[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I don't actually like reading, but I want to like reading.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

So I don't actually like reading, but I want to like reading. Reading was never a relaxing thing for me. All of the books that I pick up, I sort of have to push myself to get past them, because they tire me out very quickly. A marathon for me is usually 60 pages, or at best 100 pages. I can usually only read about 20 pages a day though.

I do value the books that I have read, because I like to feel like I can take something away from a story, or that it opens up my mind to new ways of thinking. It's just that I wish I could actually feel some relaxation in it, and not feel that it was this serious undertaking which takes determination and patience. Can anyone else relate to this? I read about 11 books last year, and I've so far finished one this year. There's plenty more books which I just could not finish though, like brave new world, blood meridian, moby dick, nausea, hunger, fucking ulysses, notes from underground, etc.
>>
Read something bite sized frist and easy to digest, like the cacther in the rye. It never once felt like a mendokusai to me while reading it. You should finish it in 7 hours.
>>
>>9463569
I've read it. It was good. Books like that are super easy to read.
>>
File: 1491640447449.jpg (328KB, 1080x1182px) Image search: [Google]
1491640447449.jpg
328KB, 1080x1182px
What stops you from relaxing while reading? disinterest? distraction?
>>
>>9463580
Have you read animal farm? It's also pretty easy to read.
>>
>>9463594
I'll read it eventually. I liked 1984, but I just haven't been in the mood for more orwell lately. The time has to be right for me to be in the right mindset to enjoy a book.
>>
>>9463392
20 pages a day isn't bad, anon. This isn't a race. Read at your own pace desu.
>>
>>9463392
Try books that were originally serialised. I think Dickens and Dostoevsky were both published one chapter at a time in literary magazines. Read them at the pace they were originally read at.
>>
>>9463637
This. Keep reading 20 pages a day and give it some time. Also, try non-fiction on topics you enjoy and are interested in. Those are easier to read generally.

Another thing I usually do is browse through books before committing to read one. Just go to your library or download them, depending on what you're used to, and try to skim through the first chapter of a big bunch of books and see which ones do you prefer, and why did you like them. This will serve you to find more books to read later.
>>
>he fell for the reading meme
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.