's a lot of other ways, but keeping that in mind should help a lot.
I also like the russian suffix list on wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Russian_suffixes), it's been really helpful in breaking down long words into something a lot more understandable.

If you need a good book on Russian grammar, A Comprehensive Russian Grammar by T. Wade is about as comprehensive as you can get (Sometimes a little too comprehensive).
Hope this helped ;^)
>>
>>9468491

I've been learning German for 6 years and I still can't read Spengler and can only understand about ~40% or less of the average dialogue (like talk show level).
>>
>>9474993

It doesn't help that Germans are complete assholes about their language.
>>
>>9470438
'Speaking our language' is probably the best television programme for learning Scottish gaelic. I'm a native speaker and my family still watches the repeats because of how interesting they find the sketches and how it moves to a different place every week.
>>
Czech. Moderately slow, but I'm learning by immersion so I try to pick up something new every day
>>
German

It's not going great
>>
I tried learning spanish for a long time, but finally gave up. I know some, am am far from fluent.
>>
Portuguese. As a native Spanish speaker, it's been somewhat of a breeze to learn as most of the vocabulary is shared with the odd exception of a couple of words. Been learning for little over 10 months and am pretty much fluent though still have some difficulties every now and then.
>>
German

It's fine I guess i'm visibly improving with every session
>>
>>9468587
Il est intéressant que t'as choisi d'apprendre la langue slovène. Est-ce que t'as une grande curiosité de la littérature slovène ou as-tu l'intention d'y aller pour habiter?
>>
>>9471829
Honestly, keep your foreign accent. If you adopt an accent that has any connotation of any class, people will instantly dislike you for it. People may dislike you for your foreign accent, too, but at least you won't have spent ages trying to sound like that for nothing.
>>
>>9468505
>>9468563
This is what i used it's pretty fucking great.
>>
>>9468491
russki
real slow
>>
french, duolingo i am at 44% fluency, when i will able to read baudellaire?
>>
>>9468491
I think we should make a language wiki and some learning groups since learning languages is a recurring topic
>>
Japanese. I should apply myself more.
>>
>>9468491
French, went from not being able to say a single sentence about 9 months ago to reading Camus. Still have a long way to go though
>>
>>9477095
Absolutely up for this
>>
>>9468491
I started learning Gaelic, pay homage to my heritage etc. However I then found out I was pictish (a people whose language is lost to the ages).
Scottish Gaelic is about as Scottish as cricket, so if you're learning as I did for the significance to our history I'd miss it and learn something useful.
Russian gives you access to alot of good reading.
Also german and french.
Or go full autist and learn ancient greek then latin. Those are the foundation to most language and you start to notice their influence everywhere.
French is aesthetic as fuck, spanish if you have alot of contact with spaniards but for no other reason Im my opinion.
>>
>>9471773
As you mentioned you wish to improve on your English I will take the liberty in offering you some advice.
>(my domain is superior to the usual spaniard)
This doesn't read well, I gleam from it as I think you intend; that your command of spanish is better than that of an average spaniard, however it's clumsy English and a bad choice of words.
Spanish is a domain and you can be superior in it, however your domain cannot be superior unless you're using the word as a descriptor to the breadth of your knowledge of spanish words.
t. Native British English speaker
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
>>9468491
Currently listening to Michel Thomas French cds.

I feel I'm taking French lesson from Zizek.
>>
>>9477110
want to learn french. how did you do it? are you conversational?
>>
>>9477066
100% duolingo flueny won't bring any close to reading poetry. Maybe children's book or books that use a very basic vocabulary.

Poetry probably the hardest thing to read in a foreign language. I would stay away from it for now.
>>
>>9476879
I already thought of this. I am a bit of a snob, the weird and educated guy no matter where I go. I use fountain pen, just imagine...
>>
>>9477210
I get weekly lessons from a French girl who is studying near me and in my own time I used Duolingo and Memrise to practise grammar and vocabulary. Although lately I've kind of gone past their use.

Having a tutor is great for me even just to have someone there to be checking up on my progress.
Since whenever I learned languages on my own I tended to find it hard to stay motivated over long periods and end up dropping them. On a good day I'm fairly conversational although my listening comprehension still has a long way to go, I definately read a hell of a lot better than I hear.
>>
Japanese and okay, sadly not enough time to properly study vocables and Kanji so I forget many while reading.
Might start relearning Russian next semester, depending on how busy my masters will be.
>>
>>9477205
I humbly accept your advice. I will commit sudoku silently, in order to restore my lost honor.
>>
>>9477228
is she cute?
>>
File: 1480840384175.jpg (182KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480840384175.jpg
182KB, 1440x1080px
>>9477249
Yes
>>
>>9468491
I'm taking Spanish in school, and I'm becoming fluent in it. I don't exactly like it though.

Planning on taking up Arabic this summer when I don't have to spend time balancing work and school.
>>
Chinese
Italian
Ancient Greek

Figuring I should just focus on one but I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid to do that because I'll forget what I've learned for the others. Looks like I'll just tough it out. I know Spanish so Italian is a breeze. Greek is harder than Chinese
>>
>>9468491
anyone know of any good language guides for french or german? I need to know what books to get.
>>
>>9477405
I like the Living Language series best myself
>>
Japanese and Mandarin.
All right.
>>
>>9477132
(OP) here. if you're pictish why not learn Common Brittonic?
>>
>>9477483
Because the relation between them is speculative, and I don't want to learn something that may be completely irrelevant to me.
You Gaelic?
>>
French, and I attend classes so moderate pace i guess.

>>9471215
Also this but motivating myself to actually learn stuff is quite difficult. I've already finished learning the kana, but I can't get myself to continue forward. It's like I'm stuck.

I'm also a native spanish speaker, so this year I'm sitting for the CAE exam.
>>
>>9468491
Why is Hebrew so hard to learn?
t. native German speaker
>>
>>9468491
Speaking of Scottish, what is some good Scottish literature?
>>
>>9477095
Thats on int
>>
>>9477577

norman davies short stories

if a time to keep doesnt fuck you up you arent human
>>
>>9476896
Salve amice! Quomodo te habes? Quid novi tecum?
>>
>>9477692
Nihil novus mecum est...
>>
>>9477704
Nil novi sub sole :^)
>>
>>9477692
Litteras scribo. Multis agendis sunt.
>>
>>9477709
Solus semper sum :(
>>
>>9477522
afaik the picts eventually integrated into gaelic culture and language, so it might not be an entire waste of time

then again the gaels have pretty much integrated into english culture and language

I'm a native Scot myself and my grandfather came from Jura, but I don't see much reason in dedicating my time to learning a dying tongue. We've lost the battle already. The English won.
>>
>>9477722
its quite a shame
>>
someone learn italian with me.

Be my little spaghetti noodle and I'll be your spicy meatball
>>
>>9468491
Arabic, bretty good
>>
>>9477577
https://archive.org/details/deanoflismoresbo00macluoft
>>
>>9477736
Recognise you from /eire/
>>
>>9477740
^^
>>
>>9477752
>>9477740
Boipucci is leaking lads
>>
Any Russian learners or Russians here? How hard is Chekhov in Russian?
>>
>>9468491
Russian and a bit of german
>>
Im already fluent in italian. Though i still need to sharpen it up a little (When to use ne or ci as articles, or conjugations).

I picked up an abridged "Bhagavad-gītā as it is" on a second hand bookstore; and have been learning the devanagari alphabet since. (Fuck combined consonants). One of you anons shared a pdf. of Max Müller's Handbooks for the study of sanskrit; though i've been thinking of leaving sanskrit for later and pick up another romance
>>
>>9468491
scottish gaelic is meme tier. you got spooked by romanticism and burns
>>
>>9468491
>learning a dying language
should just learn gothic, at least that's more impressive
>>
>>9477835
stirnerfags are the worst
>>
Ich habe seit 9 Monaten Deutsch studiert. Es geht gut, aber ich finde die Endungen sind am schwierigsten. Sie sind sehr verwirrend. Ich muss in kurzer Sätze sprechen, aber ich kann jetzt einige Teile deutscher Bücher lessen :-)
>>
>>9479037
Lesen*
Damn autocorrect
>>
Learning french. I feel like I've plateaued. I need to figure out grammar better before I can beef up my vocab, but I don't have good resources.
>>
Farsi, it's going pretty well my brothers. Feels good that I'll eventually be able to read the GOAT poetry.
>>
>>9471829
>>9476879
Don't listen to him.

Become the aristocrat you were born to be.
>>
File: BUCDdMUIUAAxqmu.jpg (39KB, 461x640px) Image search: [Google]
BUCDdMUIUAAxqmu.jpg
39KB, 461x640px
>>9468491

maith an fear, keep the language alive!

I'm Irish, I wonder how mutually intelligible it is, it must be to some degree, it's most similar to northern Irish I'd imagine.
Where I'm from we'd say "conas atá tú" for how are you but you'd say something kind of like cad é mar atá tú?too
>>
日本語
ペラペラ
>>
>>9479044
I had this same problem with my French. I think the key is to start reading. Even if it is slow at first, reading will get you acclimated to French sentence structure and grammar as well as simultaneously building vocab and idiomatic knowledge.

Are there any particular grammatical points you are struggling with?
>>
>>9468491
where do you go to learn Gaelic?
>>
>>9479093
疑わしい
>>
>>9468491
Russian and German, lazily. I dont have many people to practice with in person so it's a little lame
>>
>>9474914
>Я пoжил в Mocквe
лyчшe бyдeт "я жил в мocквe
>>
>>9477811

I'm learning it. Checkov is fairly hard in terms of vocab, but if you're willing to lean on a dictionary he's essentially not too hard.
>>
>>9479174

я пpoчитaл дocтoeвcкoгo also sounds fairly dodgy, like he sat down and read everything the man wrote in one determined session. Technically still correct, but you're much better clarifying the objec if you're to use the perfective, something like я пpoчитaл вcё книг дocтoeвcкoгo. The perfective sounds better if you're describing some specific set of things that you have completed.
>>
test
>>
>>9468491
- English, basically fluent now, slight accent
- Spanish, hate it, given up, can speak alright though
>>
>>9477725
sei bravo?
>>
>>9468491
German, but haven't really given it a proper go. Just fucking around with Duolingo for about two weeks. Have a bit of grammer and vocab.

>>9468520
>he needs millions of people to be able to read it.

Did you hear that Lit? Fuck Latin and Greek just learn Chinese and French.
>>
Do you guys have any tips for learning mandarin?

I'm about 2 months in and I realize I just forget half of the characters. What do I even do to remember what each moon rune means
>>
>>9479326
tho я пpoчитaл дocтoeвcкoгo does not implicitly mean that he has read whole Dostoevsky in one sitting, but you're right, it would be better to specify.
for example, я пpoчитeл (пpoчeл) вce пpoизвeдeния (книги) дocтoeвcкoгo"
would've been better
or я читaл (not пpoчитaл) дocтoeвcкoгo вчepa
>>
>>9479583
I prescribe you Anki, and more reading.
>>
>>9468491
日本語

the grammar is pretty tricky i think
>>
>>9479583
>he fell for the mandarin meme
>>
>>9479174
Wouldn't пoжил imply that you lived in a place and moved away? Or is пoжил just not used that often?

>>9479587
>>9479326
You're right, it makes way more sense to specify either the book or the amount. Thanks for the advice
>>
pyccкий

>>9480963
I think you can say я тaм пoжил тoлькo тpи мecяцa or something similar

To use пoжить is kind of weird most times I think, because normally living somewhere implies a focus on the action and duration

I cannot really explain, but if you speak French it is like how you would use the word habiter
>>
>>9479583
Just forget about Hanji and stick with pinyin
>>
is there a single good reason to learn korean?
I really like the way it looks and sounds, but they don't have anything going for them except video games and shitty music, it seems.
>>
>>9480963
it's uncommon to use "я пoжил somwhere" without context, but quite alright i think.

пoжить examples:

Heдoлгo пoжилa oнa нa cвeтe.

Пoжить нa чyжoй cчeт.

Пoжил oн y мeня тaким мaнepoм нeдeль c шecть — дa oпять в Mocквy

I often encounter lack fo understanding the difference between verbs with prefix -пo and without it
try this out:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BF%D0%BE-#Russian

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Russian_words_prefixed_with_%D0%BF%D0%BE-
>>
>>9481101
Maybe you can become a court jester in Best Korea.
>>
>>9481101
>I really like the way it looks and sounds
That's a fine reason right there
>>
>>9468491
Russian, быcтpo
>>
>>9479326
Я пpoчитaл вce Книги Дocтoeвcкoгo. That would be right.
>>
>>9481136

Are you a native speaker? I ask because I rarely see a non native speaker use the particle form of "дa"
>>
>>9481814

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain you use the genitive plural here.
>>
>>9481820
yes i am. if you mean this

> Пoжил oн y мeня тaким мaнepoм нeдeль c шecть — дa oпять в Mocквy

it is a quote from turgenev's "paccкaз oтцa aлeкceя"
>>
French. Planning to major in it so I'm learning really fast. Wish I had taken it in highschool tho, it's hard to be a language major if you started from 101.
>>
>>9481101
I remember reading something about how the written system was super flexible, and that non-written languages are often written in Korean. Could be totally wrong tho
>>
I want to learn Spanish because I'm an American politics major and I want that extra selling point. My girlfriend is Bosnian, so I kind of want to learn Bosnian so I can talk to her parents.
I don't know where to start with either, any tips?
>>
>>9482436
Hangul was perfect for the language it was invented for at the time it was invented (Korean), but some sound shifts have occurred without an update of the orthography, and you still need to learn the letter clusters to read effectively. The modified latin alphabet is still the most efficient way to transcribe unwritten languages.

La korealfabeto estas perfekta por la lingvo gxi estis krei por (korea), sed sonmovoj okazis post tiam sen novorthografio, kio signifas ke la du ne kongruas nun. Latina leteroj ankoraux estas la plejbona metodo por skribi malskribigxaj lingvoj.

Vi cxiuj probable povas vidi ke mi studas Esperanto. Kiel vi cxiuj probable ankaux povas vidi, mi rapide lernas gxin.

Had to look up:
Shift
Orthography
Match
>>
any ideas on how to perfect my english? i'm at c1 level now and read mostly english lit, but i still feel like i lack the skills to articulate myself exactly the way i intend to.

my native language is german and i'd say i'm rather eloquent in speaking it.
best way would obviously be exchange year but i won't have the chance for that til i'm in 3rd semester of uni.

need input pls
>>
Spanish. Pretty well, I'm somewhat competent in it, can read it and understand most but have trouble articulating my own sentences beyond basic grammar. Thankfully I work with some native speakers that deal with me trying to talk to them in their tongue, gives me a lot more practical experience than Duolingo.

At a much slower pace, Japanese, which is one hell of a language to tackle.
>>
>>9483626
>but i still feel like i lack the skills to articulate myself exactly the way i intend to.

Dude I'm a native English speaker and I can't do that.
>>
>>9477224
You sound like a twat
>>
German, Polish and Japanese. Polish is a surprisingly simple language and fun to learn. For Japanese, I'm mostly focusing on kanji at the moment, as it's my weakest point. For German, I'm just doing Duolingo until a new semester starts so I can start taking courses at my uni.
>>
>>9477667
I could not find this, is it available in online format?
>>
>>9477722
>>9477522
hey lads considering you are both from scotland - is there any worthwhile lit stuff to see whilst visiting?
>>
>>9477246
>honor

It's honour for BE, faggit. Just let this faggitocracy go and embrace the American way. It's already much more intuitive for you.
>>
>>9477560
just get the pdf version of tae kims guide, youll probably have to read it multiple times to make it stick but its the most straight forward way to continue after learning kana.
>>
>>9477327
>Chinese

I'm looking to learn some basic Chinese since I'm planning on teaching there next year. Could you recommend any resources?
>>
>>9483645
the problem is that i am very well versed in german, so i can do it in my native language but not in english, which is what frustrates me since i don't know how to change that
>>
>>9483674
Does Duolingo help when starting out?
>>
>>9468491
German, hard, slow. But being forced to work in a German speaking environment is helping
>>
>>9470482
You wot m8? German is considered harder than romance languages for English speakers. French is piss easy
>>
>>9471773
cum poti sa ne tradezi in asa hal
>>
>>9483981
My advice, think of how the language looks in the very nuanced places. Notice the way people use silence, accentuate certain words, use some out of expectation.

I teach TEFL and the biggest gap I'd see in C1 and C2 is that the C2's don't give a shit. They don't stop themselves to struggle to think of a complex word or speak too quickly or use too many details.
They take it slow and they speak with easy confidence knowing how much just a single simple word can mean in a certain context.
>>
>>9483990
It's a start, just make sure to read all the easily missable grammar shit before the exercises, as the exercises themselves focus only on testing your vocabulary.
>>
>>9474914

Late response, but thanks a lot man. Big help.
>>
>>9485556

Oh, also, a few more questions if you don't mind. How long have you been studying Russian? How many hours do you study per day/week? And, do you use any learning aides like Duolingo or Rosetta Stone or Quizlet?
>>
Language Ranking in Order of Importance to Anglosphere Culture

1. French
2. Latin
3. Ancient Greek

Honorable Mention: German

Other world literature has been important, but the actual language of composition has not been as important to the development of Anglo literature.

Personally I've spent the most time studying the above three. French I'm fluent in, but I find Latin and Greek hard to make time for.
>>
Armenian; slow. More of just learning to construct sentences now
>>
None, because I don't plan to ever leave my own country and reading things in the original language is a dumb meme
>>
>>9486142
Meme? One might even argue that any prose not to mention versed text is untranslatable.
>>
File: Linlithgow_Palace_NW_03.jpg (261KB, 900x476px) Image search: [Google]
Linlithgow_Palace_NW_03.jpg
261KB, 900x476px
>>9483821
National Library of Scotland, National Museums Scotland,
>>
French. Vocab is pretty easy because I know a bit of Spanish. The pronunciation is still fucking me up.

Also cleaning up my Spanish
>>
>>9468491
German, I can read better than I can speak, so that's good.
>>
>>9486320
Even if I thought that was true I could just send an email to a learned person of that language to tell me the meaning behind the translation

I'm not putting in all that effort when there are easier solutions
>>
>>9470473
Which materials/books/programs are you using to learn Russian? If you have any links I wil be grateful. Thanks beforehand.
>>
>>9483670
Just the way I like it.
>>9479059
>>9471829
Keep the English accent.
>>
>>9485928
German is way higher than Latin, its not the fucking 16th century anymore
>>
Mandarin. I started a short while ago, still at the hi-my-name-is I-go-shopping level.

Also French, I guess, but I'm only "learning" it by reading bits and pieces of it.
>>9479583
Find out what all the bits and pieces mean. Hao, for example, becomes a shitload easier to remember when you learn it's Woman and Child.

And then write them out nigger.

And whatever you do, do not do >>9481079
>>
>>9471829
You should be aware that every Anglophone ever will find a Spanish accent sexier.
>>
I've studied to years worth of Italian at uni level, and I'm taking an advanced review of the language in the fall of next year.

I just finished my second semester of Latin. Towards the end we began to start sinking our teeth into unaltered texts, and it has been amazing.

This summer I'm doing a basic Greek program at CUNY that is worth 12 credits. You basically learn how to read semi-well in 10 weeks. I'm very excited for this level of immersion.
>5 days a week
>08:00 - 16:00
>basically a summer
>>
>>9488071
Jesus I need to go to sleep
that post is riddled with typos
>>
>>9486142
>I don't plan to ever leave my own country
This better be for some sob-story medical reason. Retardation doesn't count.
>>
>>9468587
>Večinoma slovenščina
na čiju korist? franc peršun je jedini koji valja
>>
>>9488047
>You should be aware that every Anglophone ever will find a Spanish accent sexier.

lol no, you'll be looked down on as a wetback subhuman
>>
>>9488098
t. nobody ever
>>
>>9468587
>Večinoma slovenščina
for what purpose
>>9488091
speek gud inglish niger
>>
>>9477710
That would be: multa agenda sunt
Or, perhaps, multa mihi agenda sunt
>>
>>9468587
Any Russian learning tips for a west slav who took 3 years of classes but was fucking dens e and forgot everything. I would understad 20-40% percent of every day russki talk, 60-80% is what I understand from reading if you give me a couple of moments to decipher cyrillic. Should I start with conjugating verbs and declension of nouns and 1000 popular vocab? Don't wanna start with dumb shit like здpacтвyйтe and кaк дeлa?
>>
>>9489210

What you should do is just read books and find a way to memorise the vocabulary you don't know. I like anki decks for this but everybody has a different preference. After that just find someone to try to talk to in it or watch youtube videos if all you care about is comprehension.

Although if you want to do verb conjugations and basic shi like that I'd recommend powering through a textbook as quick as you can. You're coming from another slavic language so there are probably better books available in your native language than I can recommend you
>>
>>9468491
Deutsch, slow.
But I'm taking it as a hobby, because of it my learning is slow
>>
>>9468520
Das vergüenza ajena.
>>
>>9477587
No, it's not.
>>
>>9468491
>>
Been learning Japanese for about a year. I almost memorized all the katakana
>>
>>9491474
Oye ChiKo Ke T PaSSA? no veZ QuE L KieRe saBer esPañOl??
>>
>>9470484

You'll inevitably think that until you seriously begin to pursue whatever language you end up studying, at which point you'll rationalize that that was the one you wanted to study all along. That's how I viewed my picking up Russian.
>>
>>9468491
Japanese. I'm decent at everything besides Kanji
>>
>>9492011
Hopefully. I'm just having trouble deciding which one(s) to seriously pursue.
>>
>>9491790
Get serious, senpai. Kanas with combinations should take you two weeks at most.

If you're serious about learning Japanese you should get to the kanji as soon as possible and start exploring grammatical structures.There are many basic grammar books online you can find easily.

It all comes down to how strong your personal desire is. If you really want to do it, you'll see progress soon.

頑張って!
>>
I`ve been learning spanish , but the lack vocabulary is fucking me up. Any of you, spanish speakers, have a good place for advanced vocabulary?
>>
Dutch, fast.
>>
>>9468491

Was playing with german, russian, and Spanish, but recently went balls deep into german-only study because I need to get good for a class I'm taking soon.
Still slow going, but getting better. Remembering vocabulary is difficult
>>
>>9468491
Spanish

Goot
>>
ctrl+f swedish, no results
Var ar mina svenska vanner
(Fuck this english keyboard)
>>
Who here is actually taking classes to learn their language?
>>
>>9494345
/lit/ is an exclusively autodidactic Catholic board.
>>
>>9468491
I know English, German, Russian.
Studying Japanese. My understanding of it is solid, but needs a lot of padding. The pace is faster than ever because I'm going all out on reading novels.

If I'm ever satisfied with my knowledge of Japanese, I will learn Latin.
>>
Why's Russian so popular?
>>
>>9477224
>>9471829
If your the same anon who was trying to go for the RP accent just dont, RP just has connotations of ignorance about british culture, like how the yanks say "english accent" and then do RP ignoring all the other accents. RP wont make you seem posh in any aspect at all dude it will make you look like an idiot who doesnt understand it. Go for a LIGHT southern one, that way it shows your not a fucking idiot and you know regions roughly.
No one wants to spend time with someone who speaks RP.
Or go for the Yorkshire master race.
>>
>>9494443

Any special tips for learning german (and/or russian)? I've started browsing kraut /int/ threads and listening to slowly spoken news segments, but it seems progress is slow going that way
>>
>>9495292
Because it's the language Jesus spoke.
>>
Yiddish

Only learning so I can make fun of Jews
>>
>>9495335
He is probably a sperg, just let him be
>>
English
Ask me something hard in english
>>
Spanish because muh Borges
>>
>>9495292
Comfy Dovsto and so and so.
>>
>>9495292
Prime autismo for dumb dumbs that are too dumb to actually tackle German
>>
>>9495399
Jesus spoke korean
>>
>>9495905
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
>>
Learning Russian. Making my way through Gogol's "the nose" without too much difficulty. By this I mean all grammatical structures I get easily but am still having to use a dictionary constantly.

I'm considering paying for an online tutor for a while. I can't take classes as I live in the middle of nowhere in a small country where I have to search quite hard to find a person not of my nationality
>>
>>9468491
spanish
creo que voy mejorando aun hago errores
>>
Should I even try with Latin if I have a terrible memory? I only speak English fluently.
>>
>>9498518
As much as /lit/ hates to mention it Latin is a dead language. The best you can manage to learn is how to read it but even the best Latin scholars in the world can't speak it. Also Latin is just like any other global language in that it has like a million different versions and some region specific vocab and whatnot but with a good reading guide you can eventually read most surviving Latin texts.
>>
>>9498015
hago means make in the specific context of creating something, what you're looking for is "cometo errores" (inf :cometer) which means make as in do something.
>>
Why do I get bullied so much whenever I speak Spanish to native Spanish speakers? Most of the time I don't make grammar mistakes I just stumble over a word and I can hear them suck their teeth or make fun of me when I turn around. And on the occasion that I do make a grammar mistake,even if I correct myself, they just act outright rude and either stop talking to me all together or they start speaking in English. What am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to improve my Spanish if no-one is willing to humor me and talk to me in Spanish. I live in Miami by the way, I've noticed the Cubans/Puerto Ricans aren't as bad about it they just giggle and keep talking or correct me nicely and smile to me but Mexicans and South Americans can get pretty mean.
>>
Started learning French using Assimil just a few days ago. I feel like I'm using Assimil wrong because it seems like I'm not really retaining anything, but also I've heard from some people that have used Assimil before that it generally takes awhile for it to feel like its working.
>>
I'll finish my degree in October and plan to do a gap year.

I'd like to polish my Croatian skills.

I'd like to learn French, Japanese and eventually Russian. I speak German and English fluently and was quite able in Latin, but that was 9 years ago.

Do some of you have some of ideas/opinions on how to approach this generally, regarding my current set? I'm speaking about the next 5 - 10 years.
>>
>>9495353
Read children's books. Once you can read them fluently, start reading children's books while listening to the audiobook at the same time. Keep increasing the difficulty of the books until you can read Mann.
>>
>>9499372
Get started with French right away. The shared vocabulary and your knowledge of Latin will definitely help tremendously. It's ez.

I don't know much about Russian but Japanese will be SIGNIFICANTLY harder than French, you really have to commit to it. As a German speaker you could probably learn Swedish in the time it takes you to learn the Japanese syllabary, so unless you're a huge weeb don't bother.
>>
>>9499268
cuck
>>
>>9499414
Fuck you; fight me.
>>
I have a copy of Wheelock's latin but I've hardly read any of it yet.
>>
>>9499366
you have to review the lessons

ex.:

day 1.lesson 1
day 2.review lesson 1, lesson 2
day 3. review 1 and 2, lesson 3

review them until you feel comfy, then move on. prob 3 or 4 days in a row of review shud do it. then review them again like a week or 2 later.

review is most important part of language learning and it is why assimil is so good, because you get small digestible dialogues that are memorable if you review them.
>>
>>9470737
Wheelock is the only text you'll need to learn Latin up to the intermediate level. just be sure to make vocabulary flashcards for reinforcement. after that, the gallic wars. then try Livy.
>>
>>9499726
This is more or less what I have been doing. I'm just worried it's not sticking. I'm really not that far in to it yet though, so I'm sure I just need to give it more time. Thanks for the advice though.
>>
>>9474993
Spengler is hard to understand even for English speakers
>>
>>9468491
Japanese. Studying and living in Tokyo should make it easier but its hard to get my shit together with unmotivating people around me. Totally should ignore them though.
>>
>>9474993
German is literally the easiest language if english is your native language, you are just lazy. If you studied every day (with holidays weekends etc) for an hour at least you could read spengler within 2 years.
>>
>>9500641
nordic languges are much easier

you could probably reach a high level in french faster than in german (even though english speakers can't into french pronunciation)
>>
>>9477132
>I was pictish

You *were* Pictish? It's like an Irish person saying they're actually Cruithne
>>
>>9500793
He didn't say he was a pict, just pictish.
>>
>>9500804
It still makes no sense either way and my analogy holds.
>>
>>9500807
You never know, maybe he identifies as an asteroid?
>>
File: Castlesween.jpg (1MB, 3049x1297px) Image search: [Google]
Castlesween.jpg
1MB, 3049x1297px
>>9500818
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruthin
>>
>>9479037

Christ, I've been doing german off and on for like 2 years and I can't even read Momo kek. Can more or less keep up with /int/ threads though. Good on you and your progress, my guy. Any particular book/resource you're using?
>>
>>9483943

Honestly, you really need to take a class to make useful progress, but using the Integrated Chinese books and listening obsessively to the included audio will help a lot. Chinese, far more than a European language, takes a long time just to get your 'sea legs', tbqh senpai. I took up the advanced level at my university and there are still relatively basic things that I'm not sure about. I can be understood, but I never feel remotely articulate.
>>
>>9500641
>muh english is a germanic language

You don't know what you're talking about and I guarantee that your German is dreadful.
>>
I just finished the first book of Athenaze for Ancient Greek. I can read a surprising amount of Anabasis, but I will definitely finished the second volume of Athenaze first, to make reading anything in the original smoother.

I also just started on Georgian. There is, surprisingly, at least one good self-learning book, namely Beginner's Georgian with 2 Audio CDs. It was 25 dollars on Amazon, so not as bad as you might expect based on the obscurity of the language. I learned to read the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets in less than an hour and fluidly in less than a week, but the Georgian one, while easy enough to puzzle through, has never started to feel natural. This language is also apparently frustrate invaders. Read about Georgian verb screeves and split-ergativity. Absolute insanity.
>>
>>9501375
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne
>>
>>9501552

Why have you decided to learn Georgian?
>>
>>9501552

That should say 'designed to frustrate invaders'. For example: "The remarkable aspect of Georgian, though, occurs in its so-called split ergativity. This takes the following form: in some tenses of the verb, notably the subjunctive and the aorist tense (a form of the past tense which implies neither completed nor uncompleted actions), the constituents will be marked with the ergative and absolutive case markings; in most other tenses, on the other hand, the sentence falls into the 'normal' pattern of nominative-accusative declension."

and

"Harris has developed a set of generalizations regarding ergativity and tense relationships in Georgian. Her work utilizes the separations of different verbs into classes, a theory which seems to be generally accepted by other Georgian specialists, as well as a second separation of tenses into different classes. Essentially, she divides all Georgian verbs into four classes, based primarily on phonological and morphological distinctions. A summary of her classification criteria can be rendered thus: [6]
Class 1:
a. The future and aorist tenses are formed with a preverb.
b. In the future tense, the suffix -s marks third person singular subjects, the suffix -en third person plural subjects.
c. In the aorist tense, the third person plural subject is marked by the suffix -es.
Class 2:
a. The future and aorist tenses are formed with a preverb or the character vowel e-.
b. In the future tense, the suffix -a marks third person singular subjects, the suffix -an third person plural subjects.
c. In the aorist tense, the third person plural subject is marked by the suffix -nen.
Class 3:
a. The future and aorist tenses are formed with the circumfix i -- (eb).
b. In the future tense, the suffix -s marks third person singular subjects, the suffix -en third person plural subjects.
c. In the aorist tense, the third person plural subject is marked by the suffix -es.
Class 4:
a. The future and aorist tenses are formed with the character vowel e-.
b. In the future tense, the suffix -a marks third person singular subjects.
c. In the aorist tense, the third person plural final subject is marked as a singular."

Even expert linguists have a hard time understanding just how this language works.
>>
>>9468491
Hebrew , very slow unfortunately
>>
>>9501569

For one, I keep having recurring nightmares that I am trapped permanently in Georgia and I cannot make myself understood. These dreams began about the time I read a bunch of works by Ilia Chavchavadze (I recommend reading Georgian literature - it has a very odd pseduo-European-ness to it that just about falls into a cultural 'uncanny valley'. I can attempt to explain this in another post.). So this is in some way a cultural interest in Georgian and the Caucasus generally.

Secondly, I study linguistics for fun and Georgian is basically the strangest language I know of that is not constructed. The alphabet is also aesthetically nice. Also, the Caucasus is one of the most interesting areas in the world in terms of linguistic diversity/strangeness, so I think it would be interesting to get a bit of a grip on at least one of the languages. If I can get somewhere with Georgian, I will give Abkhaz or Armenian a try.
>>
>>9501605

Cool, thanks.
I'm interested in most of the Indo-European and Semitic languages and your post has made me curious about Georgian for the first time.
>>
>>9477574
Same here. I'm able to read with niqqudot now but grammar etc is really difficult. It's at the point where I start over and over and always give up because I feel like there's not enough progress going on
>>
Iam learning english languange. With the first class school. Native language: russian.

Ask your answer.
>>
>>9501420
Thanks senpai. It helps that I'm a uni student, so I've been taking German classes as electives for this past 9 months and I'm forced to write/speak it most days of the week.

The book we use is "Wie geht's?" 10th edition by Dieter Sevin. I don't have anything to compare it to but it's served me pretty well so far. You can find a full PDF of it on library genesis.

Other than that, there are a few used bookstores around here that have cheap German novels (like $3-$5 each). I like to grab some of those and try reading a bit of them each day
>>
french. Duolingo says I'm 53% fluent. Kind of weird because I've completed like 5 lessons and the number doesn't go up
>>
Been hitting the wall with latin for the last 6 months or so. I'm halfway done with Vulgata, and I don't feel like I've become any better since starting. I think I'm at the point where you need to start heavily investing time for diminishing returns.
>>
>>9468491
I really want to learn Russian as my second language but I dunno. I really just wanna learn it because S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>>
>>9501663
чтo ты тyт дeлaeшь? дaвaй пoзнaкoмимcя
я мoгy тeбe пoмoгaть yчить aнглийcкий ecли ты бyдeшь мнe пoмoгaть (тo ecть, мы мoжeм oбщaтьcя пo-aнглийcки и пo-pyccки чтoбы пpaктикoвaть и пoмoгaть дpyг дpyгy).
>>
>>9468505
Has anyone here tried latin via ovid?
>>
>>9503804

Yes, it's excellent. Highly recommend.
>>
French.

Using Lingvest for vocab right now and finding it a lot better than duolingo in terms of vocab they start off with and speed of learning.

after about 500 or so words I'll probably start adding childrens books and cartoons.
Thread posts: 253
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.